• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No idea what is going on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So I shut my computer off today and go back to it several hours later to boot it up. I am now met with a computer that turns on for roughly 5 -7 seconds and then shuts off. It posted the BIOs one time after draining the power out of the board (flip the power switch and hold down the power button until the green light on the MoBo go off).

I have tried reseating the memory, put the memory into different slots, unplugging all non essential USB devices and resetting the CMOS. The computer does not shut off when I have the CMOS in the other spot but then again it just sits at a black screen.

I am baffled on this one guys and gals. No one was near the computer - works one second and a few hours later its just shutting it self off before posting the Mobo info. Any ideas? :rain:

Update: so i unplugged everything and let it sit there with no power while I wrote the above post. I am not not getting a post from the computer. The computer fires up but nothing. Just blank screen. The MOBO toast?

Last edited:
Try testing with one stick of RAM if you have more than one, and each separately. To me that would be the first thing I'd try, then test power output on the PSU. Next up the VRMs could be toast. Just throwing stuff against the wall here.

Either a failing/failed PSU or motherboard most likely. Time to start swapping out parts with known good parts. Before that, though, at least try resetting the CMOS.

Make sure to check you mobo manual when you do the 1 ram stick check. I've seen mobo that count (starting at the cpu) 4/2/3/1 and also 1/3/2/4 .

I would also guess at a failing PSU first, failing mobo 2nd. Bad caps either in the PSU or mobo causing voltages to go out of spec.

I would also guess at a failing PSU first, failing mobo 2nd. Bad caps either in the PSU or mobo causing voltages to go out of spec.

My thoughts as well...
Look for any sighs of bulging or blown caps. Shine a flashlight through the PSU's grill rather than opening it up. - that's risky

So I shut my computer off today and go back to it several hours later to boot it up. I am now met with a computer that turns on for roughly 5 -7 seconds and then shuts off.
Check your AIO pump. Sounds like a overheat situation.

The computer does not shut off when I have the CMOS in the other spot but then again it just sits at a black screen.
This created your second problem. You never ever power up a board with the CMOS jumper shorted. This can kill your bios chip.
You need a board now. Is RMA still an option?

This is the single weirdest thing ever. I did try running it with just one stick and I also pulled out another PSU and tried firing it up attached to that and nothing. Frustrated and at a loss of what it could be, I unplugged everything and went to bed.

Get up this morning plug everything back in and it fired up. Just asked me to reset everything after resetting the CMOS, but it's working fine now.

What on earth? Im more worried that this could happen again and that it could be a failing part - but with it working right now I don't really know how to do process of elimination.

The computer does not shut off when I have the CMOS in the other spot but then again it just sits at a black screen.

Good catch Mr. Scott. I missed this statement.

You are very fortunate my friend that you did not permanently bork the bios chip.

Never, no never, not ever should you jumper the CMOS while the board is powered. In fact, pull the plug from the back of the PSU before you attempt this and don't power on until you have restored the CMOS jumper to its original position. With five gold stars under your user name I would have expected you to know that.

The thing to do now is to wait and see if it acts up again. Then start with swapping out the PSU. That is the easiest part to replace and less expensive than the motherboard. If the problem persists, it is likely the motherboard.

Last edited:
Gremlins. :p

See the second part of my post. You were lucky. Don't ever do that again.

Gremlins. :p

See the second part of my post. You were lucky. Don't ever do that again.

I dont really know what I was thinking. I was tired and honestly it's been years since I have had to do that - I think I honestly just forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

But as someone else suggested, it could be a thermal shutdown issue. Check your CPU package temp in bios and check to see if the pump impeller is spinning. The will show up as a fan RPM on that header in the PC Health section or whatever it's called in your bios. It's the tab where all the voltages and fan speeds are reported.

So the issue came back again. Started swapping out parts. Third thing I tried was the power supply and boom, everything is working again. Guess it's time to get a new one. Kind of disappointed being this one is only a few years old...

And it was a quality unit as well. But they all die sooner or later. And when they do they often take out other components with them. Looks like you escaped that fate.

Quality PSUs, like his XFX, tend not to take other parts out because of the protection circuitry insude them versus not in others. Its the cheap PSUs that have a propensity to take other things down with it.

Last edited:
RAIDMAX is notorious for being ****. $100 1KW PSU just smells of garbage. That said, it may be ok...what reviews did you read? Can you link them?

Its a HEC unit... but...

Also, why do you need 1KW? Your signature setup would be quite happy at 650W...(EVGA GS650)...

EDIT (review): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?289819-Raidmax-Vampire-RX-1000GH

Seems like its Ok if you need a 1KW unit...;)

That is one of the reviews I read.

I know I don't need a 1000 but it was priced well, modular, and the white caught my eye.

I like to have enough juice that I can add another card if I ever decide to do so. With that said, I know 1000 is still overkill.

Personally, I would rather spend the same/bit more on a higher quality unit with less wattage. EVGA G2 850W comes to mind for your setup.

Back