• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Nvidia 1080 launch thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol well that's what I was thinking but people aren't really dropping prices right now... I'm actually kind of suprised.

Not sure where you're looking but I saw a new 980ti at microcener for $475 and have been seeing the prices of used 980tis on various locations for the mid4-s all week.

actually now might be the best time to grab used cards before the benchmarks come out and people get disappointed over nvidia claims

LOL that is one way to look at it. I just whish the new card prices are not so high, GTX 1090 Founders $699 GTX 1070 Founders: $449. I just purchased my EVGA GTX SSC 970 6 moths ago, looks like a heavy loss selling my GTX 970 if I don't wait till the partner video cards come out and see if they sell at 1080 MSRP: $599 1070 MSRP:$379.

Last edited:
though what are Benchmark performances gonna do, if the Benchmark doesn't really do what other games are doing anymore?

just like how the aquamark is basically obsolete.
eventually many of the older benchmarks will be too.

AMD seems to do better in benchmark, but in real gaming FPS or (micro-stutter issues) they just never been at the top level since 2013.
it is no wonder the share price reflects... though this makes it boring... hope AMD chases up something next. (though I am not expecting soon.)

I'm super upset, i was at dreamhack during the keynote. I even got an invite to the event, but i didn't realize it was "the" keynote, and not just some nvidia event. Walked right passed the courtesy bus to the event, and ended up watching the keynote live from my hotel in Austin.

I think I'll probably end up waiting for the 1080 Ti, i can't bring myself to sell off my 970's yet, especially since i have to factor waterblocks into my costs and the performance difference between 980's and 980 ti's is substantial. I'm also really interested in seeing how these new cards perform with folding@home, that's the main selling point for me (and by extension those higher performance/watt gains).

LOL that is one way to look at it. I just whish the new card prices are not so high, GTX 1090 Founders $699 GTX 1070 Founders: $449. I just purchased my EVGA GTX SSC 970 6 moths ago, looks like a heavy loss selling my GTX 970 if I don't wait till the partner video cards come out and see if they sell at 1080 MSRP: $599 1070 MSRP:$379.

Damn. An easy $500+ up here then. Welp guess ill have to save up. For a dew months lol.

Or longer if i can snatch some 970s for folding :D

I have a question for you older members who have been following Nvidia for years. How many times in the past has Nvidia made bold claims at major conferences such as what they did last Friday? And how many times have they actually backed up their claims with real world performance that was at least close to what was advertised? I am simply curious

I have a question for you older members who have been following Nvidia for years. How many times in the past has Nvidia made bold claims at major conferences such as what they did last Friday? And how many times have they actually backed up their claims with real world performance that was at least close to what was advertised? I am simply curious

Im still waiting for the "up to 7x faster" :)

All companies try to ride the hype train. They will not out right lie because that can get them into trouble with false advertising.

What they will do is find a very specific metric (benchmark, test, etc.) that exaggerates their gains. Hence most of us saying to wait until the embargo lifts to pass judgement.

May have been mentioned in a previous post, but their claims could also be factoring in the SMP (simultaneous multi-projection) feature which boosts performance by ~25%. It's supposed to be available for Pascal 2.0 as well as Maxwell, but their comparisons for the performance data could have been using a pre-SMP driver Maxwell card and a new-driver Pascal card.

Which is to say, I agree with:

What they will do is find a very specific metric (benchmark, test, etc.) that exaggerates their gains. Hence most of us saying to wait until the embargo lifts to pass judgement.

Last edited:
How do you know its shady? I am sure that there will be a benchmark where it shows 2x performance over Titan X. That may be in VR, compute, something... we don't know what it is yet.

Its feels like this is many people's first time seeing a new GPU/CPU launch! Why is everyone surprised about the marketing they (both camps) put out??

That is why it is called "shady" because we don't know what he's taking about. Twice the performance what? Let me give you a example, so your telling me it is twice the performance or do I have to read the fine print or wait for the bench marks. I see a lack of trust, that is the definition of shady.

Then I guess everything that is released before benchmarks come out are "shady"? Can't say I buy into that thought process. It is what it is... Hype seems more appropriate because shady (defined as "doubtful honesty or legality") alludes to the fact that there are nefarious intentions behind hit. I don't think there is. Its just marketing. Its normal. I am more than sure there is at least one benchmark that shows it as they say.

If you think this is shady, I wonder what you think of all the AMD hype that was released before they fell flat...going on your thinking are they the anti-christ? :p

I looked up the definition of shady up and it is informal, doubtful honesty or legality. No alludes allowed EarthDOG.;)

Last edited:
I already said that... but thanks again. Not going around in circles with you and your grammar. ;)

Its not shady. I will leave it at that.

Well EarthDog maybe PC industry will change if we all call the PC advertising hype or shady so they will be more honest. Since 2008 you always have to have the last word with me, it would be nice to have a change.;)

They are not being dishonest... but you seem to keep missing that point... or simply disagree.

Sorry I disagree with your assertions and feel compelled to respond. But welcome to forums Wingman. ;)

Back