• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob looking for some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pummelmuffin

I just recently bought my first real gaming PC. I have a Corsair H100i, so I imagine heat won't be a huge issue. What I'm primarily worried about is voltage. Running my FX-6300 at 4 Ghz and a Vcore of 1.36, this is what I got after running a Prime 95 blend stress test for three hours:

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    669.4 KB · Views: 94
Check your voltage in cpu-z. My voltage readings for the cpu always show higher in hwmon.

I have read the bulldozer overclocking guide stickied in this forum, but I have some questions nonetheless.

1. What are acceptable levels of Vdroop?

2. What are the symptoms of too much Vdroop?

3. Is it possible to avoid Vdroop without a load line calibrator?

4. Using only the CPU multiplier, might I need to increase voltages other than Vcore?

#1, zero, but it is what it is.

#2, your seeing it, what you see in the bios against what you measure with a meter.

#3 you can' avoid it.

#4 not really and if so not much.

we have a thread called just putzen around that if you dig through all the mumbo-jumbo is chock full of juicy info, it's big and full of s*&t.

Depending on how high you take the CPU multi, you may need to raise HT&NB Multi and if you take that high enough you'll need to bump your CPUNBv. This is all explained in the Guide and it's best to follow it until you get a solid grasp of what is affected with each adjustment.

The Phenom guide is very similar to the bulldozer guide and might have other suggestions/info to use also.

Truthfully...

...truthfully, I don't see anything at all wrong with 4.0Ghz voltages OR temps in the HWMonitor shown in YOUR first post. Since you did not bother to tell us what mobo or cooling you were using it is not really possible to say much more about the system as portrayed in the HWMonitor capture, but if it were my own system >> I would not be concerned about anything. Some boards are just not very spot on voltage wise in maintaining a set Vcore. Others are awesome like my CHV board after tweaking.

But I say again...I see nothing that would have me wasting time worrying about those volts or temps at 4.0Ghz during and after 3 hours of P95 BLEND mode.
RGone...

...truthfully, I don't see anything at all wrong with 4.0Ghz voltages OR temps in the HWMonitor shown in YOUR first post. Since you did not bother to tell us what mobo or cooling you were using it is not really possible to say much more about the system as portrayed in the HWMonitor capture, but if it were my own system >> I would not be concerned about anything. Some boards are just not very spot on voltage wise in maintaining a set Vcore. Others are awesome like my CHV board after tweaking.

But I say again...I see nothing that would have me wasting time worrying about those volts or temps at 4.0Ghz during and after 3 hours of P95 BLEND mode.
RGone...

Umm... I said right in the OP that I'm using a Corsair H100i, and HW monitor shows that I'm using a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 right at the top.

Right, Safe voltages for that CPU is up to 1.5v (I prefer to keep it at 1.45ish just for lower temps). Safe Temps are Package under 65C and CPU Socket under 70C (Again I try to keep it to 55C and 65C for 24/7 OC's).

Back