• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noobs first build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks solid, I would probably change the motherboard to an x570 and not the b550 especially when you are spending $200 for the b550 that’s just a little pricy for a more budget orientated board.

I would seriously consider putting off your purchase for a few months though. What you have picked will be great and last you for years. But there will be new graphics cards from Nvidia and AMD later this year and they will both have ray tracing which I would expect to become more and more prominent in games over the next few years. AMD are also releasing zen3 at some point which will be another step up for gaming compared to zen2. And I know people will say that of you always wait for tech then you will never buy anything. But when something is a couple of months away I think it’s worth the wait.

Looks good overall...

Make sure that RAM is on your QVL list. I say that as AMD is a bit more finicky than Intel. 32GB of 3600 may need some slight tweaking to get it to run.

The 5700XT is a solid choice, however, it and Navi in general seems to have some black screen issues. Chances are this won't affect you, but it is most certainly worth mentioning. Additionally, on the GPU front, new cards are supposed to be released in the coming months... so I would hold off a bit too.

Your $200 B550 board is as good and maybe better than similarly priced X570. If you don't need the extra PCIe lanes, etc......B550 is a solid choice.

What is the main purpose of this build? Playing demanding AAA games? Surfing the net? Video editing? What do you need it to do well?

For a general purpose build it looks good to me. I would echo what others have said about going with a less expensive motherboard. At stock clocks and voltages any b550 board will handle that CPU without issue. Just get the lowest priced board that has the feature set you want.

And if you want to save some significant bucks on the OS, look here: https://www.urcdkeys.com/.

Last edited:
Back