• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not impressed with my new Corsair H100i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n7plus1

Im running my i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz and i think my mobo auto-sets the voltage to ~1.4v and im getting idle temps of 38-42, varying from core to core on the fly.

Playing BF3 @ 1920x1080, temps are in the 59-70 range and in Prime95 they hit as high as 90 tops.

I havent tested stress temps on stock clocks, just idle and it was a few degrees lower in difference.

What gives?

oh, and ambient temps are low to mid 70'F's

The voltage is pretty high, usually leaving it on auto gives it alot more than it needs. Read the OC guide and slowly work the voltage down to find the lowest stable setting, that will help on the heat.

first maybe try reseat

I have done. Used the last of the AS5 I had sitting around and saw like a 1 degree drop from the factory stuff...which i heard was shin-etsu?

The voltage is pretty high, usually leaving it on auto gives it alot more than it needs. Read the OC guide and slowly work the voltage down to find the lowest stable setting, that will help on the heat.

hmm, ok, thank you.

In the Intel CPU forum is a bunch of well written stickies to help you set a correct overclock. try that, and ask about overclocking there. Good luck.

thanks, ill check it out.

I have a hexacore on my old h100 and imo its pretty decent. I use 1.4 for 4.4 and loads come in at 70-75 running IBT.. A blob of as5 a little larger than a grain of rice (maybe 2 grains) is all you need. Make sure you give the cooler a bit of a titty twister before you clamp it down and it should be good :thup:

1.4 is way more in almost all circumstances than what a 3770k needs to hit 4.5 mine does it at 1.25 to give you an idea (now all chips are different, but needing much more than 1.3 would be pretty rare id wager).

I have a hexacore on my old h100 and imo its pretty decent. I use 1.4 for 4.4 and loads come in at 70-75 running IBT.. A blob of as5 a little larger than a grain of rice (maybe 2 grains) is all you need. Make sure you give the cooler a bit of a titty twister before you clamp it down and it should be good :thup:

haha :D, i have...i made a thread over at corsair too, to get some feedback as well (b/c of other random odd behavior with the cooler)

1.4 is way more in almost all circumstances than what a 3770k needs to hit 4.5 mine does it at 1.25 to give you an idea (now all chips are different, but needing much more than 1.3 would be pretty rare id wager).

great, thank you for your input, appreciate it.:thup:

I believe Shin Etsu is better than AS5. It depends on which one tho. Nonetheless they are pretty close. Do you have adequate airflow throughout the case?

1.4v @ 4.5GHz is clearly the issue here... That should be around 1.25v. Do that before you touch the paste or reseat.

EDIT:
What he said, LOL!

1.4 is definitely high for 4.5, mine needs a notch under that for 4.6, an an *** load more for 4.7.

With that said I had basically the same problems with my corsair AIO/3770k combo. It took delidding and Liquid Ultra to fix my temps. Sounds like you just have a hot chip, on top of the high voltage.

I have the same OC on my 3770K and I use a Swiftech H220. My voltage is under 1.3v (can't remember exact #), and my temps are at maximum 30C on idle. I operate in about the same ambient temps you do.

I have the same OC on my 3770K and I use a Swiftech H220. My voltage is under 1.3v (can't remember exact #), and my temps are at maximum 30C on idle. I operate in about the same ambient temps you do.
Great! BUt every chip is different. Its really difficult to compare chip with chip for MANY reasons..(case airflow, mounting, paste, etc).

No, as that would be impossible with the temps he listed (before he mentioned 70F ((which why he went C and then F, no idea, LOL!))). ;)

Everything is in Celsius unless otherwise noted. (hence the 'F @ that temp)

I switched to Fahrenheit for ambient b/c thats what my thermostat is set for...since i live the the US, im not familiar with converting to the metric system.

I believe Shin Etsu is better than AS5. It depends on which one tho. Nonetheless they are pretty close. Do you have adequate airflow throughout the case?

i plan on switching to Prolimatechs pk1 here eventually.

heres my case layout, which i used Corsairs setup as shipped out of the box

IMG_20130614_192325.jpg

I was thinking of putting the stock fans that where in the 2 spots up front, (behind the HDD cages) right behind the front grill to put more ambient air. I guess i was assuming those 2 now were pulling a sufficient vacuum from the front of the case but i could be wrong.

Maybe a fan on the bottom pulling air in from underneath the case too?

Honestly i would just worry about getting your voltage down first, ivy at 1.4 is going to be hot no matter what.

Honestly i would just worry about getting your voltage down first, ivy at 1.4 is going to be hot no matter what.
Exactly.. this isnt a cooler issue or case airflow issue. Several have stated that voltage is WAY too high for 4.5Ghz.. AUTO is not the way to go. Manually try find the lowest possible stable voltage and see what temps are then. :thup:

Back