• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC suggestion Asus P5W DH Deluxe / Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EddieExecutor

Hy there ...

I've just pulled out my old rig from 4 years back out of the closet and the thing still works. Than i've cleaned it and made some small updates, so now i've got this:

Intel Q6600 B3 2.4ghz
Intel SSD 520 120gb
WD 250GB SATA II 7200RPM Bulk/OEM Hard Drive WD2500JS
Asus P5W DH DELUXE ( Latest BIOS 3002 ver. )
Asus Arctic Square Cooler
Asus 8800GTS 320 MB
LC Power 6600 (600 W)
PATRIOT PC2-6400 DDR2 800Mhz 2x2gb Pair( PDC24G6400ELK 5-5-5-12, 1.9V )

How can i get a stable OC out of this???

P.s .. i've got a KINGSTON 2x1gb PC 6400 800mhz ram, should i add it to the spec since i've still got 2 more slots left =? or will this slow down the Patriot gaming RAM ??

Tnx for any suggestions

Regards

EE

You could OC to about 3.2Ghz if you watch this Video and study this guy's settings! Also do not mix and match ram otherwise your set up will crash. AJ.

There is also a list of videos to watch and decide how far you want to go, Best of luck.

Last edited:
Along with that video, at this site, we have step by step instructions. In my signature is a link to C2D/C2Q(what you have) overclocking. Check it out.

:welcome: to the OCF EddieExecutor

This board is hard for overclocking and you can expect to set maximum stable FSB at about 380-400MHz so in this case you can make about 3.4-3.5GHz on Q6600 if you keep low enough cpu temp.
I had Q6600@~3.1GHz on box cooler running F@H for about 1 year so I think that on any better cooler you can make up to 3.4-3.5GHz.
To set higher FSB you have to change MCH and FSB voltages and don't worry even if you set them to the max available in BIOS then it should be fine ( just depends from cooling in the case, chipset can overheat ).

If you mix these both memory kits then try to set manually DDR2-800 clock and 5-5-5-15 timings. It's not guaranteed that you make it run together but can always try. When you set higher FSB then remember to lower memory ratio.

1 tip. when you set anything stable then save it in profile. This board will reset all BIOS settings if it won't be able to boot. It's better to have profile than waste time to set everything from the beginning.

Rly rly tnx to all replyers ...

I'll post some pictures of BIOS and CPU-Z and other progs what did i achieve tomorrow so we see what more can be done. Anyways i intend to buy new GPU ( HD7770 ) to run WOW and DOTA 2 on HIGH rates (sad that the MB doesn't support SLI, couse i can get 8800gts for 15€ now =) LOLZ i've paid 250€ for that GPU back in days ... i think those specs will be fine for those 2 games ...

I've very excited that i'll free my work rig from games which is needed for rendering and stuff ...

I''ll keep in touch tomorrow when the proces of OC begins!"!

TNX AGAIN! =)

Hy there again ... i've done some amazing stuff couse of your suggestions ...

Now i'm running 3.2ghz Q6600 with 6gb of ram on 5-5-5-5-12 clock / 975 mhz STABLE ...

I'll post pictures in other thread so if anyone need it in the future ...

Tnx again

EE

Back