• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No hastle tec for 1156

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok so normally i dont like to post links to other forums but in this case. This guy over at OCN has setup a very nice set it and forget it TEC WB for the 1156 socket. Not sub zero cooling but still a nice boost.

The bigger one seems awkwardly designed to me. Im talking to a few of the people over there about a potential PWM controlled pelt controller. Im thinking about doing a custom pelt rig that can be controlled via the cpu fan header. Unlike these designs that are setup to stay above the due point Id be looking for max performance under load.

That large peltier stack that he has, probably has a disgusting amount of power pull, if hes using 400watt peltiers like on his other build that is. Full out would be something like 2400watts of power consumption. You'd be better off just making a chiller for your water at that point. I'd don't see the requirement for such a large amount of peltier cooling. Not to mention they are severly limited on just how far they can pull the temperatures down.

The amount of money that you would have to sink into upgrading the rest of your setup would probably be better spent on a phase change setup. Or one of TiN's Water chiller setups.

Im guessing that they are the same 400w pelts but since hes running them at 12v rather than 24v it cuts down the power pull. I do agree that the 4pelt design is un needed especially since their aim is no condensation.

The single pelt setup is better IMO for that application. The pelt controllers that they are building over there caught my eye.

I know all about the efficiency issues of pelts, If i were looking for a serious sub zero configuration Id be all over phase change.

What makes pelts attractive is how small and convenient they are. No compressor needed etc. But of course, they'll either draw as much power as phase change for far inferior performance, or draw significantly more power than a straight water setup for not much more performance. He has slick setups going, but overall they're not too practical...sort of a shame because such setups are pretty nice to look at.

Edit- the 4 pelts might very well be needed...he's cooling an i7 970 at well over 4ghz.

Yeah i do like peltiers, They are sure quick to work with most of the time in terms of setup. But the turn off for me is mostly the required power draw to efficiency.

I don't think a 970 is putting out 1600watts of heat though. Though upon running some numbers Its probably for efficiency so he doesnt have to run quite as high of a load, and achieve a more efficient level of performance as he throttles it up and down.

I'll have to throw my phase change setup on my kill a watt later. I am fairly sure that the power pull is a joke compared to even a single pleltier.

I think for barely sub ambient the 4 pelts is probably overkill. That setup pushing 18v to the pelts would probably be decent for cooling but youd have to deal with all that extra heat somewhere.

Pelts increase in efficiency as you undervolt them. at 1/2 volts you get ~1/3 thermal for 1/4 the power draw.

Back