• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Gold Edition VX PC-3200 versus Mushkin Redline XP3200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
not bh-5 or ch-5. not these days. to clear up the confusion,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211 BH-died UTT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227204 CH-died UTT

he said gold VX, which the first stuff is, despite the fact it doesnt say VX, thats what its known as.

forgive my noobness but if the first stuff can do 2-2-2 at 2.8v and the latter can do the same timings but requires 3.2v, what is the value of the latter stuff? even more so, why is the latter more expensive?

the latter stuff usually scales higher with less voltage. it takes more voltage for the latter stuff to hit ddr400 2-2-2 but you can probably get to ddr460 with that same 3.2v, and probably to 490 with 3.3v and 510 with 3.4v. the first stuff might need 2.8v for ddr400 2-2-2, but that same 2.8v wll only get you to like 430, then 3.0v might get you to 460 and 3.5v might get you to 510, if your lucky.

Duonger said:
how many boards out there can hit 3.5v?

DFI NF4 Series

DFI RDX-CR (Crossfire Motherboard)

Abit AN8 (up to 3.55 I believe?)

Sapphire Grouper (still largely unavailable)

DFI CF-BT (another DFI board based on the ATI reference design; still no word on availability)

DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert (NF4 refresh board with better VTT due out soon)

deception``

Duonger said:
yes the oc`er but average joe and avg gamers are using asus, abit, etc.

Duonger

The average joe is also not in the market for Redline, or even Mushkins 2GB products (as an example) which would be considered more enthusiast-based. The point is that there is an enthusiast market, regardless of how large or small.

The key to any successful business like Mushkin, OCZ, etc is to know what type of products to deliver (for servers, average users, enthusiasts, etc) and how much of each individual product for a specific market.

The problem with UTT is that is was made TOO available; unlike old-school Bh-5, UTT was easily had by both the experienced and newbs alike. This is why we have so many return rates as we have seen - some are due to uncontrollable issues, but many of them are due largely to user error (such as the very popular 'omg let me run the DFI NF4 with a 20-pin unit and use the 4-vdimm jumper!')

deception``

Last edited:
I still think the TCCD/5 holds a better future than UTT. Really, the gaming performance between the two are very similar (TCCD/5 at 300fsb is like UTT at 250fsb)... not exactly, but fairly close enough to say "What's the point of UTT anyways if it's going to put competition against something (TCCD/5) that already does well?"

g0dM@n said:
I still think the TCCD/5 holds a better future than UTT. Really, the gaming performance between the two are very similar (TCCD/5 at 300fsb is like UTT at 250fsb)... not exactly, but fairly close enough to say "What's the point of UTT anyways if it's going to put competition against something (TCCD/5) that already does well?"

Both TCCD/TCC5 and UTT have their ups and downs, but in the end they both come out neck to neck.

Even though TCCD can do high freq it does require some loose timings which I don't mind longest I'm not benching but it has MHz to make up for it.

UTT is just the opposite and can do high freq as well (not as high as TCCD) but at tight timings which is what makes up for MHz loss.

The only bad thing about UTT or any Winbond chip in general they do require some high Vdimm if you want to push them, that's where Samsung chips take the cake.

I only have UTT instead of TCCD/5 because it's cheaper and performs almost just as good; otherwise, I saw sammie takes the lead in all other aspects. If you think of a CPUs final OC with either ram... TCCD/5 will win at least in ease of use.

Whatever... just don't "pretend" that your TCCD is UTT, and you'll be fine.

g0dM@n said:
make something like this if you can... use a hanger to make them into clips and put them in series if you want (that part is up to you):

i was thinking about ziptying an 80mm fan to the horizontal bar near the top of the motherboard (antec plusview 1000amg LE case) to have it blow air down and in between the modules. since this would put the fan about an inch or inch and a half away from the modules i'm not sure if that'll be good enough for 3.2-3.3 volts.

what is the recommended method of burning in this ram too? should i crank up the voltage to 3.2 and run memtest for 24 hours, then turn it off for a few hours and do it again?

Thanks.

benbaked said:
what is the recommended method of burning in this ram too? should i crank up the voltage to 3.2 and run memtest for 24 hours, then turn it off for a few hours and do it again?

Thanks.

I usually run memtest #5 at a slightly unstable setting overnight. 3.2v sounds right... I ran mine at like 3.4v, only b/c I have outstanding active cooling. Find a setting where you don't get more than a 1 or 2 errors per loop on the avg. Don't do it really unstable... you can do it stable if you want... it's your preference.

Super Nade and g0dM@n share a bed... I mean, share a friendship.

Back