• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing Advice AMD FX-8350 & Asrock 970M Pro3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Typically, motherboard fan headers will handle fans up to at least 1 amp or 1 amp total if split between more than one fan.

But it is strange that the manufacturer would label a 3 pin fan header as PWM. Three pin can do voltage control but not PWM.

SP120, IIRC, draws 0.3A?

Motherboard headers, unless otherwise specified in the manual, can typically handle up to 1A (wasn't sure what you meant up there, trents! :))

IIRC your MB is your limiting factor on OCing that FX-8350 faster. I know the Asus Sabertooth R2.0 and the Crosshair V Formula Z can take that CPU to ~ 5.3/5.4 GHz with a 240mm AIO. I'm not sure what you use the computer for but that FX (8c/8t) CPU got beat DOWN by Intel's 4c/8t CPUs.

IIRC your MB is your limiting factor on OCing that FX-8350 faster. I know the Asus Sabertooth R2.0 and the Crosshair V Formula Z can take that CPU to ~ 5.3/5.4 GHz with a 240mm AIO. I'm not sure what you use the computer for but that FX (8c/8t) CPU got beat DOWN by Intel's 4c/8t CPUs.

Thank you for your input lol but i wish people would stop recommending me ATX Mobos lol, Im using Matx, also i have used AMD for years, at their price point they poop on intel with price vs performance in my opinion

AMD FX 8XXX will only OC as far as the Mb power delivery and cooling you can give it. There is no way around it unfortunately there are NO mATX MB out there to compare to the top 3 ATX MB available, trust me I looked. To OC beyond where you currently are will not be possible without going to one of the best ATX boards and better cooling.

SP120, IIRC, draws 0.3A?

Motherboard headers, unless otherwise specified in the manual, can typically handle up to 1A (wasn't sure what you meant up there, trents! :))

Huh? We both said almost exactly the same thing, didn't we?

Huh? We both said almost exactly the same thing, didn't we?
I wasn't sure what you were trying to say...(I even said that too).

Fan count is irrelevant 1A max is 1A max (unless otherwise specified). Perhaps it was only me that was confused. :chair:

EDIT: I see now....a single fan up to 1A, or multiple fans totaling 1A. The wording was awkward to my eyes.

Okay another topic here guys ! i see conflicting answers when i look around C6 state On or Off ?

"C6 is a power state available to the processor as a power-saving measure. The only effect it would have is if you leave the computer idle for a while. You might notice a slight bit of lag when you first use the computer as the processor changes power states."

If it causes it to hang on wake up, disable it.

Last edited:
Back