• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-conductive fluid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Been using distilled water + silver kill coil + Deadwater, make that two coils for some time now for about 5 years with no issue. My silver bitspower fittings look go as new.

I respect some of the folks from these water cooling companies but at the same time I think its all PR as I was told 5+ years ago when I was stepping in the ring. They'll say anything to get you to purchase their fluids. In the end, its up to the user on making sure they've done their homework for the sake of their pockets and loop.

In the end, its up to the user on making sure they've done their homework for the sake of their pockets and loop.

Another thing to consider is that what works for one may not necessarily work for another person unless they utilise the exact same components that make up ones loop so the manufacturers will play it safe to try and cover all variables.

Ideally distilled water is all you need except once it enters our loops it no longer is distilled due to ion absorption. How fast this occurs will vary on your loop makeup etc so corrosion effects (time wise) will vary between similar systems.

This is pretty crazy this whole liquid thing makes it hard to decided whether or not to go with this project. So many mixed reviews, and someone method is always better than someone else. XD

There's really no reason to be confused. For watercooling a pc, only use Distilled water and either a silver kill coil or a biocide like PTNuke and that's it. If you decide to use some sort of other liquid like Fesser/Mayhem or any other brand, be advised that it will break down and clog everything up aside from staining. This will eventually kill your pump.

If you want color, just use colored tubing. The choice is yours, but remember we all warned you about what will happen.

There's really no reason to be confused. For watercooling a pc, only use Distilled water and either a silver kill coil or a biocide like PTNuke and that's it. If you decide to use some sort of other liquid like Fesser/Mayhem or any other brand, be advised that it will break down and clog everything up aside from staining. This will eventually kill your pump.

If you want color, just use colored tubing. The choice is yours, but remember we all warned you about what will happen.

I read and heard from videos that distilled water and PTNuke you have to break your system often to flush it versus pre-mixed fluids. Is that true?

No. Some people break down and flush every 6 mos/ 1 year. Others wait longer. I go about 6-8mos before tear down and flush. It's just normal maintenance.

I read and heard from videos that distilled water and PTNuke you have to break your system often to flush it versus pre-mixed fluids. Is that true?
Exact opposite. Distilled and Biocide/Silver coil is the easiest way to go. I flush my system every 6 months or so and it's spotless every time. I recently pulled my water block apart after 1 1/2 years of continuous usage and it was nearly spotless as well.

OP, read through the thread, total up the responses that advise upon each scenario, divide by the cube root of infinity, and then still worry that whatever decision you made won't be a waste of time and money.

It's pretty simple. Distilled water is neither an acid nor a base, it's neutral. The oxygen is an oxidizer (notice how the chemists did that?) and most metals, particularly including the common ones mentioned above, all react with water, i.e., valence imbalance over time causes the reaction. Get the bubbles out of the loop, kill the squid with silver or PT nuke, and yes, copper and algae don't get along. Clean your system at intervals and be happy that it's not a sewage treatment plant you're cleaning (been there, done that).

Spend your hard earned money wisely. Glad you asked on this forum; you just got about 500 years of cumulative experience for just one question.

Clean your system at intervals and be happy that it's not a sewage treatment plant you're cleaning (been there, done that).

LOL - my first internship was at a sewage treatment plant...crappy job...but job security for the folks that worked there! Nobody liked working in the "solids" building though... :D

Thanks for the information.. I came across an interesting link from this site.

http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/#comment-form-title

I learn a lot reading on it, turns out a friend of mine is running a combination from there on his rig that is going almost to 7 years now now since the first time it was put together. XD That is impressive and the liquid still looks like he put in yesterday.

So anyways base on the site I am thinking of doing the following combinations. 85%-90%% Distilled Water, 10%-15% Auto Coolant Concentrated, and 1/2 of Hyperlube Super Coolant. It seems to have the right combinations that I am looking for and should not only lubricate my system but also prevent corrosion and stuff from growing. At least I hope so, but that was so much data on that site I have a good feeling I won't have to do much maintenance once is done right. Maybe once a year if not 2-3. XD

That is nice but the problem I see no lubricant for the system and pump. He only ran it for 2 years too. While my friend is reaching 7 years with his. lol I am not trying to say you are not correct all i am saying. Even though my friend has not open up his block to see for sure. Just the fact that it is running like that with a FX-9590 overclocked to 5.0Ghz all the time 24/7 is impressive.

I just want to make sure that when i do this build i don't find myself breaking down a lot and dealing with potential issues that is all. XD I am still re-searching the Coil and Distilled water method also. Also he spilled his fluid on a PSU and did nothing. Turn it off dry it and then power it back and good to go. Maybe his method has low conductivity and I think that was 3-4 years into his rig.

Okay, no worries. I used distilled and a biocide. I had no worries. I still have no worries in life. It's just a PC, a hobby.

You understand how these pumps work? Lubricant?

His PSU got liquid... He got lucky and I bet it was a few drops. You pour a cup on a PSU while running... Poof, no matter the special liquid.

Look up Petra's old videos on liquids, motherboards and fans. Fun mythbusters stuff. Well, that's over 10 years old now but the science hasn't changed. Or has watercooling and liquids.

The water is the lubricant for a pump meant for PC use.

If the system is off and you let it dry it doesn't matter what you spill water on.

Okay, no worries. I used distilled and a biocide. I had no worries. I still have no worries in life. It's just a PC, a hobby.

You understand how these pumps work? Lubricant?

His PSU got liquid... He got lucky and I bet it was a few drops. You pour a cup on a PSU while running... Poof, no matter the special liquid.

Look up Petra's old videos on liquids, motherboards and fans. Fun mythbusters stuff. Well, that's over 10 years old now but the science hasn't changed. Or has watercooling and liquids.

Honestly I do know much about pumps and water cooling in PC's which is why I am trying to learn from all these options and methods. I already have Mayhems pastel red bottles but before I start this project tomorrow. I want to make sure I understand a lot about these methods and fluids. I don't want to destroy my PC, I just want to do it right and be happy with it even if is 2 to 3 years.

Honestly I do know much about pumps and water cooling in PC's which is why I am trying to learn from all these options and methods. I already have Mayhems pastel red bottles but before I start this project tomorrow. I want to make sure I understand a lot about these methods and fluids. I don't want to destroy my PC, I just want to do it right and be happy with it even if is 2 to 3 years.

Then distilled water and a biocide. 2-3 drops of IanH deadwater. All done, no worries.

^^^ Then use what Conumdrum and others have mentioned and enjoy watercooling! :)

Back