• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nvidia 730a possible ram problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juicedUP

Ok im lost and confused, I have RMA'd the PSU>Video card>Processor>Mobo, all besides the ram I get it back last night put it all together runs fine during driver installs and everything soon as I start installing WoW it freezes 30mins in, I re-boot it runs fine 1hr40mins, im happy, then next thing I know , Black screen > No signal > monitor powers down(wich has happend before I rma'd it as well along with constant hard lock ups etc .. with PC running still normally in the background, now is this something RAM would cause? or should I now look at cooling.. I need help guys!

it is a EVGA Nvida Nforce 730a Hybrid SLI Mobo and I have already sent back and recieved a brand new Power supply wich im using right now, for instance im on the computer right now but at any random time it can just lock up on me for no reason! i just downloaded this everest monitor for my pc everyone says its good and its reading 46 for gpu diode, both core1/core2 of my processor are 58-61, CPU overall reading 53, and im believing this is reading in celsius. im wondering if I may have a heating issue going on

At a guess I'd say your PSU just isn't enough for the video card you're running. At 220W you're sucking down 18-19A right there, which doesn't leave a whole lot for anything else ...

At a guess I'd say your PSU just isn't enough for the video card you're running. At 220W you're sucking down 18-19A right there, which doesn't leave a whole lot for anything else ...

Hmm,
That almost seems logical, kinda makes sense on why sometimes i`ll get a random monitor power down, because it seems to be stopping all power to the video card, and how even leaving the Video card installed/powered up while im on the 8200 Onboard I won't get any hard lock ups but i`ll get random blank solid color screens, black mainly. Now if I remove the 9600 I will have absolutley no problems at all, possibly meaning it has plenty of power for the rest of the system but not the video card?? Wich is the reason im ending up with these results?? I`ve taken it to professional shop locally and they say ALL hardware checks out but it still freezes and even they don't kno why but they never mentioned the PSU. and like I said I just RMA'd the WHOLE system all but the RAM.

I'm aiming towards the PSU now, im gonna run some troubleshooting tests remove the card and see what happens etc.. any suggestions on what amount of wattage I should be having to juice the Mobo&Video card? funny how none of these "Pro techs" didn't think of this!

Well I'll admit I haven't assembled hundreds of machines but building a rig for someone else and maintaining your own SETI farm are two different things entirely! ;) PSUs that are short on power is something I try hard to avoid while keeping the PSU as cheap (for a good unit) as possible. I like to have a minimum of 400W for an X2 machine so, adding in your video card requirements brings your needs up to ~650W just to be on the safe side. If you plan on going SLI anytime soon I suggest even more - add another 200W to that for the second card.

Here's a nice OCZ unit that's good quality and will deliver plenty of power for your single card system:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

Guess i`ll be calling EVGA tomorrow even though I just got back a brand new rma'd MB from them! People are baffled and leaning towards something in this hybrid board is making the Onboard conflict with the added card(9600 gso). I took it to the local shop today the guys got on it and twerked with some things thought they got it, had me head home booted up surfed for a few fine got on WoW boom hard lock up, called and told them and they had no clue because everything passed tests and diagnostics! so something isnt working nicely together in these boards! any more suggestions on how to completley make this onboard non active.

Has anyone found a solution? I have the same problem except I have random lockups just being on desktop on idle, the only thing I have done differently is I changed the cpu out from a X2 5200+ to a Tricor X3 Phenom2, I did not have any problems at all until I installed this new chip, I have a 730a mobo and also am NOT using the onboard video, I have a gtx260 superlocked addition, again everything has worked fine until I slapped in this cpu, also I did get the latest bios update, so that this cpu would be fully supported, had no problems updating bios everything seemed to work great for like 1 day and then now im having random freeze ups, can't do anything except hard reboot, also the sound does loop. I have tried everything including reinstalling OS. Im using vistax64 ultimate btw. These are my specs.

This computer is basically brand new everything in it was purchased not even a month in with no problems UNTIL this new phenom 2
730a evga
gtx260
4 gigs 800 ddr2 supertalent ram, tested with no problems with memtest.
X3 phenom2 720be
Corsair 750tx 60 amp on 12v single rail
HD also tested with NO problems at all is a 1.5TB 32cache Seagate
Mid tower case with 6 fans very good cooling cpu and mobo both running very low on heat even at full load
Also one thing to add my sound also starts to stutter and loop when it does freeze, but like I said this randomly happends even on idle with no sound at all playing. Has anyone found a fix for this? even called evga they are clueless I may just put back the x2 5200 since I had NO problems with that chip I just wanted a faster one =( looks like I may not get it.

Possible Stability??? .. Hi guys I may have possible stablelized my system some how some way, very confusing and doesn't make sense hence it is a process that I exectued atleast 5 times before while troubleshooting all of this.

Actions taken.
- Formatted HDD
- Re-installed Fresh Home Premium Vista.
- Ran Nvidia driver sweeper removed any traces of anything.(gotta get it all off!!)
- Installed MOBO drivers.
- ROLLED BACK Video card driver, no longer use 185.85 I believe it is still glitched, I rolled back to 182.50. and walah!

This is something I did before, and also the local PC shop did before as well and resulted in the same stuff happenin well since those actions it has been stable, 2 days ago, it was up fine surfing,gaming,downloading etc ... not one freeze uptime:10hr-12mins. next day, fine surfing and Hard gaming(WoW) uptime:3-4hr incriments through out the day, and today uptime 2hr30mins, no freezes, last night it locked up but as weird as it sound it was because of my cellphone... it was directly next to my PC the PC locked up and instantly after my phone rang, re-booted > now keep the phone away > Works fine!

Not quite sure what happend here but im not complaining, im looking into my logs further will post any other solutions.! DEFINITLEY ROLL BACK TO 182.50! google it and get it from the official nvidia site!

Last edited:
@juicedUP
Im new to these forums, but I've been building computers for over 10years now, and I am going to list this directly from XFX's website to reinforce QI's suggestion.

XFX RECOMMENDED POWER SUPPLY REQUIREMENTS

* Non-SLI: Minimum 500W or greater
* SLI: Minimum 600W or greater

Now you need to add in that your using better than normal RAM, which will boost your power requirement up some more, and your raidmax PSU while being 500W is a low-end 500W PSU and the power its putting out across the 12v rails isnt sufficient to sustain your GPU properly. I suggest upgrading to a 700W-850W PSU.

In my system as you can see by my sig ive got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159085 which is a low-end 700w PSU, but the power distribution on the 12v rails is enough to power my 4870 across both PCI-E connectors.
When building a computer the PSU is one thing you never really want to skimp on your cost. In the Win98 ERA you could get by with a cheap PSU, but not so much anymore. If you are working on a budget, you should look into cheaper RAM. However if you do need to skimp on the PSU, make sure you have 200w-300w over the recommended level for your GPU.

@Gozer28
Yours is simply a case of "it says it so it should take it."
Just because you have an AM2/AM2+ board doesnt mean you can slap any CPU into it. You placed a Phenom II X3 socket AM3 into an AM2/AM2+ only board.

Supported processors :AMD phenom, Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64, Sempron ( AM2 and AM2+, hyperTransport 2600 MHz)

Last edited:
Back