• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob trying to overclock A8-660K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adamgloster

first let me list my specs to my pc then i will explain the problem
cpu 3.90 gigahertz AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics
motherboard gigabyte F2A88X-D3H
8 gig of ram corsair vengance 1800mhz ddr3
430 watt corsair psu
coolermaster evo heatsink
120 gig kingston ssd
windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
So I am trying to over clock my CPU with amd overdrive, at the moment i have turbo mode on and the CPU is running permanently at 4.2 ghz. When i overclock the cpu to 4.3 or any higher the highest i have gone is 4.5ghz when i run the stability tests it passes fine, and when i use my pc then for gaming or web browsing it is fine but were i run into a problem :bang head is if i try to watch a you tube video. It just stutters all over the place and it is just unwatchable the same goes for if i put a dvd on to play it will not play it runs slow and again stutters. I am new to over clocking and really hope some 1 can help me just for information i have not changed any thing in my bios before over clocking hope some 1 can help many thanks adam.

REmove the overclocks and return to defaults and see if the movie stutters without overclock. That is the first process to go thru. If it does not work at default, then nope it is not the overclock.
RGone...ster.

rgone thanks for your reply every thing works fine with out the overclock it is that without a doubt theoverclock that does the it hope you can help i can not understand as i ave read that the A8-6600k overclocks realy well and have seen posts were people have got it running at 5ghz

Well we cannot see your screen or type on your keyboard, so we need some info...

...This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point. Now I am going to make a point here that I wish to h*ll was straightened out and for some boards it does seem to be. HWMonitor may not register the temps on an APU type cpu as accurately as we may wish it to do. After a long look at what is suggested an outlined below, and the 4 caputures are attached to the forum, then we may have to add one added program. Not sure at this time but will hve better idea after you begin a 'journey' to extra speed 'with' stability. Most of us start by raising the cpu multiplier by one (1) to increase cpu speed and test for stability as outlined below.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

rgone thanks for your reply with regards to the screen captures do you want theses after i have done the overclock or before and can i also ask have heard of this problem before many thanks adam

1. Well if problem does not exist at stock speeds, you probably need to begin the test for stability there which would be your baseline from which overclock can begin. All four captures attached individually from cropped and not full screen will then let US have the baseline/beginning information about what is temp voltage and speed of buss units on mobo.

2. Have 'we' seen the issue before. Been here helping daily since AMD released FX type processor 3.3 years ago. Have seen 1000's of discrete AMD FX processors and less than 100 APU users. So APU systems have not been thru here much in reality. Now do we see video stuttering after an overclock is put in place? Yes, and it is because the overall system is generally n0t stable to begin with and the steady stream of video shows up that failure to be stable.
RGone...ster.

Back