• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Noobie Question] If I change my motherboard...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

If I change my motherboard to one that can overclock. Am I able to overclock lets say my processor then? Because I have a Emachines mobo that is locked. Because I am wondering if like I would have to change out my processor also for me to be able to overclock.

Hi Colton:

The short answer is no, you don't have to get a new processor if you get a new motherboard. You just remove the current processor, clean it off with Arctic Silver cleaner, reapply Arctic Silver or other thermal compound to the processor, attach the heatsink/fan, and then put your graphics/sound cards in the new board. This assumes that the motherboard you buy is compatible with the processor on your current machine.

The longer answer is that with an emachine, it's likely that you won't be able to replace your motherboard. emachines, like many OEMs, use proprietary equipment. If you find your current machine feels slow, and if it's a couple years old, you may find it more advantageous to save up for a new build that will allow you a better upgrade path.

It may be cheaper--at least in the short term--to add more memory and pop in a better processor if you want added performance. If you're interested in gaming, you may find it more advantageous to see if you can upgrade your video card.

However, if you list your specs, it will be easier to see what might help you in your situation.

--ceolstan

ceolstan said:
Hi Colton:

The short answer is no, you don't have to get a new processor if you get a new motherboard. You just remove the current processor, clean it off with Arctic Silver cleaner, reapply Arctic Silver or other thermal compound to the processor, attach the heatsink/fan, and then put your graphics/sound cards in the new board. This assumes that the motherboard you buy is compatible with the processor on your current machine.

The longer answer is that with an emachine, it's likely that you won't be able to replace your motherboard. emachines, like many OEMs, use proprietary equipment. If you find your current machine feels slow, and if it's a couple years old, you may find it more advantageous to save up for a new build that will allow you a better upgrade path.

It may be cheaper--at least in the short term--to add more memory and pop in a better processor if you want added performance. If you're interested in gaming, you may find it more advantageous to see if you can upgrade your video card.

However, if you list your specs, it will be easier to see what might help you in your situation.

--ceolstan

Exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you.

AzAzEl656 said:
:welcome:

Uhh.. yeah. What ceolstan said. How old is your emachine? What kind of processor do you have on it?

I bought my Emachine in I think 04. So 3-4 years old. I have a intel celeron processor @ 2.6ghz 478socket.

I am thinking of getting my p4 socket 775 out of my other computer and using it in my emachine because the other one is really messed up at the moment.

Thank you all for the help. :)

May I also add... I'm not sure about emachines, but my Gateway has a proprietary case and mb. It looks like regular ATX, but it is in fact uBTX which you won't find except on Gateway (and maybe other OEM) machines. I thought I could just buy a new mb and then be able to OC. Getting another board means getting a different form factor and therefore, a different case. Kind of a pain I ran into unknowingly and just thought I'd share...

just measure the space you have for teh mobo and get one accordingly...
or u could just get a chepa case off newegg.

Back