• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jahmal

Registered
Hi all,

Im new here as a active user, but sometimes I read some threads about AMD processors.

I have some doubts about OC my CPU + MEMORY.

My system config is :

-AMD Phenom II 955 BE;
-ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3;
-Corsair XMS3 CL9 4Gg (2x2Gb) 1333;
-ThermalRight HR-02 MACHO;
-CORSAIR 600W Gamer Edition.

What you guys suggest me to OC this system? Idle temp is around 28º ( winter in Portugal - 10-15º outside ) and 38º max full load ( playing games e.g.)
ATM Im at work, so when I get home I can post some CPU-z pictures or something. Tell me what you need me to provide ;)

kind regards
jahmal

Hey there 28-38,,, dude, thats alot of room for over clocking , but tell me does that proccessor hav an unlocked multiplier , if not then u will have to play around with the frontside bus.and be very carefull if your gna do that coz other than ur cpu, u can damage other components

I think you are confusing two things: Unlocked multiplier and unlocking cores. It has an unlocked multiplier but the Phenom II X4 955 Deneb CPU does not have any cores to unlock. It starts life as a quad core and there are no locked cores. You should turn core unlocker off in bios or you will not be able to monitor core temps. Turning core unlocker on in bios interferes with core temp reading. Please download and install Prime95 and HWMonitor. Open HWmonitor on the desktop. Then run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Then report back with CPU temps (which may be labeled generically as one of the TMPINx lines in HWMonitor) and core temps. We especially need core temps. Playing games will not give us the info we need about max temps but stressing with Prime95 will. Jahmal if you have been hanging around the forum any amount of time you will know this is how we do things here. Also, please download and install CPU-z. You will be needing it later. HWMonitr, Prime95 and CPU-z are standard programs we always use around this forum to help people in their overclocking journey.

By the way, welcome aboard!

Last edited:
yep, i was wondering how he could possibly hav such low max temps, thought maybe he was using water cooling.

Oh,

Ok ok.. my mistake, sorry. Can you please give me an example about what core unlocker do? It seems that it unlocks processor cores that are unused, am I right?

After some investigation, I get that all 4 cores are by default, avaiable. Sorry again for my wrong feedback.
I think the core unlocker is OFF so, the temps are those that I said before.

Oh,

Ok ok.. my mistake, sorry. Can you please give me an example about what core unlocker do? It seems that it unlocks processor cores that are unused, am I right?

Correct. But your CPU does not have any locked cores to begin with.

You still need to stress the CPU with Prime95 and monitor temps with HWMonitor as I described earlier. Games just do not tax the CPU enough to cause maximum temperatures and to confirm stability when overclocking.

Thank you for your fast feedback ;)

Ill probably do it tonight ( 2.30 pm in Portugal) As soon as I get some results Ill update this topic.

br,
jahmal

Like this:

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Thank you!
Actually I use all that applications from the past when I undervolt my laptop. Im familiar with all of those.
I'll recheck my bios settings then Ill run prime95 for 20m and capture the monitors. It will be all default settings with core unlocker OFF as well.

br,
jahmal

Hi all,
As I said, the core unlocker is disabled( OFF) , so the temperature values are fine. Below you can see the monitorings:

IDLE:

KVM0p.jpg

Tq2uU.jpg

P86s0.jpg

LOAD [prime95 for 20minutes ++ ] [ all data was collected while full load ]

Cno7P.jpg.png

UQqsY.jpg

mEnZC.jpg

Memory

xF8c5.jpg

3R4vf.jpg

ySXO9.jpg

rgrds,

jahmal

So raise the cpu multiplier to 17 from 16 and run P95 Blend mode again for 20 mins and check cpu/CPU Core temps both and see that they are still okay.

Keep increasing the multiplier (as RGone said) a step or half a step (.5x) at a time and after each increase run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. At some point you will fail the test (either blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one or more of the Prime95 core workers quits). At the point, increase the CPU voltage by .025 and retest. Increase the CPU voltage as necessary to restore stability (i.e., to be able to pass the test). Always have HWMonitor open in the background when you run the stress test. Repeat this process. You don't want your core temps to exceed 60c or your CPU temp to exceed 70c. If you reach either of those temps during testing, don't add any more voltage. That's when you are at your max overclock. Report back with pics of CPU-z tab, "CPU" and of HWMonitor immediately following the last test.

jahmahl, pleas create a "Sig" which contains your system info. The Sig appears below your post entry everytime you post and it contains your system info. This is very helpful to those helping you since info you may have supplied about your components gets lost as the thread gets longer. To create a Sig, click on Quick Links and then Edit Signature at the top of the page. Please include info about the make and model of your CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, ram, PSU, casse, video card and OS.

Thanks for the Sig. Please add info about your case (or "chassis" as you good folks in Europe sometimes say).

Back