• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC on my Crucial Ballistix Tactictal LP Low Voltage 16GB 4x4GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedlineDyno

Registered
Here is my ram:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/blt4k4g3d1608et3lx0

Quick question:

Since I OC'd my CPU and my base clock is now higher I can't use the XMP profile. So my memory is running at 8-8-8-24 1900mhz and I up'd the voltage to 1.64v.

My question is.. being a low voltage memory requiring 1.35v should I have them at 1.64v or will I damage them? Or do they only pull what they need UP to 1.64v? I only put 1.64v because I was following an over clocking tutorial that recommended to do so. To be perfectly honest I don't care if the memory is even overclocked, I suppose I could play with my bclck and multiplier to get just the CPU oc'd and put the memory back to XMP?

What do you all suggest? Also I've heard tightening timmings is more advantageous than overclocking when it comes to memory. Is this true? I'll have to research more on timings and how they work..

In my current config i have not bsod yet, I've passed 10 passes of intel burn test on high and I'm about to do memtest86, I just don't want to hurt the ram.

My whole system is:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-930 currently @ 3.8ghz
Mushkin 1TB SSD
16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP ram
Gigabyte Nvdia GTX-970 G1
Thermalright U120eXtreme CPU cooler push/pull
Antex 900 case
EVGA Super Nova 850 G2 80+ PSU

the bclk is current 190mhz
ram multiplier is 10
cpu mulitplier is 20
dram 1.64v
ioh 1.3v
vcore 1.3v
uncore ratio 20
qpi/vtt 1.375v

Windows 10

Thank you

Thanks, I can drop the multiplier to 8 but then they are operating slightly under 1600hmz.

Soooooo keep on pushing up on the CPU until they hit 1600 (I think CPU is 4Ghz? 4.2)... orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tighten them down there! That's the fun with that platform!

When you set bclk @200 then memory can work at 1600 and this Crucial RAM can probably run at CL7-7-7 ~1.50-1.65V. I had a chance to test 8GB modules on X58 and I was able to set them at 1600 7-7-7 ~1.55V.

Same ram works in my AMD platform @ 6-8-6-x @ 1600 @ 1.65v ;)
Been running that way for years.

Are you sure it's Tactical LP, not standard Tactical ? LP are low profile and not that old series. All my newer Crucials couldn't run at CL6 1600 or higher while I could push them up to 2000-2133 at 7-7-7 or 8-8-8 ( depends from kit ). Also my 2x8GB 1600 8-8-8 Tactical LP didn't like AMD at all. On ASUS CHV it was working only on manual settings and didn't want to overclock above ~1700.
I think that standard height Tactical kits were on the market for over a year longer than LP. I don't remember exactly.

Here is my 2x8GB LP review made on Z77 board. I don't think I have any X58 results anymore.
http://www.overclockers.com/crucial-ballistix-tactical-lp-16-gb-ddr3-1600-review/

My bad. I totally overlooked the low profile. Mine are the standard height.

Thanks guys! When I began overclocking the CPU and started by isolating the bclk I was having issues with my bclk once it hit 194, so I might not be able to do 200. Maybe it was just a black hole. I'll have to keep tweaking and playing with the numbers. I also have no knowledge yet on tightening timings so I'll have to research on that. I did run memtest86 for 2 hours and the ram had no issues @ 1900mhz. I also ran prime95 and intelburntest for a few hours with no issues. Then I oc'd my gtx970 +500hmz memory +140core, I'm pretty happy about that haha

If you can't pass 200 then try to lower CPU ratio by 1 and check again. Usually at max CPU ratio you won't make really high bclk. 200-210 was possible on all chips I had ( count like 15+, I don't remember exactly but mixed i7 and Xeons ).
Also check QPI/VTT 1.45V or even higher. Depends from board it sometimes requires to set 1.55V ( mainly on ASUS boards, GB probably won't need more than ~1.45V ). Sometimes ~1.2V IOH can stabilize CPU and then you won't need higher QPI/VTT.

Back