• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge & Southbridge Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I havn't ever seen anyone use it but I bet it would do the job. I would probably get another brand though (personal preferance) or make my own from old HSs and small fans...

yes, make your own. I have that and the stock fan is junk. it squeals and barely puts out any air. the heatsinks are ok, but not really worth it.

Last edited:
Blower fans suck. I mean... they blow. Your money's better spent on a 40mm for your NB. If you have some thermal adhesive, you can attach any small heatsink you have lying around to the SB... I used an old Pentium I heatsink.

its ok i have it,it was fun to essamble made me feel like i was a kid with legos,its HUGE,well tall i had to mod to get my waterblocks on if u really need it find a copper based squar pinned one and mount a fan on it, and some of them come with SB HS..cut up old stock and mount it on

yeah like Amourek said i would just suggest an old cpu hs like from an old 486
that should work pretty well and the fans on them are pretty quiet (although they move about 5 cfm)
i have seen the at frys if you dont just have one lying around

~Magick_Man~

Yeah i'd say make your own too. Thermaltake make some superb products like their fans, cases etc its just most of their Heatsinks suck(. Saying that, i'm very pleased with the performance i get out of my V12 especially for the price i paid for it...)
Then just add a couple of decent 40mm fans to your North and Southbridge and your sorted :) I've just got one off an old Pentium i'm about to mod to fit to mine. There was actually a guy giving away(i think) 40mm fans in the classifieds last week, all he wanted was shipping costs. A shame you just missed out...

a good thing about blowers though, is that they dont have a dead spot ;)

and atm im using a 40mm fan on my home made GPU cooling, old P1 heatsink, cut it to 40*50*10mm and placed the 40mm on it, and the fan hasnt got enough pressure to really push the air through the fins.. which is where a blower would be REALLY handy, i feel hot air coming out of the fan intake lol :) i suspended it above it, and it cools OK, but still not ideal..

Id buy that thing, even if i would just remove the blower and throw away the HS :D (cant find 40mm blowers..)

Get a Thermalright NB-1 -- ever since I replaced my stock northbridge HSF on the P4C800-ED with the NB-1, I've been Prime stable @ 285fsb -- I wasnt before....

Its good to have a fan controller with it though.... its kinda noisy at full speed, I have it at half speed cant hear it over my other quiet fans and it does the job

:D

Or if you got the money get one of the Swiffy's for NB

Just get a Zalman passive HS for the SB... SB doesnt need active cooling.

Back