• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Obsidian 800D Water Cooling build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The link to Noeru's Blood build has dual pump, dual rad, 1 res and a SLI setup. :thup: He really pushed his rig too

He's going to try and put a second 4 banger at the bottom and move the PSU to the hot swap bays. He is insane. Awesome build!

Yeah, I think that guy just needs to design and build his own case. Kudos for really pushing the limits of the mod though.

Omg! Jarl, dont talk about wc when u never own'd one! roar.
They are a thread Guts ithink made check this, u will find a ton of info. He mounted a THERMOCHILL 120.3 TOP - Swiftech 120.2 (220) bottom.
Watercooling Ram Is NOT NECCESSARY It Just Had Restriction to the loop, just buy an air cooled ram coolers...
i7 980x +120.3 Thermochill will keep him Cool!!!
As for Gpu. double sized rad will be as good as high end air cooler for GPU, dont expect the best temps, since u are underadding them but GPU are less sensitive to heat so...

EDIT here is the thread. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639546

who said I never owned one? well I haven't cuz wc is not necessary imo but I like danger den so...

who said I never owned one? well I haven't cuz wc is not necessary imo but I like danger den so...
If you haven't owned any water cooling equipment and think it's not necessary, why do like them so? The TDX is a rather dated and compared to most current blocks is certainly inferior. You're welcome to your opinion of course, but in the future, I'd refrain from telling anyone running a hexacore i7 to use a Danger Den CPU block.

To the OP - don't use Danger Den CPU blocks. :)

Big +1 to the others on not water cooling your RAM as well. It won't do anything for you as far as performance goes.

Everywhere I look people are saying do not water cool the ram because there is no really good cooling solutions. Is an array of Koolance ram blocks ineffective? I understand that most ram is good with just air cooling and doesn't need water cooling. Main reason I would want to water cool ram is to cut down on noise.

Everywhere I look people are saying do not water cool the ram because there is no really good cooling solutions. Is an array of Koolance ram blocks ineffective? I understand that most ram is good with just air cooling and doesn't need water cooling. Main reason I would want to water cool ram is to cut down on noise.

Yeah, that is the main reason I was wanting to water cool the ram. I've been told, though, that the fans on the ram aren't that loud, but I figure every decibel you can get rid of is only going to help. Maybe it's so insignificant of a difference that it's not worth the trouble. I don't know.

Also, in answer to OPs question. Saw this done if your really into not cutting your case.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/digital_storm_hailstorm

I was thinking of doing just that, but I don't really like how it looks. I would rather keep everything inside. I have never been against, or afraid to cut the case. I just don't really want to lose the 2 HD bays. I am definitely planing on cutting the case to fit a quad rad on top for one loop, just haven't decided what to do for the second yet.

If you are using a quad rad on top, then you should only need another single instead of a double, and can put that right on the back where there is a spot for it already. As far as I can figure out you need 1x120 per graphics card and 3x120 should take care of both the CPU and the chip set. In total 5x120. 4x120 + 1x120 vs 3x120 +2x120 should be the same after it gets up to temp.

That is what I am planning on doing. Pretty much going to be building the same setup that you are as soon as the rampage 3 comes out. Only with 5870s and 6gb ram instead of 5970s and 12.

If you are using a quad rad on top, then you should only need another single instead of a double, and can put that right on the back where there is a spot for it already. As far as I can figure out you need 1x120 per graphics card and 3x120 should take care of both the CPU and the chip set. In total 5x120. 4x120 + 1x120 vs 3x120 +2x120 should be the same after it gets up to temp.

That is what I am planning on doing. Pretty much going to be building the same setup that you are as soon as the rampage 3 comes out. Only with 5870s and 6gb ram instead of 5970s and 12.

OK, sounds good. It would have to be one loop instead of 2, though.

Back