• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

not too alternative...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is there any chance that your dad will let you move your computer into the room where the modem is located? I know it would be getting your computer out of your room, and that may not be wut you want, but it would solve the problem of "No internet in the Bedroom".

Gonna give it to ya straight now. Confrontation, while not always a good thing, can air some unspoken problems you never knew about before. I still say that talking to your dad, even though you think it wont work, may help your position in the end. Just wait until he's in a good mood and bring it up. Just ask first if you can be allowed to run the internet into your room, and when he refuses, just ask him if he can tell you why he doesnt want you to have internet access. If he wont tell you, i'd leave the subject alone and restart the conversation a few hours later, asking the same question. The biggest thing to remember is to remain CALM. If you let your anger at the situation get the better of you, your dad will get angry and will never grant your request.

Last option is asking if you can move your computer into your computer room.

Other than the tubing trick I previously posted, I think calm confrontation is your best bet still.

Or you could go out and get a job. That always impresses the parents. That way you have some money to either help pay for the internet, or pay for your own hookup.

i've been working on gettign a job for three months. noone will hire around here unless your 18, but i did manage an interview monday at 11.

Confronting him only makes things worse, i;'ve known him my whole life. briunging it up will get me downgraded to dialup again.

the computer room is only big enough for one computer, we used to have two internet ones, sharing a dialup connection, but now we only have one because of the small room. i may put the other one up by my workbench, but i cant play games well unless i'm in my room...thats where it has to be.
I'm currently working on a bridge problem that should give me exactly what i want anyway, thanks.

Not that I condone this, since I personally think you should sit him down and tell him that you're old enough now to talk to him man-to-man, but you may try this:

Modify the power switch on the modem so that it doesn't actually power the modem on/off, but where it just switches the power LED on/off. You can hide a different switch inside to power it off/on... that way, when he turns it "off", it will just shut off the LEDs and not the modem itself. Just a thought. But, really, you should follow Salomon's advice and confront him. I did it with my dad when I was 18, and he owned up to a lot of crap and became a lot more lenient with me. Hell, he even gave me rent money for my apartment in college. Enough anecdote.

-r

Yep... I used to be totally intimidated by my father myself. He's an ex army officer who served a tour in Vietnam, lifts weights and is very muscular for his age of 57 as of March.

When I went away for college, I sat my father down and put everything on the table concerning everything I have experienced to date, be it good or bad. Now... I could tell that he was upset by some of it, but after he had time to think about what I said to him, he came back and was proud of me for telling him everything I did. Since that talk, my father has treated me more like an adult.

I'm 25 now, and it's been 8 years since I had that talk with my father. I'm living on my own now, and visit home quite a bit to hang out with my dad. I see him 3 nights a week for dinner (i go to eat my mother's cooking and to say hi to everyone cuz i miss them quite a bit), and I play golf with my father every Sunday. The golf gives my father and I even more to talk about. We just both grab a couple beers at the tee off of the 10th hole, and tear around in the golf cart.

The idea is to take an interest in something your father does. That was my idea with the golf, and it has bought us closer together, and we are more or less better friends because of it. We both complain about work since we both work at Aerospace companies, and we both bust on the other golfers in front of us who swing like girls (sorry ladies... no offense to you at all... just an expression).

We even snowboard together. I taught my father how to snowboard 14 years ago. He is now better, technicallly speaking than most any other person out on the slopes. He's fluid in his movements, and it's because I taught him to be that way. I am a sponsored snowboarder, semi-pro, who rides for a few companies out there (i cant go into it any more due to contractment), and I race GS and ride Pipe. Been snowboarding for 17 years, and I started up when the sport was called Snurfing.

Find something to talk about with your father, or do something with him. I guarantee he will open up to you about a ton of things, giving you the ability to capitalize on his happiness.

I'm still going to say talk to your dad. It's your best option.

well i don't know bout you but my parents doesn't know much about computer hardware so when i use to live with them i tried to confuse them all the time and it worked .. so i could do wut i wanted whenever i wanted... but try to hook up a wireless card to your comp.. i don't know bout anyone else but in my appartment with my laptop i can get online with 4 different wireless network... and with my pda i get in so many networks,,,this is sickening to see how many peoples don't encrypt or just lock their wireless router...
HeroVsZombie.gif

Hehe. My router is locked up and encrypted =) My neighbor knew I had a wireless router, and he tried to get in on it one day. He was telling me, cuz this is how he used to get his internet. He got on the first day I had it, and then I locked out my router, and he's been out of internet ever since. Lol... scumbag.

Heh. My dad is very similar in many instances. He's anti-technology, all the way.

So, this is how I got him ****ed off enough to stop bothering me about my internet time. I kept using the internet for obscene amounts of time, making sure to be just loud enough late at night to make sleeping almost impossible for him. That way, he'd wake up so p'd off, that he'd mouth off to me. Then, when he is in an ok mood, I show him what I was working on. Flabbergasted, he stopped bothering me under circumstances that I be quieter. And, since I was being loud in the first place, it wasn't too tough. :D

if my neighbor ask me i'll let him for a small fee like 5-10 buck a month but he'll be out of warez for sure cause it gon be me in trubles if sumething happen...
HeroVsZombie.gif

Em you said you were 18 and had all DSL, then in your last post you said places won't hire unless your 18 and talking about dial up in your house????

And G-PHoRCe do you know how annoying that is to put that in all of your posts? A mod is going to get pissed at you...

I hate to be the bad guy here, but your 18 man. Get yourself a job at McDonalds if you have to. Don't tell us you know you dad will not listen to you. Talk to him and try to work things out. What you are doing is only going to bring more mistrust when he finds out. Sounds like he just doesn't want you up in your room all day and not spending time with him. You should be going to college soon anyway. You will have internet in your room there and I don't think he is going to be able to cut you off from it. If you can't confront your dad or mom about the internet then there are more problems than having to use 56k in your family. Listen I am a junior in college and I have done alot of stuff to make my parents mad. They were the maddest when I would sneak around. Hell half the time if I had asked or told them how I felt they would have let me do what I wanted. I was the fear of them saying No that kept me from asking. Your 18 and its time to grow up and take some chances. Please don't be like my friend who never stuck up to his parents and has had the most boring and crappiest life I have ever seen. I would rather deal with the consiquences of my actions that live with not knowing what could have happened. Damn you for making me sound an adult :) .

He never said he was 18, he said that he would still have a restricted license when he is 18.

Back