• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question about overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ajansyh

Registered
So I've noticed that when I play certain games like ACIII or Mirrors edge, my fans will kick on really loud, but strangely on other games like GTAIV or Skyrim they'll be quiet most of the time. Anyway, the loud spinning freaks me out 'cuz it makes me feel like something may overheat so I'll close the game. Should loud fans worry me, or should I just trust them to do their job and keep my parts cool? What happens if they get too hot? Is there a failsafe?

It just sucks having downloaded a bunch of games over the winter sale that I'm too scared to play. :/

Your best bet is to download Hwmonitor, open it and play the games you're worried about. Then post a screen shot of Hwmonitor under load. Also, knowing what components are in the case is helpful. The fans ramping up in different games are most likely caused by the game being either more Gpu or Cpu dependent then another. Again, posting the ss of Hwmonitor and knowing the components will better help determine if you have something to worry about. Here is how to post a screen shot.

Alrighty. Parts are as follows:

PSU: Rosewill 600W-750W I believe?
CPU: Intel Core-i7 3770
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost

I'm pretty sure those are the parts you're interested in.

I'll be getting a screenshot later on.

are you aware of which fans are "ramping up".
is it your cpu cooler or your gpu?
are you using the stock cpu cooler?
is your gpu a reference cooler?

yeah its probably your cpu cooler the intel cpu's are loud as hell at high rpms I HIGHLY recommend getting a after market cooler and some good fans for it, since I don't believe you have the unlocked 3770(k) you can get away with a hyper 212 evo and a good noctua fan for silence.

edit: Yes your graphics card is a non reference. asus cards run slightly louder than some of the other non references in my experience, but they are still loads quieter than the reference design. so that's no it.

since you said "it just gets loud" or something of the sort I can't imagine it being anything other than the cpu or gfx card and I'm 98% sure its not your gfx card.

so my solution would be as follows

get some artic silver t.i.m.: here
a hyper 212 evo: here
and finally a quiet optimized fan
I recommend a nf-f12 but they're pricey, alternatively a gentle typhoon 1500 rpm would certainly do.
Noctua: here
gentle typhoon: here

I don't know your level of tech. experience so here's a video that will show you how to replace your heatsink.

Last edited:
AS5 is kinda long in the tooth. MX2 is a much better option performance wise, and it costs about the same.

yeah its probably your cpu cooler the intel cpu's are loud as hell at high rpms I HIGHLY recommend getting a after market cooler and some good fans for it, since I don't believe you have the unlocked 3770(k) you can get away with a hyper 212 evo and a good noctua fan for silence.

edit: Yes your graphics card is a non reference. asus cards run slightly louder than some of the other non references in my experience, but they are still loads quieter than the reference design. so that's no it.

since you said "it just gets loud" or something of the sort I can't imagine it being anything other than the cpu or gfx card and I'm 98% sure its not your gfx card.

so my solution would be as follows

get some artic silver t.i.m.: here
a hyper 212 evo: here
and finally a quiet optimized fan
I recommend a nf-f12 but they're pricey, alternatively a gentle typhoon 1500 rpm would certainly do.
Noctua: here
gentle typhoon: here

I don't know your level of tech. experience so here's a video that will show you how to replace your heatsink.
Ryan this is all good advice but we still don't know what the temps are. That would be the first thing for us to see so the OP can know whether the temps are too high or the fan is just loud.

Ryan this is all good advice but we still don't know what the temps are. That would be the first thing for us to see so the OP can know whether the temps are too high or the fan is just loud.

sorry mandrake I'm just basing this off of my old i3 that heated up violently for ANYTHING and was never near max temp

sorry mandrake I'm just basing this off of my old i3 that heated up violently for ANYTHING and was never near max temp
No need to apologize, everything you said is helpful but unless we get a "peek under the hood" it's tough for anyone to see what is going on. It may be as simple as the fan on gpu or cpu is just loud. I know the one on my reference GTX 670 was. I would just like to see what the temps are, just to see if there is anything to be concerned about.

Alright guys, these were the temps I was getting when I started hearing the really loud fan noise playing mirror's edge:

screen.png

Thanks for the advice Ryan. Is the extra fan just meant to replace the back case fan?

no the extra fan is to replace the fan on the hyper 212 evo as they can be loud too, and it looks like your cpu temps are the high ones

Ajansyh, what case do you have that setup in? The socket temp and I'm guessing Vrm temps seems out of whack with the core temps. I don't recall having my socket temp that much higher then my core temps. Though your temps aren't alarmingly high I'd like the Cputin and Auxtin to be a bit closer to the core temps. I would also think the fan you hear is the cpu fan, the Asus heatsink on the card you have is supposedly pretty quiet. You can try opening the case door and blowing a house fan at the motherboard and run prime again. If the Cputin and Auxtin drop dramatically I would think you need more airflow through the case.

Temperature wise, the CPU is not near its limit, but the fan profile may be setup pretty aggressively or something like that.

Temperature wise, the CPU is not near its limit, but the fan profile may be setup pretty aggressively or something like that.
This^^^^ though I would like to see the Socket temp and Auxtin temp a bit closer to the core temps.

What's the relationship between socket/auxtin temp and core temps and what would cause them to differ from eachother?

From what I know the Cpu Socket and Auxtin temp are both sensors placed on the motherboard so doing the reading where as the package temp is sensor is located directly on the die. Usually the Socket/Auxin temp are that much higher when there is lack of air flow through the case. Which doesn't seem apparent here, though if you take your case door off and blow a house fan in there to see if they drop would help.

all I know is that with my old i3 and stock cooler there was a AGGRESSIVE jump at anything above 60c

Back