• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Nvidia 1080 launch thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are looking at raw power used and ignoring performance, sure! Performance per watt though...kills it. 180W and (likely) WAY faster than a 980Ti? That is over a 33% improvement on PP/W.

Yeah I see where EarthDog is going.

1080 (if Nvidia isn't BS'n) is way more economical friendly if it's comparable to a 980ti at only 180 watts.

But then again they 'could' only be talking about "1080 is better than 980SLI" in VR specific programs which could mean something g entirely different in real world testing.

Here's to hoping that they aren't BS'n though! Total raw power!

Then why do they charge a premium for overclocked cards if they could overclock to SC SSC FTW or Classified with all there testing binning? You have to remember all I do also most people do is plug and play no fan ramping or extra cooling and works on all games, some of the games I have seen memory artifact minor some times. Also the big spot for me is when a new demanding game comes out I had 2 different modes of EVGA SC lockup on me and they sent me a new one because when I under clocked to stock it would paly fine on both. It's all about plug in case no mater what the temp is and get the overclock rated without boost. For 30 years I had my case cover off no fans except the CPU. With one fan and the case closed I get no boost speed, however my GTX 970 EVGA always gets the max boost of 1418Mhz with cover off and the fans don't ramp up that much, you can here a pin drop.

We all forget the key to overclocking is cooling and voltage and they have done a fine job with big high teck heat sinks and dual fans.

Most people in the know like you do close cases with a lot of fans and nowadays test bench with one fan, I don't need a fan heat rises and I get fresh air all the time.

Looking at average results on all GTX900 cards I can say that only EVGA Classifieds/KPE are really binned and have higher ASIC. All other cards have random ASIC. You can get everything regardless what series you buy.

I called EVGA by phone and they say they test every overclocked card they sell to grantee it will overclock to the rated advertised overclocking.

I called EVGA by phone and they say they test every overclocked card they sell to grantee it will overclock to the rated advertised overclocking.
Not sure what your point is here?

That is the binning process. If it says it run at XXXX/XXXX on the box, it will run those speeds.

Wingman they will only run the advertised speed is what EarthDog is saying. That's the ONLY guarantee
That was my point originally:)

Not sure what your point is here?

That is the binning process. If it says it run at XXXX/XXXX on the box, it will run those speeds.
Well my point is when EVGA test the GPU's some must fail the test for overclocking. I will have try and find out if EVGA Bin the GPU's or TSMC does the binning for EVGA.

Yes, those that may not pass at say, SSC levels may pass at SC levels or even lower, reference clocks. It gets labeled as such. It's how binning works. It has to fit within clock speed and power thresholds to make each bin.

But we are again getting off topic... ;)

Yes, those that may not pass at say, SSC levels may pass at SC levels or even lower, reference clocks. It gets labeled as such. It's how binning works. It has to fit within clock speed and power thresholds to make each bin.

But we are again getting off topic... ;)
Just have one thing say, I know how binning is done:)along with what you said they also bin with the thermal threshold testing.

I have a 970ftw right over there that begs to differ, it'll make about 1450 while both of my ftw+ cards will make 1500. though 50mgz is kind of splitting hairs, gaming wise.

These cards arent released yet/available, cant say I am surprised. When they are, and see actual performance numbers, you should see that start happening.

actually now might be the best time to grab used cards before the benchmarks come out and people get disappointed over nvidia claims

Well that;s a glass half empty take.... :shrug:

I have a similar feeling. On kijiji cards were selling for $800 around a week ago, now you see them hit as low as $600 CAD (myself included), but I do wonder if the gtx 1070 will indeed beat the gtx 980ti, and if it does, by how much? The last thing I want to do is sell my card, and get a crappier card for the same amount of money; although I feel this won't be the case, but it is a fear of mine nonetheless.

Its a reasonable fear. I do expect it to land between the 980 and 980Ti/TitanX (being closer to 980Ti). ANd for $380...... (if its true) that is hard to pass up.

Back