• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Overclocker seeks advice on overclocking Phenom II X6 1090T.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like you are still running the CUP vcore at 1.300 according to post #69. You will likely need to give that a bump. Try adding .025. A blue screen after almost 20 minutes of Prime95 usually suggests low CPU vcore or temps being too high. Temps aren't too high yet.

Summarising the last few posts and the changes i need to make in order to proceed now.

1 ) I need to change Command Rate to 1T. Is this the one called "1T/2T Command Timing" in the picture below ??

20150925_225435.jpg

2 ) I need to change CPU/NB voltage to 1.25 . Is this the one called "NB Voltage Control" in the picture below ?? I noticed that when i change that value to 1.25 the color of the value becomes red as a sign of not normal voltage i guess. Is it OK with that ??

20150925_225532.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Read this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...rtooth-990FX-R2-0-Amd-FX-9590-HyperX-FURY-RAM

s33k3rgr you may not be able to run that RAM stable at 1600 mhz. You may need to downclock it to the 1066 divider in bios first so that it will run at 1333 mhz after the FSB overclock.

Is that the "Set Memory Clock" setting in my BIOS ?? Do i need to change that along with all the other changes from the post above ??

The one change that is straightforward is the change of CPU VCore Voltage to 1.325V. I have already changed that.

One last thing. Now that we are going in Overclocking mode is there any other settings like "Cool n Quiet" or "C1E Support" that i need to disable ??

Last edited:
Summarising the last few posts and the changes i need to make in order to proceed now.

1 ) I need to change Command Rate to 1T. Is this the one called "1T/2T Command Timing" in the picture below ??

View attachment 169162

2 ) I need to change CPU/NB voltage to 1.25 . Is this the one called "NB Voltage Control" in the picture below ?? I noticed that when i change that value to 1.25 the color of the value becomes red as a sign of not normal voltage i guess. Is it OK with that ??

View attachment 169163

- - - Updated - - -

Is that the "Set Memory Clock" setting in my BIOS ?? Do i need to change that along with all the other changes from the post above ??

The one change that is straightforward is the change of CPU VCore Voltage to 1.325V. I have already changed that.

One last thing. Now that we are going in Overclocking mode is there any other settings like "Cool n Quiet" or "C1E Support" that i need to disable ??

Yes, Set Memory Clock is the one you want to adjust the Memory divider.

Yes, disablbe Cool N Quiet, C1E and also Turbo mode. Good questions.

View attachment 169163
No. It's labeled 'CPU NB VID control'. Set that to 1.25v.

I've made all the changes except "Set Memory Clock" and tested for 20 minutes.

Summary of changes made :
- CPU VCore Voltage to 1.325V from 1.3V
- CPU NB VID Voltage to 1.25 from Auto
- Command Timing to 1T from 2T
- Disabled Cool n' Quiet
- Disabled C1E Support

Screenshots of CPU-Z relevant sections:
CPUZ_CPU.JPG CPUZ_MEMORY.JPG SPD1.JPG SPD2.JPG

HWMonitor after 20 mins of Prime95 testing:

Capture1111.JPG Capture2222.JPG

Ooops. Once i tried to reboot this occured.

20150926_134218.jpg

And some values (mostly the ratios) returned to their "default" numbers.

I would drop the command rate back to 2T myself. It sounds like it's close but the board didn't like something on re-start.

If you insist on running that 240 FSB you should bump the NB voltage to 1.2v. That will help the board cope with the higher bus speed.
Also, You could stand a vcore bump but your temps are already touching the instability zone.

I made another experiment. As Mr. Scott suggested i raised NB voltage to 1.2V and also, raised the ratios by x1 and the moment i started Prime95 i got BSOD instantly. Something was wrong there.

Your HT link ratio is too high. Try to keep that around 2000. ;)

With the Thuban core CPUs, overclockers found that they liked to have the CPU/NB and HT Link in lockstep with each other and to rise freely with the FSB. This was not so with the FX CPUs that came after. It was common to see Thubans with the HT Link and CPU/NB together at 2600 mhz.

ss33k3rgr, your main problem is the CPU vcore being too low. You saw in post #88 that when you raised the vcore you immediately got stable again after having increased the CPU multiplier by 1x and failing prime. It's the same with this boot failure. I think you will find that if you add another .o25 to the vcore you will be able to boot but you will likely fail the Prime test due to temps being to high. Bottom line is, you need better cooling. This experiment has come to a dead end due to thermal issues.

Last edited:
Also, You could stand a vcore bump but your temps are already touching the instability zone.

Nah, trents can't help further any ways Scotty. Don't sweat it.

You've already stated where the problem is plain as day.

Core temps are too high at 54c **

OK this was a huge help for me. Even though i haven't reach my initial goal of 3.8ghz i learned a ton of stuff here. I guess i need a better cooler to achive that. My Desktop actually is a little bit faster now at 3.35ghz and the stuff we changed to the memory (timings, voltages etc...) and that is something.

You have a great community here. Very helpfull.

You hung in there s33k3rgr and were very patient with the process. Yes, you did learn a lot and that's why I wanted you to take the more difficult road of involving the FSB in the overclocking process rather than just the multipliers. Now you have a better understanding of the dependent relationship of the various bus speeds to the FSB. It is the master bus of the system and the other sub busses (memory, HT Link And CPU/NB) are tuned to it.

Just about everyone getting those CPUs to 4.0 ghz back when they were current technology was cooling it with either the Noctual NDH 14 or with good all in one water kits like the Corsari H100i. With 6 cores it was really a heater CPU and could only be coped with by the very best of air coolers or with decent water. I'd like to see you look into a nice all in one water kit. That way you could have the best of both worlds: good cooling and low noise. IF you do, just make sure you do some measuring in your case to check for clearance of the radiator.

Stay cool there in Greece.

Last edited:
Back