• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED nVidia Ampere (3000-series) GPU Rumors and Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Back to an even more incomprehensible topic: What's the video card situation in Scotland right now? And I'm not talking about online... Have you been to an actual store to see what they have sitting on the shelf? Surely the video card section of any major electronic store isn't just sitting empty right now?

TBH we don't have (m)any decent brick-and-mortar stores where you can buy graphics cards from, and I haven't set foot in any of them in years! The big chains are expensive and a bit crap (Currys/PCWorld; Maplin went under recently) and the smaller independent stores are very expensive. I tend to get most of my hardware from Scan, or failing that Ebuyer or sometimes OCUK.

TBH we don't have (m)any decent brick-and-mortar stores where you can buy graphics cards from, and I haven't set foot in any of them in years! The big chains are expensive and a bit crap (Currys/PCWorld; Maplin went under recently) and the smaller independent stores are very expensive. I tend to get most of my hardware from Scan, or failing that Ebuyer or sometimes OCUK.

Maplins closing "recently"? I had to look it up, over 3 years ago now. Unless they were reborn and closed again? I'm in a love-hate relationship with Scan. Started looking at OCUK more these days. Their parent company is Caseking (German) and pricing tends not to be the most competitive though. I stopped using them many years ago as I and many others had major problems with the former management.

Anyway, 2080 Ti extracted and photo taken, I just need to make the listing to try and shift it.

I also found a UK price/stock checker site that actually seems to work. There are 3070 available in stock right now, for less than I paid for mine months ago. 3080 is still a challenge in that they are few and far between, and pricing remains higher there. 3080 Ti also plentiful but the cash they want for them is also plentiful.

Part of me is wondering if all this stress and pain is worth it for a few more fps. I have a 3070, it is ok. At worst I just have to turn down settings a bit, and with FSR kicking off it might be less important for newer games going forwards.

I think it important to separate the geological from the political. Republic of Ireland is in EU but it is also not on mainland europe. Where does mainland europe stop? You could walk from Portugal through India (indirectly) to China if you wanted to. The definition of continents I believe are due to how land masses have moved over time. India was not connected to Asia until it collided... some time back.

At risk of going down a Google hole, I did try to look up how the European continent is defined. That nuked what I wrote above. Apparently it is a historical political division and not geological. Europe is just a part of the landmass including Asia, and India (which is separate geologically). The classification as a separate continent was apparently due to differences in culture in the medieval period. While there are differences between countries in Europe, they're much smaller than the differences compared to say the Far East.

SEE! That's what I mean! Once you go down that rabbit hole of thought... things get CRAZY! :D :D :D

Anyway, back to topic, I have a 2080 Ti to try and sell to free up funds for a 3080+ which are being listed more often now.

Oh damn! All this time you've been talking about selling your 2080ti... it never even occurred to me how close you are. Are you trying to get today's astronomical prices for it? Or a normal, human price?

Because I might be interested in case I decide not to opt for the 3060 12GB.

Maplins closing "recently"? I had to look it up, over 3 years ago now. Unless they were reborn and closed again? I'm in a love-hate relationship with Scan. Started looking at OCUK more these days. Their parent company is Caseking (German) and pricing tends not to be the most competitive though. I stopped using them many years ago as I and many others had major problems with the former management.

OK, my recollection of time has suffered during the pandemic! :)

I've never had a bad experience with Scan. I ordered a couple of bits from OCUK for my recent build because they seem to be one of the few places selling Lian-Li gear in the UK, and I wasn't very impressed. Basically the case and fans were both on backorder and I ended up waiting months because rather than put one item aside when it came in, they were almost waiting for both to be in stock at the same time, which I would contend is not great customer service. Pretty slow to reply to emails too, and not great at reading them either.

Oh damn! All this time you've been talking about selling your 2080ti... it never even occurred to me how close you are. Are you trying to get today's astronomical prices for it? Or a normal, human price?

I just listed it on a facebook group asking £550. I make that equivalent to about 640 euro. Basically I took similar ebay pricing and knocked it down a bit. Will see how it goes, I put collection only as it protects both buyer and seller, making sure they get the item in good condition, and I get payment in a way that can't be pulled back after the deal. If it doesn't sell soon, maybe we can talk separately. Beware I think there are now customs fees moving between UK and EU, which might make it not economic.

I've never had a bad experience with Scan. I ordered a couple of bits from OCUK for my recent build because they seem to be one of the few places selling Lian-Li gear in the UK, and I wasn't very impressed. Basically the case and fans were both on backorder and I ended up waiting months because rather than put one item aside when it came in, they were almost waiting for both to be in stock at the same time, which I would contend is not great customer service. Pretty slow to reply to emails too, and not great at reading them either.

Many times I ordered things shown as in stock on their site. No dispatch. I pinged them before they pinged me, and for whatever reason they seem to lose stock so the site isn't 100% accurate. I wish they had a button that let you choose "ship whatever you have and cancel anything you can't ship today", or "ship only if you have everything" e.g. if you need more than one thing at the same time getting part is useless. Because right now you don't know something is wrong until you don't get the dispatch e-mail, by which time they're closed for the day and you can't sort it out until the next.

I tried to order the 3080 from them the other day. It was shown in stock on the website. Three attempts showed a vague message saying they decline the order, after successfully verifying payment with my card provider. I wonder if they just have a rubbish site system, where the items are technically in stock because they're not sold, but enough other people are also in the payment process they have them "locked". But that doesn't make sense if they also let me go through the whole payment process. So I have no idea.

Got my laptop from OCUK, that went without any fuss, but was the only time I used them under current management.

I just listed it on a facebook group asking £550. I make that equivalent to about 640 euro. Basically I took similar ebay pricing and knocked it down a bit. Will see how it goes, I put collection only as it protects both buyer and seller, making sure they get the item in good condition, and I get payment in a way that can't be pulled back after the deal. If it doesn't sell soon, maybe we can talk separately. Beware I think there are now customs fees moving between UK and EU, which might make it not economic.

640... I could make that work! Though you're right about the taxes... I just bought a camera for like 329 from Kazhakstan and they had me pay like 65 euros tax on it... they'd probably rake me over the coals for 640...

Where, exactly, in the UK are you? England? I forget...

I occasionally use a facebook group to buy and sell. Recently there was another post a bit like that, 3070 FE for what at first glance looked like a good price. The thing was, FEs here are still sold at MSRP, so in that context it was still being scalped. My 2080 Ti sold now, but I found it amusing someone offered to swap it for a 3070 FE. A few months ago I might have taken it, but I already have a 3070 and don't need another.

PXL_20210726_121800428.jpg
PXL_20210726_121713152.jpg
PXL_20210726_121727855.jpg

Tons of cards today... At ridiculous prices! They had EVERYTHING. 3080TI 3060TI... and the first time I saw a 6800 with my own two eyes (or a 3070).

Unfortunately I couldn't upload everything because neither the app nor the site is really mobile-friendly...

Shocked I was able to get a 3080ti below msrp direct from evga, my "best friend" is still telling me they are going to cancel the order, lol.

Shocked I was able to get a 3080ti below msrp direct from evga, my "best friend" is still telling me they are going to cancel the order, lol.

How much was it?

Just picked up this 3060 for 479... Though I have some SERIOUS doubts about the one-fan design...

Probably either take it back tomorrow or sell it. The EVGA that was exactly 30 bucks more seemed VASTLY superior.

What say ye?

1_3060a.jpeg

1_3060b.jpeg

$1086 before shipping and tax. Here was the screenshot I took to share with a friend as he didn't believe me.

3080ti.jpg

It also shipped , so its really happening! :D

$1086 before shipping and tax. Here was the screenshot I took to share with a friend as he didn't believe me.

View attachment 214296

It also shipped , so its really happening! :D

What's your take on this 3060 I got for 479? The single fan has caused me a considerable amount of doubt...I think if they had the EVGA back in stock for 509 I'd probably jump at it... But maybe all this is silly given that retail should be 399 on the TI. (And probably will be... eventually.)

Isn't the 3060 pretty much equivalent to a 1080 , minus the fancy RTX stuff in terms of performance?

Prices are just crazy.

Cooling wise it probably will be fine, but more fans is almost always better imho.

Isn't the 3060 pretty much equivalent to a 1080 , minus the fancy RTX stuff in terms of performance?

Prices are just crazy.

Cooling wise it probably will be fine, but more fans is almost always better imho.

Yeah I've just never even SEEN a gpu in this range (960, 1060, 2060) that only had one fan. I was really taken by surprise.

According to the reviews... just about every 3060 performs the same. But I'm probably gonna hedge my bets and just wait til I either see a 3060ti for around the same price... or closer to 400.

Yeah I've just never even SEEN a gpu in this range (960, 1060, 2060) that only had one fan. I was really taken by surprise.

Gigabyte made a short 1070 with a single fan that I recall was popular for those doing tiny builds.

More generally, you could say every blower design was a single fan. My 980Ti for example. It did bounce off the thermal limiter in use but it wasn't far off coping. On that note, I have blower 1070 FE too, and in the past had a blower Vega 56. If you want hot, it was that Vega.

Back