• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ EB rev.2 PC4200 running DDR2-650 with 3-2-2-8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerXLT8

This is amazing, the OCZ EB Rev. 2 Platinum* PC4200(DDR2-533) is supposed to runa t 533mhz with 3-2-2-8 timings. Now since I've had this memory(less than a week) I've gradually increased the frequency, I started out running it under spec and then changed dividers around and eventually made my way up to DDR2-626 with 3-2-2-8 and I thought how much more could I really push this memory, so I pumped up the volts to 2.2v(gotta love OCZ EVP) to make sure I gave it all the juice I could because I wanted to try and boot at DDR2-650+. Well it booted and seems to be stable.... I'm curious as to what others people results are with this memory, because so far I'm totally impressed and shocked at the performance....

Here's a screenie...
http://img240.exs.cx/img240/7884/ddr26506cw.jpg

Last edited:
Ok after running 2 instances of prime95 and memtest, one of the prime95 failed, that was at 4.155ghz with vcore of only 1.32v. So I dropped down to 4.12ghz and bumped up the vcore to 1.40 and I'm running 2 instances of Prime95 and FAH so if there's any weaknesses I will be getting some errors.

Here is a screenie at DDR2-646, 4.12ghz, I have a feeling that since I raised the vcore I'm going to be stable and be able to push it up to atleast 4.2, but first it has to run 2 Prime95 and FAH all night.

http://img215.exs.cx/img215/7027/ddr2646stable8ro.jpg

Here is my OCZ EB rev 2 PC2-4200 screenshot at DDR2-700 using 3-2-2-8.

OCZ-EB-cpuz-max.JPG

A word of warning for those with Abit AA8XE mobos, you need the latest BIOS for this RAM to work.

batboy said:
Here is my OCZ EB rev 2 PC2-4200 screenshot at DDR2-700 using 3-2-2-8.

OCZ-EB-cpuz-max.JPG

A word of warning for those with Abit AA8XE mobos, you need the latest BIOS for this RAM to work.

man iam liking that ram alot..!

voltage?? ru settin them to 2.2?? and ru gettin heat issues?? give more details plz!!

Yeah, I ran 2.2v on that screenshot... but it'll do DDR2-600 with the same timings at 1.9v and DDR2-667 at 2.0v. I have good case ventilation, so the RAM seems to be staying relatively cool, but I don't normally run it above 2.0v except for an occasional benchie. It'll run PCmark2004 benchmarks all day at 2.0v.

batboy said:
Yeah, I ran 2.2v on that screenshot... but it'll do DDR2-600 with the same timings at 1.9v and DDR2-667 at 2.0v. I have good case ventilation, so the RAM seems to be staying relatively cool, but I don't normally run it above 2.0v except for an occasional benchie. It'll run PCmark2004 benchmarks all day at 2.0v.

2.2v is still safe i believe.. its an excellent feature in that ram the support for 2.2v.. or at least thats wots they say on the site.. up to u in the end :D

See guys the only reason I was at 2.2 is because I THOUGHT it would need that much, but come to find out not soo much needed. I'm running at 2.00v and the heatspreaders aren't much warmer then the case temp.

However I'm running into stability problems on the CPU side of things, 236 FSB, vcore set to auto and is reading about 1.35v Now If I raise the voltage it doesn't seem to help. I have a feeling that i've reached the limits of my XP-90 w\92mm Panaflo M1a because it's running at 4.020ghz 55c. My case temp is 34, which is kinda warm so I'm gonna have to bust out the Dremel and put in some 80mm Panaflos L1a fans because I do have 2-3 brand new ones laying around. .

RangerXLT8 said:
See guys the only reason I was at 2.2 is because I THOUGHT it would need that much, but come to find out not soo much needed. I'm running at 2.00v and the heatspreaders aren't much warmer then the case temp.

However I'm running into stability problems on the CPU side of things, 236 FSB, vcore set to auto and is reading about 1.35v Now If I raise the voltage it doesn't seem to help. I have a feeling that i've reached the limits of my XP-90 w\92mm Panaflo M1a because it's running at 4.020ghz 55c. My case temp is 34, which is kinda warm so I'm gonna have to bust out the Dremel and put in some 80mm Panaflos L1a fans because I do have 2-3 brand new ones laying around. .

amazes me really that ur runnin xp-90 not xp-120 on this rig.. the only thing that wud prevent me from gettin an xp-120 is the compatibility.. anyways uve done great! :D

Mud said:
amazes me really that ur runnin xp-90 not xp-120 on this rig.. the only thing that wud prevent me from gettin an xp-120 is the compatibility.. anyways uve done great! :D

Thanks buddy, seems that the instability was beinf caused by insuffceint chipset\FSB voltage. Bumped them up a little bit and I'm running P95 longer then I have at 4.155ghz, 1.42v but my CPU temp is 64c!!. Now from what I've read these new Prescott cores can take alot of heat, but 64c is pretty hot for me so I will be ordering an XP-120 this week. I do have a Sunon 80mm high flow fan, probably pushes more air then the 92mm Panaflo M1a.

I'm going to run some Sandra benchies right now!

I would try to keep load temps down to the low 60's. Don't underestimate what a XP-90 will do, but you need a high speed 92mm fan that moves a lot of air. Improving case ventilation will certainly help too.

batboy said:
I would try to keep load temps down to the low 60's. Don't underestimate what a XP-90 will do, but you need a high speed 92mm fan that moves a lot of air. Improving case ventilation will certainly help too.

Better fan or bigger heatsink... I have hit a wall. CPU is not Prime95 stable at anything over 235FSB or 4.002ghz, by stable I mean 24hr Prime95. Whenever I raise voltage above auto she heats up very fast to 58-60c and that is too hot for me.

The memory on the otherhand bareley gets warm. I did do some case modifications with the Dremel to mount an 80mm fan over the memory northbrigde area.

you have just further persuaded me that this is definitely the ram that i'll be getting for my LGA775 setup when i have enough cash :attn:

Okay I just ordered the new Thermalright XP-90C and a Panaflo 92mm Ultra-High fan. Currently I have the regular XP-90 with 92mm Panaflo medium so I'm hoping this will allow me to attain a higher more stable OC, inturn allowing me to push my memory to it's full capabilities at 1:1. I did add an 80mm Vantec Stealth to blow on my memory and this dropped case temp by 3c, dropping my CPU temp atleat 1c maybe 2c.

Back