• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No New Messages AMD ATHLON XP 3000+ (SYSTEM CRASHES AT NORMAL SPEED)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

randallp.floyd

AMD ATHLON XP 3000+ (SYSTEM CRASHES AT NORMAL SPEED)

Here is my problem (I hope someone can help):

I recently installed an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2X200MHz) in my ASUS A7N8X-X mobo. Everything runs just fine under normal conditions. However, when I launch certain games, the system crashes after about 10-15 mins. Other high-demand games run just fine (it actually seems that the lower CPU intensive games have the problems).

I have noticed that if I back the clock speed down to about 175MHz (or less), everything runs great (if a little slow). I believe this is because that is the speed at which the memory defaults to "tighter" timings (i.e. - 3-4-4-7). The RAM that I have installed is kind of cheap (it only supports memory timings of 3-3-3-8 @ 200MHz w/ 1:1 FSB-DRAM ratio).

I have done exhaustive web research on this issue and have run numerous diagnostics to ensure that all of my hardware is performing properly (i.e. - OCCT (CPU, GPU & PSU "stress" tests), memtest, etc.). I have also installed SpeeFan (temperature/voltage monitor) to make sure that everything is running in line with tech. specs. Everything looks good and I have found no obvious errors.

-So, my question for the "experts" is this:

*WILL UPGRADING TO HIGH-PERFOMANCE RAM WITH 'TIGHTER" MEMORY TIMINGS (i.e. - 3-3-3-6 (or better)) FIX THIS PROBLEM?*

I have tried everything that I can think of in an attempt to pin down the cause of this instability issue . . . all to no avail! I have exhausted every possible solution that I can come up with and have not been able to fix the problem - I NEED HELP! I am just hoping that someone with some experience and expertise in these matters will read this post and be able to offer some sound suggestions (I am willing to try anything that might work at this point). I just want a decent gaming system that works properly; I can't afford a new one right now.

-Below are my system specifics:

ASUS A7N8X-X ACPI BIOS Rev. 1011
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2X200MHz)
AUSTIN 450W PSU (DR-B450E)
*PC3200 DDR 400 RAM (1.5GB)*
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP (256MB)
WDC WD800JB-00JJA0 (HDD0)
ST380215A (HDD1)
LITE-ON DVDRW SHW - 160P6S (not used for gaming)
NVIDIA nForce2 400 Chipset

I am running Windows XP Pro and have all latest BIOS (Pheonix - Award) & Driver updates (I think)

*** Also, it is important to note that this system was running well with my previous AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU (if a bit slower) *** (all these same games were playable before) ***

-Let me know if you have any further questions or need more information to assess the problem.

-THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS POST - ANY SUGGESTIONS OR SOLUTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!-

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums. Your overclock is unstable.

Your RAM is rated to do 200 FSB by default though your system may only be stable at lower FSB speeds. Do not spend money upgrading your ram.

Power supply brand makes or brakes the overclock, what are you using? Post voltages. We'll help you out.

[200] FSB x 12.5 = 2500 MHz @ 1.87 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [200 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm and 1.6 Vdd
nForce2 Epox 8RDA3+ v2.1, BIOS 07/29/2004
Thermalright SLK-900A with 80x38mm Delta EFB0812HHE fan
Geforce 6800 256MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 500W OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS
Five 80x25mm Case Fans

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=595403

are you sure it's 3-3-3-8? Try 3-4-4-8 timings.

3-3-3-8 is what is supported by the RAM, but 3-4-4-8 is the default timing @ 200MHz. I have tried this and countless other "user defined" timings without good result . . The highest FSB/DRAM timing that has been stable so far is 3-4-4-8(default) @ 177MHz (but that is 33MHz below rated FSB!:shrug: I know this is not a great gaming system, but I at least want to get the 2.1GHz that this configuration is rated for . . .

-(Thanks for your reply)

I used to have that motherboard, that whole chipset generation was finicky about what RAM it was paired with. After you've fiddled with the memory timing and if you think you've exhausted all ends I'd recommend finding some DDR1 RAM while you still can (I had to wait awhile before some Mushkin 2GB became available on newegg).

The problem could also be your power supply, you might want to check the specs on the side. Lots of power supplies that ship with the case don't have the amperage for each voltage line, or wear out quickly and will need replacing.

Welcome to the forums. Your overclock is unstable.

Your RAM is rated to do 200 FSB by default though your system may only be stable at lower FSB speeds. Do not spend money upgrading your ram.

Power supply brand makes or brakes the overclock, what are you using? Post voltages. We'll help you out.

I have upgraded to an AUSTIN 450W PSU (DR-B450E). Voltage rated at +5(50A)/+3.3(28A)/+12(18A). Also, I've run the OCCT diagnostics "stress" tests for CPU, GPU, & PSU (All performed within limits @ 200MHz - no errors or crashes).

Like I said, other CPU-intensive games run just fine. It's the lower-end games that crash my sys (perhaps more RAM-intensive?). For example: Empire TW runs great (if a little slow) w/ 3-4-4-8 timings @ 200MHz. However, Medieval II TW & Rome TW both crash my system within the first 10-15 mins! It seems counter-intuitive that this should be the case, but that's what I'm dealing with :cry:

I don't really understand the clock speed - memory timings relationship, but it seems like my system is more stable w/ "tighter" timings??? (Meaning faster RAM data transfer speeds) . . .

I used to have that motherboard, that whole chipset generation was finicky about what RAM it was paired with. After you've fiddled with the memory timing and if you think you've exhausted all ends I'd recommend finding some DDR1 RAM while you still can (I had to wait awhile before some Mushkin 2GB became available on newegg).

What CPU were you running in that system? What kind of RAM were you using?

Did you run Prime95 Torture test or other stability tests to find out your highest stable overclock before messing with tighter timings.

In other words, before messing with timings, did you put them on Auto to find out your highest stable FSB?

Did you run Prime95 Torture test or other stability tests to find out your highest stable overclock before messing with tighter timings.

In other words, before messing with timings, did you put them on Auto to find out your highest stable FSB?

I have been running the system at manufacturer's recommended defaults (or "auto-detect" settings). But, I am downloding Prime95 now to see what it has to say. -Thanks.

Set your timings to auto. You overclock is unstable. You neeed to increase your voltage while keeping the temperature from climbing toward 60° C.

To test the stability of overclocked CPU, download Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.

Just Stress Testing (if prompted) > OK >
Options > Torture Test > Blend (if prompted) > OK

The program should not give any errors.
It may be necessary to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it may freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not as important.

Running Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes is enough to get a feeling about general stability. If it seems to be stable, increase the FSB (with 0.025V Vcore increase if needed), or increase the multiplier by 0.5 if it's unlocked.

Reboot and run Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes and repeat this until the Program displays errors.
It is then time to back down and repeat the Torture Test until there are no errors for at least 12 hours.

It's OK to use the computer while Prime95 Torture Test is running in the background.

Guys... His 450W PSU that has 15/18a on the 12v rail trying to power his rig......................................................................Austin is made by Chieftec IIRC and CHieftec isnt exactly a solid brand.

HD4850 + AXP = more than that PSU can handle I think.

Last edited:
I think I have resolved this problem . . . I went with a third-party driver package for my GPU (Omega 3.8.422). I had installed the latest ATI Catalyst package when I did the CPU upgrade, but I guess it did not like my new processor. I ran a second battery of "torture" tests and everything looks good now :) I still have not "tested" the system with an extended gaming session; but I am very optimistic.

The results from my second battery of diagnostics are in: The system was stable with no errors after 14 hrs of Prime95 "torture" test and 8 hrs of FurMark "stability" test (running simultaneously - to emulate intensive gaming). So it's looking pretty good.

-THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED FOR YOUR HELP! I'LL LET YOU GUYS KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY FURTHER DEVELOPMENTS . . .

*Also, I found a great site with easy access to hundreds of utility and driver downloads (you guys may already know about this?) If you haven't heard of it before, it's worth checking out:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

-Thanks again!

Back