• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S v1 Ram help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tdenton

Hi all.

I have an NF7-s (dual channel ram) with a 2500+ and have decided I need more ram. I currently only have 2 x 128 which just won't cut it for Far Cry (or rally XP for that matter). I'm thinking I need 1 Gig, but am not very excited about getting 2 x 512 so here's the question:

How much will I lose by going 1 x 1024 (for a gig) versus 2 x 256 for 512mb? Either way, this is now not my primary computer, so overclocking is not a major priority (although its still an option).

I can't imagine it makes much sense to go with only 512 (2 x 256), but the cost of 2 x 512 is kinda scary. Maybe I should get one 512 today and get another later...? Maybe just one stick of 1Gbyte pc2700... What do you all think?

Thanks very much!

Tad

If you are strapped for cash, I would say get one 512MB stick right now (which by itself will be an improvent over your current RAM). Then, after you get some more funds, add another 512MB stick later on. 1 x 1GB is going to be pretty expensive (at least from what I have seen), and will not be as good a performer when compared to 2 x 512. Plus you can use Dual Channel with 2 x 512, whereas you cant if you just get a 1GB stick.

Back