• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No PWM control over D5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I'm running a Primochill Enhanced D5 PWM in my loop. Motherboard couldn't change the speed from maximum (4750rpm) in the BIOS, so I bought a small Noctua PWM controller. It can't change the speed, either. Now, it's not a big deal since the pump is inaudible outside of the case, but it is a little annoying that I'm running this thing flat out when it doesn't need to.

If that's the Z390 in your sig, it appears there are a couple of headers that "should" give you control over your pump.

If that's the Z390 in your sig, it appears there are a couple of headers that "should" give you control over your pump.

I concur. According to the specs, it has 3 fan headers, one of which is for the pump:

Attachments

• FH.jpg
    FH.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 62
It has two PWM pump headers. I've tried both, and standard fan headers. I wonder if I fried the PWM circuit on the pump by using manual voltage control with an outboard power supply.

According to the manual, all 4-pin fan/pump headers on that board should be able to control the pump.... they all have the PWM sense. Make sure the mode is set properly in the BIOS too. I'm not sure if that board has auto-sense.

It has auto, voltage and PWM options for each header. And you can tie each controller to almost any temperature sensor the mobo recognizes, or external temp sensors.

Right. And if Auto isn't doing it, try setting one/them manually to PWM if ya haven't tried already.

I have.....I've greatly enjoyed monkeying with the temp and fan curves throughout the couple years of ownership of this board.

If you plugged in the D5 pump header to the motherboard while the motherboard was powered, you probably killed the PWM circuitry in the pump by mis--pinning it. All it takes is to bridge the PWM pin header in the cable to the 12V pin on the motherboard header and you will kill the PWM driver transistor. Ask me how I know this? I've killed two of my D5 pumps this way already. Thank goodness that I need to run them flat out anyway.

Nope, probably didn't miswire it.

It's ok guys, maybe someone else can learn from the suggestions here. I still get the tach output, and the pump is powered by a 12V Molex. Just no PWM control.

Maybe the molex version is what is different. I've only used the SATA powered version. When I have inadvertently applied the 12V to the PWM pin I get no tacho reading anymore along with no PWM control.

Nope, probably didn't miswire it.

It's ok guys, maybe someone else can learn from the suggestions here. I still get the tach output, and the pump is powered by a 12V Molex. Just no PWM control.
My takeaway is you have a busted pump (if all the headers set to PWM didn't do it). You can confirm by trying it on another board with known good PWM 4-pin headers.

With my current board, My D5 is powered by a molex from the PSU, and the RPM/PWM wire is connected to the CPU/Pump header. I have no issues with controlling pump speeds. This pump has been through 3 boards (Z97/Z270/X570) with the same results.

Unless you're willing to mod the molex off the pump to a 4/3pin connector and see if an external fan controller will control the speeds. Much like using a light dimmer in a house. I've done this with great results.

You can try Joe's suggestion also.

I tried my Noctua PWM controller on my PWM DDC. It works fine. Therefore, the D5 PWM controller is fried. 4750rpm for lyfe!

Back