• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Nvidia 1080 launch thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll be waiting for the 1080 Ti then I'll be buying in. It's going to be very interesting to see what the ungimped version can do. BTW, billions of dollars of R & D is just :drool:

The 980ti was some ~8 months after the 980 - do you think the same trend will follow with the 1080?

I do... yes. The 1080Ti will reportedly have HBM2. There is a production shortage of HBM2 and both AMD and NVIDIA will be using that memory. I would expect the 1080Ti to come out in early 2017 unless AMD comes out with a hell of a card in Vega come fall which may have NVIDIA bring the 1080Ti to us earlier.

I do... yes. The 1080Ti will reportedly have HBM2. There is a production shortage of HBM2 and both AMD and NVIDIA will be using that memory. I would expect the 1080Ti to come out in early 2017 unless AMD comes out with a hell of a card in Vega come fall which may have NVIDIA bring the 1080Ti to us earlier.

100% agreed with this

Yes fair enough for that but i'm curious to exactly what scenario/benchmark it was 7x faster, or is it one of those things that will never again be mentioned ? This is like going to a store, you ask for a GPU for games and the clerk says "the company that makes this GPU says its up to 10x faster then yours" (never mentions in what ground its faster). Ok party in my pants and all that, you take it home and it does around 20% higher. Whats the 1st thing that goes through your mind ?

The above sounds like my experience "upgrading" from an ATI 9800 Pro to an X850xt. The differences were negligible in all the games I could bench.

some 'unconfirmed' benchmarks are leaking out now:
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-firestrike-benchmarks/

Seems to be very promising. As previously expected ~20-25% better than Titan X.

Overclocking gives very high boosts it seems too.

There were some DX12 benchmarks out in the wild this week as well, AOTS. I dont think the gains were that huge there though. Still clearly the most powerful GPU available though!

Only need to wait till Tuesday to get a slew of gaming benchmarks and probably some good overclocking tests.

The above sounds like my experience "upgrading" from an ATI 9800 Pro to an X850xt. The differences were negligible in all the games I could bench.
curious...there was a big difference between the two...

some 'unconfirmed' benchmarks are leaking out now:
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-firestrike-benchmarks/

Seems to be very promising. As previously expected ~20-25% better than Titan X.

Overclocking gives very high boosts it seems too.

There were some DX12 benchmarks out in the wild this week as well, AOTS. I dont think the gains were that huge there though. Still clearly the most powerful GPU available though!

Only need to wait till Tuesday to get a slew of gaming benchmarks and probably some good overclocking tests.
20-25% better is where I expected it. That's going to put the 1070 around titanX if I had to guess, if not a bit faster...

Sorry for the double post..........

http://videocardz.com/59882/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-overclocking-performance
This time we only have FireStrike scores. According to the leaker GTX 1080 was running at 2114 MHz clock, which is roughly 381 MHz more than stock 1733 MHz boost clock. This is the first time new Pascal GP104-based graphics cards shows its true potential. We are observing a substantial boost in performance, GTX 1080 has 152/161/161% of GTX TITAN X stock performance in FireStrike Performance/Extreme and Ultra respectively.

yes, although that is comparing an overclocked 1080 to a stock titan.

I guess an overclocked 1080 will be around 20% better than an overclocked titan.

It also ties in very neatly to what nvidia advertised last week. So currently no deception :)

I do want to see some 4k benchmarks on a single overclocked 1080 though :) lets see what it can do with games like rise of the tomb raider!

Alright, let me pose a scenario...

You get a new GPU and compare it to your old GPU.
The same benchmark is run on both GPU's.
In your result, the performance is double.
What is your new GPU in comparison to the old one? It is twice as fast.

This is what nVidia is saying. They never said it was twice as fast at all times in all scenarios.
Your cynicism is completely unfounded and the more you spew it the more frivolous your posts become.

If you don't want to believe what they are saying has truth then wait until the embargo runs out, get a card, and do some empirical testing yourself.

Nvidia said the GTX 1080 is double the performance of titan X and they did not say how, that is shady or hyp since they don't say what it is double in. Unless the 1080 is double in any gaming bench marks then they are telling the truth, that is what a video card is fore.

Well maybe PC industry will change if we all call the PC advertising hype or shady so they will be more honest.
I made this my point because I'm Honest person that can see shady or hype people with a agenda. So when the reviews are out we will see if what Nvidia said is hyp. From my prospective what I see here people are fine with fudging the truth or also called a lie, I just cant believe it.

I'm not the bad guy here spewing in the wind, I'm Honest hard working person and Gaming is a hobby, not a job to research what value I'm paying fore.

Any definitive news about SLI ability with the 9xx cards? I don't want to ditch my GTX970 unless I absolutely have to. I am loath to go SLI, unless the 970's drop to the $200 mark.

Nvidia said the GTX 1080 is double the performance of titan X and they did not say how, that is shady or hyp since they don't say what it is double in. Unless the 1080 is double in any gaming bench marks then they are telling the truth, that is what a video card is fore.

I made this my point because I'm Honest person that can see shady or hype people with a agenda. So when the reviews are out we will see if what Nvidia said is hyp. From my prospective what I see here people are fine with fudging the truth or also called a lie, I just cant believe it.

I'm not the bad guy here spewing in the wind, I'm Honest hard working person and Gaming is a hobby, not a job to research what value I'm paying fore.

Correct, they did not say how, it was an ANNOUNCEMENT. They can't give every detail, so of course they're going to cherry pick.
Also, if you think GPU's are only for gaming, you need to think again.

If you're so worried about spewing in the wind, and not using your time to research, then quit looking at anything until we get our hands on a 1080 and do testing for the front page.

Edit: To add to this, again, the 2X performance claim you continually cite (ad nauseam) is in reference to only VR content.

Any definitive news about SLI ability with the 9xx cards? I don't want to ditch my GTX970 unless I absolutely have to. I am loath to go SLI, unless the 970's drop to the $200 mark.

I would be shocked if they did it, nVidia has never done cross-gen (or even cross-model) SLI.

Last edited:

If you only play dx12 games I think you could seeing as you can combine amd and nvidia gpus idk how all that works though

If you only play dx12 games I think you could seeing as you can combine amd and nvidia gpus idk how all that works though

Very true, I keep forgetting DX12 exists.
It will require support by the game devs though, as SLI and CrossfireX do now, just for the record.

Edit: To add to this, again, the 2X performance claim you continually cite (ad nauseam) is in reference to only VR content.
He did not say that, we interpret the chart with a close look and compare it to what he says. I just wish marketing was not so bad and they would of just waited till NDA was lifted then did the conference at the same time. Sorry for getting carried away it's tough world, survival of the fittest.

Did you see the Nvidia conference video?

Back