• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia vs ATi thanks to recent developments?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermodynamic

I recently bought a GTX260 to replace my 8800GTS. Runs MUCH MUCH cooler, performance feels at least the same but with AA and AF enabled...

But now I'm reading articles about nVidia and defective chips, so now I'm paranoid about my GTX260 going bad...

:eek:

My system only has one PCIe slot, so I won't be doing SLI or Crossfire...

I've thought about the HD4870X2, but is waaay too expensive. The HD4870 is a valid contender, though its performance in Flight Sim X leaves a bit to be desired...

My system board is a Gigabyte GA-P356-DS3L (Intel Q6600 @ 8x400, 8GB RAM)

Should I stick with nVidia and hope the chipset used in it won't fail, or go ATi?

Thanks much for reading!

Don't worry about it. GTX260 = roughly the same as 4870. Different scores for different games but the performance is roughly the same.

It's a great time to be a PC gamer right now. This is the first generation where things are roughly even. From the bottom, you have 9600GT and 3870, then 8800GT-8800GTS, then 4850 and 9800GTX/GTX+, then you have the 4870 and GTX260 and crossfire 4850's, SLI 8800's or GTS's. I mean, it's a really great time to buy anything.

It's like SNES vs. Sega Genesis all over again.

I'm not worried about owning an nVidia product. This is not like Intel vs. AMD. In the CPU business, AMD is in real trouble and just can't come up with a competitive product fast enough. In the GPU segment, nVidia had enjoyed a lead for the last couple of years but it has gone away now. They're not behind though, just no longer way out in front. And while nVidia has had some issues with notebook GPU's, their desktop line appears to be just fine so far.

Essenar is right. The close competition is good for gamers. It means great products at an even better price. Today you can buy a $140 video card that delivers the performance of a $300-400 card from last year. And for $300 you can buy a 9800GX2 or a pair of 4850's, a price to performance value that hasn't been seen in many years.

The hell with paranoia. That's why people MAKE stupid articles like that on the internet, to scare people into doing something stupid.

You don't want to be one of those people. :)

Back