• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No 'OC' settings in Bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Donnyten

Hello.

I have an HP Pavilion Elite d5000z Desktop computer and am interested in overclocking the cpu.

AMD Phenom x4 9550 2.2 Ghz, Socket AM2+ (940)
4 Gb of DDR2
Mainboard- Viola, Nvidia nforce 720a chipset
Graphics- Gforce GT 640

---
Many modern games run fine but I would like to play a few emulator games that require some hefty cpu power and 2.2 just doesn't cut it. Mainly, The Dolphin emulator for any of you guys who are familiar with it.

In my bios, there seems to be no way to edit any of the 'OC' figures, is there a custom firmware I can download or is it hopeless expecting to OC with a stock motherboard?

-----

I'd also like to know what processors this motherboard supports, to see if I can upgrade the cpu but I can't fin any information on the net about it.

Donny

Last edited:
I know for a fact that every one of them works flawlessly with DDR2.

EDIT: Even some of the reviewers are running DDR2...
My bad. You are absolutely correct.

@ OP- Here's what your motherboard supports.

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology 9xxx series (AM2+) up to 9700 (up to 125 watt)
Phenom with Triple-Core (Toliman) technology 8xxx series (AM2+) up to 8xxx (up to 125 watt)
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology (AM2) up to 6400+ (up to 125 watt)

he needs to dig in the classies, I have a dfi lanparty and let me tell you the thing is a gas to clock on.
not a thing wrong with am2/am2+ overclocking, as a matter of fact it's quite productive also and some of the best schooling you can get.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Unfortunately, you won't be doing any OCing on that board. Your motherboard is pretty dated, so your RAM is pretty meh. Newegg doesn't even sell AM2+ CPUs anymore, however, CPUs designed for AM3 sockets will work in AM2+.

More than just it being dated I'm afraid - That machine isn't intended for any OC'ing at all, that's why there are no options for tweaking it.
Made for basic number crunching at the office or at home but not for performance. Even if a BIOS mod with some options were available for it, it's all stock and even the case itself woudn't be good for OC'ing purposes.

However the above is right - These are indeed fun to OC but you need the right stuff to do it with.

Hello.

I have an HP Pavilion Elite d5000z Desktop computer and am interested in overclocking the cpu.

AMD Phenom x4 9550 2.2 Ghz, Socket AM2+ (940)
4 Gb of DDR2
Mainboard- Viola, Nvidia nforce 720a chipset
Graphics- Gforce GT 640

---
Many modern games run fine but I would like to play a few emulator games that require some hefty cpu power and 2.2 just doesn't cut it. Mainly, The Dolphin emulator for any of you guys who are familiar with it.

In my bios, there seems to be no way to edit any of the 'OC' figures, is there a custom firmware I can download or is it hopeless expecting to OC with a stock motherboard?

-----

I'd also like to know what processors this motherboard supports, to see if I can upgrade the cpu but I can't fin any information on the net about it.

Donny

I would think a processor upgrade would be your best bet. The Phenom II's are pricey and becoming scarce though. I don't think any OEM pc's have any overclocking options in the bios. Don't know about gaming pc's like Alienware.

The Alienware systems do have options, some more than others but these tend to have them.
I believe those would be the only pre-built machines with options in them.

Tigerdirect sells a couple of brands that you can spec your choice of mobo and most of those can be overclocked from bios but they are not exceptionally cheap and guess they should not be if they are built using a good adjustable mobo.
RGone...

Back