• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Post on Socket AM2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I have an old Gigabyte GA-M57sli-4 board with an AMD Athlon X2 6000+, 2 sticks of ram I believe 1 gig each, that one day just wouldn't post. It was never overclocked in any way, just daily driven for about 9 hours a day 5 days a week for approximately 3 years in my office. When it died I just replaced it. I decided I was going to try and resurrect it but to no avail. It is in a different case now the fans all turn on and I can feel the HD spin up but no post or beeps. This is what I have tried and have a known working speaker on it. I do not get a single noise no beeps nothing.
New known working power supply.
Taken out all ram, tried it with no sticks and each stick individually in slot # 1.
Taken out GPU and also tried using another known working gpu.
Unplugged hard drive and tried new known working hard drive.
I have cleared the CMOS and also have taken the battery out.

Suggestions?

I wish I had another AM2 board to test the cpu on Tag. I have upgraded, see sig, I just wanted to see if I could get this thing to run again. Thanks.

That I didn't think of thanks, just checked cpu not on the support list. Though my 955be will fit on the board I'm trying to get working. I'll try it.

Last edited:
OK this is where I'm at, as stated previously I did the following. In addition, I replaced the CPU with my known working 955be. Still no post, no beeps no lights on the keyboard.
Motherboard Dead?

Taken out all ram, tried it with no sticks and each stick individually in slot # 1.
Taken out GPU and also tried using another known working gpu.
Unplugged hard drive and tried new known working hard drive.
I have cleared the CMOS and also have taken the battery out.

Ay, after a read I concur that there's something that's simply burnt out on the board. If you've been able to test other components, then the only thing you can do is run all the power out of the board, remove the battery, and let it sit for a little while. Check for bunt out parts, bulging caps, missing parts, short circuts, corrosion, etc while it sits.

Consider replacing the CMOS battery, I've heard some boards don't work quite right with a dead one. All just suggestions, but I feel like the board really is just on its way to the bone pile

I think Anonaru is close to solving this case, i have just finished a Cmos battery search on the net. Came back with a dead Cmos battery motherboard will not post or beep or anything so for the price of a battery? They could be life left in that board yet, you will never know unless you try! AJ. :shrug: ;)

I think it's dead! Thanks for the help all. New battery and no signs of life.

I do Caddie but I wish it was a more spectacular demise. All I did was use is as intended 24/7. I wanted to blow it up overclocking it, that's why I was trying to get it running again.

Back