• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshvb20

Ive just overclocked my pc to 4.8 ghz I was woundering what voltages I should have, Ive been crashing quite frequently

BIOS Settings: Pc specs:
Asrock 980de3-u3s3 Mobo and a 650w power supply
CPU: AMD FX 4300
RAM: 16GB

Welcome to the Forums Joshvb20. I'm going to make the assumption you haven't read Dolk's guide yet. It's a great place to start. If you are crashing frequently then you are not at a stable overclock. I would suggest backing it down to stock and following Dolk's guide. I know it's written for the Phenom II but the FX series overclock exactly the same. Other factors that will determine OC success is cooling. Do you have a factory cooler installed or an aftermarket one? If so which one?

EDIT: I just googled your motherboard as I haven't seen that one here before. Seems there's a reason. That's not going to be a very good candidate for overclocking. It lacks the VRM heatsinks that come with better motherboards. I'm not saying you can't overclock with it, but I am saying you run a higher risk of burning up that board in the process.

Budget board..ick for overclocking. Get a fan on the vrm and cross your fingers...

...check out that guide!

Joshvb20, that's probably an overclock level that is too aggressive for that 760 chipset motherboard. The power delivery components are just not very stout.

Beyond that we really don't have enough information about your settings to help much. For instance, we know how much memory you have installed but we don't know the frequency you are trying to run it at.

Neither do we know what you are cooling the CPU with and what your load temps are. Instability can be cause by overheating of the CPU cores or certain motherboard components.

We much prefer pictures directly attached to your posts rather than links to pictures. To attach a pic first crop and save it with Windows Snipping Tool or similar utility. Then click on the "Go Advanced" button at the lower right corner of any new post window. That will allow you to find the pics and attach them.

What would expedite this whole process is if you would download and install the following software tools: HWMonitor, Prime95 and CPU-z. Prime95 is a stress test/stability testing tool. The other two are reporting tools.

To begin with, please attach pics of the following three tabs from CPU-z: "CPU," "Memory," and "SPD". If you are using mixed memory modules please add an attached pic of the "SPD" tab for each RAM slot.

What would also help is if you would create a Signature listing your component in more detail than you give in post #1. You may reference mine if you wish for guidance about what we are looking for. To create a "Sig" go to the top of the page, upper right corner and click on "Settings." Look down the left side of the Settngs page and find "Edit Signature."

With a 4+1 phase count and no heatsink I wouldn't do it. It's possible but not really what I would consider safe.

I've got an FX-4350 on an Asus 970 4+1 phase board running at 4.6 stable and for several years 24/7 (wife's computer). Of course, it does have nice heat sinks on the VRM.

Back