• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non Bios OverClocking? Asus software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocktopus

Hello everyone I have built my first computer and am faced with the problem of determining which route to go for overclocking. I have a AMD pheonom II x4 970 3.5ghz on a m4a88tdv-evo/usb3 mobo, on the side I have a cooler master v8 with many fans and Windows 7 32bit Ultimate. Also I got a radeon 5830 gpu. So thats my baby and I want to overclock it but not all the time. This is bought with my moms money and I don't want to drastically shorten the lifespan of the CPU. I was using the Asus software that came with it which is the overclocking utilty Turbo V. This has a turbo key that I can turn on when I need a burst of speed so it seems great. However I want to make that burst of speed 4.0ghz but the setting has to be applied first and when that happens everything freezes. Some people say its best to use Bios cause software OCing is garbage and to use BIOS but that is purmenant. The freezing cannot be overheating cause it never goes over 110F. Please advise me on how to do a toggling Overclock. Thanks!

For future reference, you should list temps as celcius. :)

So I'm going to make this analogy of how I understand it, if I'm wrong anyone, please please correct me. :)

Overclocking is like lifting weights. Setting it to 4.0 ghz without altering voltage (or not enough) is like giving a 13 year old a 400 pound bar to bench. He's not going to be able to even raise it, thus it crashes. If he were given steroids (More voltage) he would be able to handle more weight than usual. Certain people (CPUs) simply cannot lift a certain amount of weight, no matter how much steroids they use. However sometimes the bar itself (Motherboard) just wont hold up as much weight and will break. (Clockblock)

So more seriously since I was kind of confused by that since I'm a technical guy, basically your clock was too high. If you're going to overclock, you need to mess with both voltage and the core clock. Don't use OC tools in the OS as they are not as stable as overclocking in the bios, plus it uses system resources to change the settings. (And you overclock to get more out of your system, why tax it by making your computer work harder just so it can work harder?)

Changing the settings in your bios isn't permanent, it's just what speeds your computer boots from. If you overclock too high, your computer just restarts and tells you that your overclocking messed up and to back in the bios and change it.

After you change your clocks, run Prime95 for about 5 minutes (or longer. Longer the better.) and run Furmark or MSI Kombuster. In my experience, furmark and MSI crash my computer faster than prime does. (No gpu overclock) Running these will tell you if your system will be stable. You don't want to skip out on these tests and have your computer crash in a game of Starcraft or in whatever game you may be playing at the time.

- The 5 minutes is only for gradual overclocking. During the final overclocking speed, you should have it running for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Many people leave it on overnight. Again, for the reason in the previous paragraph.

edit - About the motherboard comment, it's not a common (at least from what I know) clock block. Usually it's temps and the CPU itself. In my case however, it's my mobos chipset that's clock blocking my cpu, htt, nb and gpu clocks.

Last edited:
np sir, just an fyi, if you're serious about overclocking, it's going to take a while. You need to dedicate hours upon hours of overclocking to find that "sweet spot." Good luck! :)

I guess im faced with a more pressing matter now i want to play crysis 2 but when it starts and its a black screen and i hear audio but thats it i have installed a lot of drivers its a radeon so that means i cannot hav physx right? So whats the replacement, why cant computers just work

It's all your card. I can use physx and I have a radeon. I have no idea what the reason is. Guess you could google it til another more tech savvy person shows up. :/

If you installed Crysis 2 and patched it to 1.9...there are a number of users of that game with that problem.

Can i roll it back its a torrent so i dont want the authorization code box to come back up. That brings me to ky nex question, i use warpproxy.com then go and torrent and i feel that this protects me shouls i go out of my way to make a proxy server and hide my ip? Once again thanks to everyone who has answered on of my questions i havnt ever gotten this much help from a forum ever

Back