• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia Kepler GTX700 (600?) series info here ->

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1st half 2012 for Kepler, and that summarizes all comment from NVIDIA today on that topic. They have a lot of Tegra3 stuff they are eager to talk about currently though.

Thats OK, then AMD can take over the GPU market while they build smartphone CPUs or something else, why not. ;) Still impressive that nowadays Smartphones are using 4 CPUs... its gonna be time for a 16 core desktop one.

lol the real question then is, "who's first half?". If I recall correctly their first 1/4 ends in june or july or something like that :p

1st half 2012 for Kepler, and that summarizes all comment from NVIDIA today on that topic. They have a lot of Tegra3 stuff they are eager to talk about currently though.

They suck. As nice as Tegra is, they are not making any fans by avoiding the kepler subject. 1st half can be all the way to June.. then there are things suchs as delays :bang head

lol the real question then is, "who's first half?". If I recall correctly their first 1/4 ends in june or july or something like that :p

So much can be taken from that, its pretty much a stupid comment from nvidia at this point.

Here's fudzilla's take on it:

In the last year, if not even longer, Nvidia has talked more about Tegra than any of their other products. This is despite the fact that anyone who has seen at their balance sheets knows that they make money mostly on Geforce and Quadro products.

After the keynote, we managed to ask Jen Hsun Huang, Nvidia CEO, a single question. We asked, where is Kepler? The answer we got was that we have to be "patient" about it.

Furthermore, we discovered that there was an internal discussion to showcase Kepler at this keynote but Nvidia decided not to. As far as we know, it was a business decision to wait, and Kepler is production scheduled to launch at a later date. Current estimates are that it will launch in first half of 2012, possibly sometime late in Q1.

http://fudzilla.com/component/k2/item/25503-jensen-on-kepler

It was Bryan@Nvidia I was talking to, and he's a pretty straight shooter - doesn't play games when he talks to you, so I would expect 1H 2012 to mean by end of June.

EDIT: CeBit is in March, Computex is in June, so if its 1st half then maybe we could get told something around CeBit (we would have heard more by now if it was a Cebit launch I think) and it would be silly for them to do Computex in June without launching it there if their goal is 1H 2012.

Last edited:
Any info on the wattage for each card or is it to early to tell?

The only official thing we know for sure is that an nVidia rep said 1st half. Everything else in this thread is speculation at this point, power consumption would have to be a speculation of the rest of the speculation.

In the past, 300watts has been the number AMD/nVIdia try to keep away from for the single chip high end card. I would assume around 250watts for the 780, and around 300 for the double.

More to read:

General Manager of mobile division at Nvidia Rene Haas, told Fudzilla that Kepler has more design wins than Fermi. He was talking notebooks of course as this is what he does.

He didn’t go into details on when Kepler launches but most of our meetings at CES indicated that mobile Kepler should come around Ivy Bridge launch time.

Nvidia reiterated on plenty of occasions that Kepler and Optimus won them many more design wins in 2012 than in 2011. Last year, Nvidia had more than 200 design wins and we are now hearing hearing a figure of 300, if not even more, out of some 550 possible on the discrete notebook market.

Our sources are telling us that Kepler should have some very good performances and should run much better than 28nm Southern Island mobile edition from AMD. We will have to wait and see, but this is the buzz at the CES 2012.

http://fudzilla.com/component/k2/item/25508-kepler-has-more-design-wins-than-fermi

My take and speculation;

Basically, when ivy bridge launches, mobile kepler is tied to it. Probably because they are part of a same platform, such as a notebook or something. As for design wins, that pretty much confirms their involvement with intel and other manufacturers out there with Kepler.

A design win is when a company wins sales through another company.

Last edited:
Source?

How did you extrapolate your speculation/definitions from the given information?

Link added,

Well, if nvidia is going to release a new product in the notebook segment, then they definitely won't be releasing their hardware with AMD processor. So this leaves them with intel processor. If nvidia is going to release something new with intel, then strategically speaking, it would make a whole lot of sense to release at the same time as intel's new product and enter a new platform with a bang. What reinforces this whole speculation, are the design wins. If they are showing more design wins, it means they are integrating further into other companies, namely intel being one of the very likely. To me this pretty much means they will launch their mobile kepler with ivy bridge mobile.

Fudzilla talking Kepler again, saying AMD's release of the 7950 on the 31st could be there to take some wind out of Kepler's sails if they plan a release around that time..

http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25519-radeon-hd-7950-comes-on-january-31st

At this point I think nVidia will not announce anything until Kepler is hitting online retailers. I think nVidia is going to be a surprise release with overnight reviews once the NDA lifts. After getting the "be patient" "1st half" from Jensen, I think he wants it to be a surprise bang. But that's just me..

Side note: I predict a late January soft launch, end Feb mass availability. <- Just a personal prediction..

Thanks for clearing that up Diaz... ;)

Cant say I agree with desktop Kepler coming out in Jan or February. I would be shocked (and pleased) if it comes before the end of 1Q.

Fudzilla talking Kepler again, saying AMD's release of the 7950 on the 31st could be there to take some wind out of Kepler's sails if they plan a release around that time..

http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25519-radeon-hd-7950-comes-on-january-31st

At this point I think nVidia will not announce anything until Kepler is hitting online retailers. I think nVidia is going to be a surprise release with overnight reviews once the NDA lifts. After getting the "be patient" "1st half" from Jensen, I think he wants it to be a surprise bang. But that's just me.

Side note: I predict a late January soft launch, end Feb mass availability. <- Just a personal prediction..

I have posted as much as there is to say officially - not holding anything back.

Unofficially, we've been partying each night since Sunday with manufacturers who will be releasing this stuff, and chatting up intoxicated "people of interest". Nothing further has come out of this recon either.

However, as NVIDIA doesn't build their own cards like AMD, all products are seeded by their partners for review. We have good connections with the appropriate partners and have been promised samples for release under NDA. Typically, we have foresight into the timeline, and often times we get product a week prior to being allowed to talk about it. At this point, we don't even have any foresight at all...

This means 2 things to me:
1. you may be right on your timeline, however I expect it will be much longer in coming out
2. if it does drop sooner, our poor reviewer is going to have a lot of work to do very quickly with poor preparation, which is generally something manufacturers try to avoid.

And finally, there is cebit in march aand computex in June. these are important industry shows, perhaps even better for this audience than CES, and major product releases are pretty likely to be made in close relation to those timeframes so they can maximize their marketing ROI.

just saying, I dont know, nothing official, but I think i have been fortunate that this site enables me to be part of ces and gain some degree of insight, so I wanted to share my thoughts.

take with a large grain of salt :)

Last edited:
2. if it does drop sooner, our poor reviewer is going to have a lot of work to do very quickly with poor preparation, which is generally something manufacturers try to avoid.

...unless you're AMD. Fingers crossed NVIDIA is a bit more forgiving than AMD. The other poor editors have to listen to my rants about how crazy it is to get these things done in a week. :p

Back