• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia Kepler GTX700 (600?) series info here ->

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm.. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphi...Recall_GeForce_600_Series_Graphics_Cards.html

I'm NOT posting that so it can be spread far and wide. The original source is dubious at best. No way it's making our front page without corroboration, but since this is the info thread I'm posting just for those that like all info on the series. Color me skeptical.

please god make this a lie. Decided to take the jump and go with a 670 over a 7970 cos i found the gigabyte one that has the nice afermarket cooler on it and 680 sized pcb. Was also hoping for the ability to tweak volts further down the line. I will kick myself if i have to go another day without a graphics card! ( having to wait for my 670 tomorrow and i think tonight is the first time in 7 years i have had to run a comp on onboard graphics!) This sucks ***!

I will believe it when I see it!

I don't think this is the kind of issue that slips through the cracks... has anyone here heard of a gk104 card degarding from load? I haven't... but I guess time will tell if this has any truth to it.

If this was true I don't think they would have released the 670 and 690. they would simply have recalled the 680's.

but that's just my $0.02

It depends on the card you choose. You get full credit for the card you purchased towards another card. For example:

You paid $400 for a 670, but will upgrade to a $500 680. It costs you $100.

All this information can be found on their website as well. :thup:
Note the current restrictions on what you can step up to. Only the base model 670 and 680 are eligible for stepping up to ATM. So if you get a base 680, you can't step it up to a SC or FTW. Hope that changes soon...

I certainly wouldnt step up to a overclocked version of the same card...when you can hit those clocks yourself, free, in minutes. Regardless thats good information to know in case others were thinking that way...

I certainly wouldnt step up to a overclocked version of the same card...when you can hit those clocks yourself, free, in minutes. Regardless thats good information to know in case others were thinking that way...
Well, the FTW has 4GB, that's more of what I was getting at. :) I was thinking of maybe getting a a base 680, then stepping up to a Classified whenever they come out, but I'm guessing demand for the Classified will probably be high enough for a while that you won't be able to step up to it.

Hmm.. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphi...Recall_GeForce_600_Series_Graphics_Cards.html

I'm NOT posting that so it can be spread far and wide. The original source is dubious at best. No way it's making our front page without corroboration, but since this is the info thread I'm posting just for those that like all info on the series. Color me skeptical.

lol... that would be disastrous.. but many times things like these are understood in the wrong way or misconstrued ex; someone talks about overvolting and silicon degradation over years, then someone understands that overvolting causes degradation, then spreads that around, and eventually someone understands it as "that card degrades over time". We are talking about several dozens of written languages over the internet, king of troll and misinformation.

god i wish gigabyte did step up programs DAMMIT! Im just relying on the fact that a 670 with a reference 680 board will hold its value more. I was so surprised that my 480 only decreased by £50 over the space of a year XD hehe.

New 670 coming today. Going to clock the sheet out of it. Should be able to get some decent clocks on account of it having a decent aftermarket. Saw one that got to 1300mhz although i think that was lucky ;). WTB voltage tweaks nvidia! Anyone think that they will allow this further down the line/have hear any info on it. I wana make sure this 670 is worth it ;)

Its worth it already. I do not belive voltage control as we knew it will come to this series with mere software updates.

its just for the same price i could have grabbed a 7970. Hopefully i get lucky and get a nice max OC from the 670. Also i know this is very much opinion but does SLI scale better than Xfire. Ive heard so much from both sides i really dont know what to think.

LoneWolf121188, FYI I gamed for a while last night at 5760x1080 (photo) on a single GTX670 and it was fine on Metro2033. I turned detail down to "normal", dropped MSAA x4 to AAA and dropped AF x16 to AF x4. I suppose if I had looked for a difference I'd have noticed one, but it those changes kept graphics looking good and the gameplay was smooth as butter. :thup:

EDIT - For clarity, that's an ASUS GTX670 DirectCU II TOP, with 2GB of memory. It ran high resolution just fine. I'm not sure if the processing power hampered it at higher detail or if it was memory size. I'm guessing processing power, but don't really have any way of testing that without a 3GB card here to test.

Last edited:
Let me know Xander: I hesitate between a 680 stock cooling and a 7970 full WB.
Mate i got the 670 ;). if its a choice between a 7970 or 680 i would go 7970. But with the gigabyte windforce 670 i got ( which has a reference 680 PCB) it kind of made it a a serious choice between a reference 7970 and 670. ( i wouldnt have got any of the other 670's with the stunted PCB) The reason i went with the 670 is that is has a nice aftermarket cooler on it. That with tide me over until i get to watercool it ( when i can just slap on a 680 waterblock.) If you can get a gigabyte windforce 670 i would say its a seriously hard choice between that and a 7970. I would say on water the 7970 will probs have the edge as it could probs get higher clocks. But we'll see ;)

oooo look what just arrived about an hour ago ;)

IMG_0238.JPG

Last edited:
Am I the only one that doesn't like the look of that Gigabyte cooler? No offense xander, just not my taste. Something about it is just creepy to me...like the fans ripped the skin off and exposed the skeleton inside. (Everyone else is thinking: :screwy:)

LoneWolf121188, FYI I gamed for a while last night at 5760x1080 (photo) on a single GTX670 and it was fine on Metro2033. I turned detail down to "normal", dropped MSAA x4 to AAA and dropped AF x16 to AF x4. I suppose if I had looked for a difference I'd have noticed one, but it those changes kept graphics looking good and the gameplay was smooth as butter. :thup:

EDIT - For clarity, that's an ASUS GTX670 DirectCU II TOP, with 2GB of memory. It ran high resolution just fine. I'm not sure if the processing power hampered it at higher detail or if it was memory size. I'm guessing processing power, but don't really have any way of testing that without a 3GB card here to test.
Gotcha, thanks. I'm primarily making my next rig for Flight Simulator and XPlane, and XPlane 10 can burn through 2GB VRAM pretty quick, even at 1900x1200. A guy on the X-plane.org forums has a 680 2GB and he said he was occasionally hampered by the VRAM. Might go with a 4GB 670...

Am I the only one that doesn't like the look of that Gigabyte cooler? No offense xander, just not my taste. Something about it is just creepy to me...like the fans ripped the skin off and exposed the skeleton inside. (Everyone else is thinking: :screwy:)

Gotcha, thanks. I'm primarily making my next rig for Flight Simulator and XPlane, and XPlane 10 can burn through 2GB VRAM pretty quick, even at 1900x1200. A guy on the X-plane.org forums has a 680 2GB and he said he was occasionally hampered by the VRAM. Might go with a 4GB 670...

HOW DARE YOU!!!! hehe nar mate each to their own. I <3 the look of it. Also the blue PCB goes well with my mobo/ colour scheme! And that cooler is going to go when i watercool it ;)

Also just did a little bit of tweaking to the clocks and got over 1300mhz boost ( i think 1305mhz) stable in furmark for about 25 mins before i got bored and deicded to play games :p. Left the fan on auto, never broke 70c. When i whacked the fan up to 100% i hovered in the low 60s. This card is truly great. I was very sceptical before i bought it and whether i went down the right route not getting a 7970. But i have to say until i get watercooling this was a great purchase.

played BF3 for about 45 mins on a few large conquest 64 man maps and never skipped a beat under 60fps with everything maxed. I heard that getting near 1300mhz boost stable is rare for the 670s with it being more around the 1250 mark. But it seems that with this specific card on most of the reviews/ threads ive seen about it its hitting 1300 most of the time. I doubt it but could this be to do with the reference 680 pcb compared to the stunted 670 pcb that the other have?

I love the gigabyte look, plus they run super cool with that many fans and how much air they flow.

I had a gtx470 with the same fan design from gigabyte and it overclocked to 875 core clock at 1.038v as the daily overclock and only loaded to around 60c while gaming which of course is super low for those first gen fermi's on air.

Back