• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED nVidia Ampere (3000-series) GPU Rumors and Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep I saw that mentioned over on Videocardz, watch the barely available for a few seconds supply of 30x0ti cards disappear now.

I just received a 3060Ti LHR and at auto settings, in the nicehash miner, it picks octopus/NBMiner as the best option and gets ~46MH/s. That's without any clock, driver, etc., adjustments so I guess it's not bad.

I dislike mining in general and I hate to see how it changed the hardware market. On the other hand, I can't do anything with that and since I'm not playing games 24/7 then I'd rather mine than see how my cards are collecting dust. My monthly salary is so low that I won't complain about an additional profit till it lasts.

I've been screaming that this shortage isn't caused by miners almost since the beginning and we are finally seeing that this is true. Yet, miners are still receiving the bulk of the blame for GPU shortages. Yes, of course, miners play a role in this but they are not the bulk of the problem. If they were then there would be no way this shortage would go well into 2022 since Ethereum mining is expected to halt in early 2022.

If they were then there would be no way this shortage would go well into 2022 since Ethereum mining is expected to halt in early 2022.
Today is a lot different than it was prior to LHR cards though. As soon as they were released, between bots/scalpers/mining/consumers/pandemic problems, they all played a role. Thing is, if those 100s of thousands of cards weren't mining (or a ridiculous price caused by the shortage) we wouldn't have (as much of) this pent-up demand (how much, who knows). So NOW, I agree it isn't the majority of the reason. However out of the gate and the following months, I think it was a significant if not the primary driver to shortages and price increases. Sure, scalpers still would have been there, but if another 100K+ (no clue how many, likely a lot more than that) cards were available........................... :shrug:

I think it's pretty well documented that the primary driver for the shortages was TSMC's inability to produce. This is why we saw shortages in every industry that requires semi-conductors. I agree with you early on that miners played a sizable role, aggressively buying what they could. This led to scalpers capitalizing on the situation compounding the issue. That was the THEN scenario, the Now scenario is very different. It seems gamers are the major contributor to feeding the scalpers (I'm including AIB's with severely overpriced cards as scalpers) buying up cards at 1.5-2x MSRP because they are tired of waiting. "I gotta live my life." was one comment I got on Reddit when asking why they would pay that much. It's bonkers really.

Oi don't get into canada computers often but was in Saturday and surprised there was only 2 video cards on the shelf a 1770 I think and a gigbyte 3080. I checked on line when I got home not listed. Looked again another day and found listing for 3080ti cards, 3 or 4 different cards scattered between the stores maybe 30 or 40 cards. Obviously they got a shipment. A fluke shipment or a subtle change, I don't know . The 3080ti was listing $2200 CND and up that's some serious coin.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that the PC industry is far from the only one affected with the silicon shortage, one good example is the car industry with brands like Toyota, Volkswagen, General Motors, Ford, Nissan, Daimler, BMW and Renault all cutting back production. Fair enough that most scientists and environmentalists would see this as a good thing, but still, you see my point [emoji13]

Everyone seems to be forgetting that the PC industry is far from the only one affected with the silicon shortage, one good example is the car industry with brands like Toyota, Volkswagen, General Motors, Ford, Nissan, Daimler, BMW and Renault all cutting back production. Fair enough that most scientists and environmentalists would see this as a good thing, but still, you see my point [emoji13]

Workers who need to feed their families and pay their overpriced mortgages* sure won't.

*From someone who watched firsthand the housing market crash from a front seat in affluent suburbs** of Detroit in 2006.

**BTW, I lived in a 3rd-floor walkup apartment while in school, not in one of those overvalued homes. :sly:

I had my new house built in 2004. You are describing my life. While I wouldn't consider that suburb affluent, it's a very long ways from Ghetto.

I had my new house built in 2004. You are describing my life. While I wouldn't consider that suburb affluent, it's a very long ways from Ghetto.

Which suburb? I didn't mention a particular one. There are most assuredly some affluent ones...

Oh most definitely. I was just saying mine wasn't. It was in Clinton Township off 16 mile.

Oh I gotcha. No, I used to commute in my little beater with the rust holes down to 9 mile from Bloomfield, right next to a bunch of Jags and such, Aston Martins, even a Ford GT I used to see regularly. Crazy money up there, but then I remember going to a lot of estate sales out there, too. Lotta people lost everything in that crash.

Received the eVGA notify for the 3060 Ti XC Gaming today if anyone is interested. I don't need it but can pick it up for an established member if someone wants it. I have about 2 hours until it expires so let me know quick.

Damn. Missed that. Looks like Evga's 3080Ti reservation list is up through the 8:00AM people now from the June release day. I'm at 8:24AM so I hope it gets to me soon.

Back