• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing with the GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do I need to change in my BIOS exactly?

me = n00b in training.

Update:

I just learned something. If I change the PCI-E Frequency to anything other than "Auto," it will make all of my BIOS values load as factory settings. So in my case, I need to keep it on "Auto" instead of "100."

I read that my board does that on another forum.

Update 2:

Ohhhh I see the power saving features. They are both disabled now. Rebooting...

Last edited:
You don't "need" to change anything... EIST and C1E are both power-saving features built-in to the CPU. The options in your BIOS should be called...

Code:
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)
CPU EIST Function

I got it!
OC.jpg

Does everything look like it should? Also, what is the best program to test system stability?

I did the mixed test on Prime and my average temp was 60c. It hit 66c for like 2 seconds and then dropped back down. I read that 72c is the highest you wanna go with the e8400.

I don't have that program. I'll download it and re-run the testing.

It'll be a bit. My girlfriend is on my computer...I'm on the laptop. /pukes

Okay, I have Realtemp and Prime95. What exactly are you looking for? I ran the heat test and all. It saved 3 text documents to my desktop. They all say "passed."

The VID of your chip... Real Temp--> "Settings" page--> Max Core VID.

Attachments

• RealTemp.jpg
    RealTemp.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,877
I'm assuming that those numbers are stable. I've been playing all sorts of games for hours on end with no problems, and temps of 60c at the most.

Can I go higher?

Yes, you can go higher. Even though the VID is fairly high, you have an E0 stepping E8400 which is capable of significantly more than just 3.6 GHz. Start raising the FSB from the current 400 MHz, leaving the NB strap at 1:1. For each 10 MHz increase in FSB the effective DRAM frequency will increase by 20 MHz (410 / 820, 420 / 840, etc.) As the speed of the memory increases you may need to start loosening sub-timings, leaving the four primary timings at 5-5-5-15. Run Memtest86+ after each 10 MHz increase in FSB, and check for stability before booting into Windows. You should be able to 4.0 GHz quite easily w/ that chip - 445 MHz x 9, still at 1:1 and 890 MHz DRAM freq.

Okay. I get what you're saying. All except for "loosening sub-timings."

Last edited:
My RAM tested out fine at 400 / 800.

I bumped it up to 410 / 820, and everything looks good after testing.

I searched around and I think I understand Sub-Timings. Well, I know how to access them haha.

Let me make sure I got my vocabulary right:

Standard Timing Conrtol: 5-5-5-15
Advanced Timing Control (Sub-Timings): 3-3-6-42-3-6-0

Yes, sub-timings are all but the 4 primary timings (5-5-5-15 / CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) as seen in this Memset pic...

Attachments

• Memset.jpg
    Memset.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,173
Oh, okay.

Well, It's at 3.78GHz now, and I've been running a "maximum heat" stress test with Prime95 while monitoring it with RealTemp for 30 minutes. The average load temp is 67c and 66c. For a split second Core 0 hit 69c and immediately returned to 67c.

Idle temp is 41c-42c.

I'm pretty impressed with the stock fan and heatsink so far.

I have an Asus fan and heatsink that looks much beefier that I may try out and see if it's any better.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=618330

I wouldn't go any higher w/ the Vcore until you get a better HSF, but you should be able to hit 4.0 GHz or higher anyway on the default Vcore (VID.)

I haven't touched any voltages that I know of. They should be the same, right?

Might I add:

You're probably getting sick of all of these questions, but look at it this way... Once I've learned, I'll be able to help any new-comers. Save you the trouble haha.

Thanks, man.

Back