• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nightmare Intel HSF Problem: Help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

patriotdb23

Hey guys,

You might have seen me posting around these forums trying to get your input on some parts for my new KILLER gaming machine. Well after all that and waiting for the parts to get here I had some fun putting together the system. In doing this I only had one problem that made it a little tricky. THE STOCK INTEL HEATSINK FAN. I did all the grunts and hard labor that goes into those things to get them on until it looked pretty snug and I could see all the pins expanding and on the other side ( I did it with the mobo out which helped some ). Anyways after finishing connecting everything else I powered it up installed windows, drivers , etc. Then I installed COD 4 and started testing it out on singleplayer and wow it looked great! After a few minutes later of playing it just plain shut off and started trying to start back up repeatedly then shut off until i switched off the switch on the PSU. I let it cool down and then I have tried to start it back up only to see it on for 1 sec then it dies. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that fan is not all the way on and oh ya when I felt the HSF after I had been playing it was only mildly warm which surprised me cuz I had just been playing and everything else was warm/hot. I think it could be the CPU or HSF for it... you guys ever heard of a problem like this?

SUMMARY
Intel Stock HSF is a pain, looked like it's on
PC worked loaded windows etc
Playing COD4 it died and repeatedly started restarting itself
Now, powers on for 1 sec then turns off
I think it's an overheat problem of the CPU... maybe?

SPECS:
DFI LAN PARTY DK P35 T2RS
Intel Core 2 Duo LGA 775 e7200
OCZ 2x 2 GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400
ATI RADEON SAPPHIRE 4850
Audigy 2 ZS
OCZ Gamestream 600W
Rosewill TU-155 Case

Yes you need to take the HSF off reapply some thermal past and reset you HSF . NOW !!! Let us know how that helps . If nothing els make sure your voltage and every thing in the bios is set to stock for now . You need a better cooler so look into one soon .

Okay thanks and I did use Artic Silver 5 when I did it but I'll try taking it out and reapplying another coat.

- Also Yeah I am looking for a different cooler. I liked the Artic Freezer 64 when I had an AMD system and I know the Artic Freezer 7 Pro is for Intel and on newegg it has some good reviews but I saw its got push pins like the stock Intel HSF had so I'm a bit hesitate. Anyone know how easy they are to install cuz if there the same as the Stock then no way jose!!

Stock cooler is not horrible on E7200.. Don't install it with the mobo out though, you can break stuff doing it that way. Mount the mobo in the case (using all of the standoffs of course) and then push the HSF into place. It's a lot easier that way, trust me. Do 1 corner, then the opposite corner, then the other 2. You'll feel it click into place.

Also Yeah I am looking for a different cooler. I liked the Artic Freezer 64 when I had an AMD system and I know the Artic Freezer 7 Pro is for Intel and on newegg it has some good reviews but I saw its got push pins like the stock Intel HSF had so I'm a bit hesitate. Anyone know how easy they are to install cuz if there the same as the Stock then no way jose!!

To me, if you are going to buy aftermarket cooling, you shouldn't even look at anything that doesn't have a bolt-through kit. Push pins are absolute garbage, no matter what they are connected to, imo.

Okay thanks and I did use Artic Silver 5 when I did it but I'll try taking it out and reapplying another coat.

- Also Yeah I am looking for a different cooler. I liked the Artic Freezer 64 when I had an AMD system and I know the Artic Freezer 7 Pro is for Intel and on newegg it has some good reviews but I saw its got push pins like the stock Intel HSF had so I'm a bit hesitate. Anyone know how easy they are to install cuz if there the same as the Stock then no way jose!!

You should be looking at some thing different . the Artics are junk IMHO go with a Turniq or a Tt tower or some thing that is bigger than the Artics . I would suggest a Ultra chilltech as for me this has been the best cooler ever but it is a bit pricey .

But just remember you get what you pay for and if you intend to OC and HIGH then a $27 dallor HSF is going to cool like one at best .

Actually not true. The S1283 is an amazing value, especially compared to a TRUE or Chilltec.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article818-page7.html
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...task=view&id=81&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=3 (yes, it beats the Chilltec)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-xigmatek_9.html#sect0
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2233&page=5

I could go on and on but suffice to say, you just knocked the best value in air cooling available :)

Look I don't care really I am just giving my point of view . You can get what ever you want makes no difference to me at all . Heck stay with the stock HSF .
It all boils down to how cool you want it how much you want to spend and what you want . Not what I want .

Look I don't care really I am just giving my point of view . You can get what ever you want makes no difference to me at all . Heck stay with the stock HSF .
It all boils down to how cool you want it how much you want to spend and what you want . Not what I want .

Speaking of what you want, you might look into swapping that Chilltec for the S1283 as well. It runs cooler and uses much less power.

Gonna have to agree with ratbuddy you don't need to spend big money on a cooler to get good preformance for 45nm. I was looking at the S1283 and I'd have one if I wasn't using this ninja

Ok after working on it all morning I got a suggestion from my dad to try a different powersupply. I grabbed my old OCZ 450W and gave it a try. Whaddyaknow it worked.. looks like I have a bad PSU. Once I got it running tho I got CoreTemp and saw my cpu is at 50 degrees Celsius with 0% load.. that's pretty high isnt it? Also with the CPU temp and only a 450 Watt do you think it's safe to play some COD4 or should I wait for a replacement PSU and HSF for my CPU?

Thanks

WOW them temps are high ! I would be getting a HSF first any thing is better than what you have there .

CRAP If I said the zalman 9700 I am sure some one here will say the zalman 9500 and If I say the Artic Freezer pro7 I am more than sure some one will say the zalman 9700 so get what you want ! As any thing I say here is completely torn apart and discounted as nothing more than an idiot !

Ok after working on it all morning I got a suggestion from my dad to try a different powersupply. I grabbed my old OCZ 450W and gave it a try. Whaddyaknow it worked.. looks like I have a bad PSU. Once I got it running tho I got CoreTemp and saw my cpu is at 50 degrees Celsius with 0% load.. that's pretty high isnt it? Also with the CPU temp and only a 450 Watt do you think it's safe to play some COD4 or should I wait for a replacement PSU and HSF for my CPU?

Thanks

How hot is the heatsink? If it's not that hot it implies that it's making poor contact and you want to double check you have the right amount of TIM and that it's on as securely as possible.

If it's really hot then it's just not cutting it. Are you running stock voltages?

Also: what are your ambient temperatures?

Also also: What are your voltages like, with both PSUs? Is there more than a +/- 5% difference between actual and target voltages for 5V and 12V lines?

If it's really hot then it's just not cutting it. Are you running stock voltages?

Also: what are your ambient temperatures?

Also also: What are your voltages like, with both PSUs? Is there more than a +/- 5% difference between actual and target voltages for 5V and 12V lines?

When we were installing the HSF on my e7200 I'll say it again it was a pain and we really don't know if we put it on like its suppose to be. It stays on there now but the push pins on it made us steam. Maybe if you or anyone knows a trick to putting it on they could share because just pushin on it is where we're at. The black pins in the middle that make the clear ones separate is showing so we concluded that was good enough for us..

Yes I am running stock voltages. (Just put it together yesterday)

Ambient Temperatures? How do I check? Is there a way in Core temp? I just downloaded it.

After last night when it quit working this morning when it wouldnt even stay on longer than 1 sec I put a different PSU in and now it's working so I am RMAing the 600W OCZ to zipzoomfly.

Back