• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Gold Edition VX PC-3200 versus Mushkin Redline XP3200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i read those modules are warrantied up to 3.5v, not a problem with my nf2 board.

i mounted an 80mm fan directly above them and ziptied to the case. after 24 hrs of testing at 3.2v friday night i turned the computer off and the modules were only slightly warm to the touch. it's perhaps a little ghetto, but it seems to be doing the job well. i'll take a picture of it later tonight.

You need to know one thing when you're cooling your ram: If you took one, or even a few, memory chips and they are not hot, it does NOT mean that you're fine. You need to check every single one and make sure that they are all equally cooled. If one chip hits a dead spot for airflow, you're gonna bet your *** that it'll bring down performance. It could make a huge difference, so always check that.

hmm, very good point. i'll check that when i get home. how much $$ would a temp probe set me back? also, what temp should i be worried about with ram chips?

Honestly, I have no idea what temps are good and bad OFFICIALY... but what I can tell you is that I've known of my old Radeon 9700pro ram chips getting superhot to the touch, yet still being rock stable. My bet is anything up to 70C would be still fine, although I highly doubt it'll get that hot with lots of airflow... mine don't even feel warm when I'm blasting the 60mm fans all over it. :)

You don't really need a temp probe... what are you gonna put one on each?! That would be 16 probes per stick, lol... just use your fingers, but please don't burn them!

years ago on THG i saw a video where they were taking heatsinks off of pentium iii's and amd palominos while running them at full load and they had some kind of temp probe where they shined this laser at a certain point and it read back the celsius temp. i remember the palomino getting up to over 300 celsius and smoking both the board and processor. it was actually a pretty cool video. i think one of those temp probes (maybe that's not what its called) would be a useful thing to have.

i have the same stuff but its not vx and im running 2-2-2-5 3.4v at 252fsb (280 with a 9/10 divider). vx is warrantied up to 3.5v mine is only 3.3v. i dont know much about you mb or cpu but ill bet you can hit 260 easy with this stuff

here is a picture

30319303697.jpg

It's a good start, but you're still gonna get hot on the other side of the ram.

ben, I have placed 2 x 80mm fans directly on top of the RAM. The fans are secured by rubberbands and zip-ties. You need to place those fans directly above the RAM. I'm running 3.6+0.03 V through my RAM :D

g0dM@n said:
Did you use a fishing line to connect them together? :)

What kinda fans did you use... btw, I used 60mm fans, not 65mm... still, the more the merrier, or should I say the bigger the better.
Whoops. Yep they are the Masscool 60mm's. They don't take up alot of space in a mid tower. They are about a half inch on each side longer than the ram.

I didn't use the fishing line, but instead chose some tiny zip ties.
PA240018.jpg

Here it is in action controlled by a Zalman fan mate.
PB010003.jpg
They kick out alot of air.

NICE BRO!! OMG I'm so proud that someone is making use of the 3 60mm method!! :)

How did you mount the fans to the ram?
Where is the light coming from (the zalman)?

They have LEDs on ram that bright now? I had the Geil Golden Dragon 2x256 PC3500 about 2 years ago. They had red LED lights on them (small ones). Those are the only lights I had ever seen on ram before. Is his lighting coming from the dimms themselves or an external power source connected directly to the PSU.

LOL. I am running 3.1v through the Trasers. They get really bright along the bottom edge of the sticks. I mounted it by wedging it between my heatsink and cables.

So now that you have insane cooling on your ram, what voltage do you plan on throwing to them? Are those micron -5B C chips? I see your sig says 2.5-2-2-6...

I haven't taken the heatspreaders off yet but I have a good guess that they are -5B G. I still don't know what kind of voltages they can take or how high of a fsb they will go because of the mobo's that I have been using. The Abit can do higher fsb but 2.8v and the DFI can do 3.1v and topping out at HTT260. Doesn't matter if I am using a 9x multi. I know they can't be -5B D because from what I have been seeing -5B D's can't do CAS of 2.5. It would be great if it was miracle ram that did tight timings and high fsb with semi tight timings. I was getting 280MHz @ 2.5-3-3-8 on my Abit using modded BIOS with 3.1v and no AGP locks. So anything higher than HTT280 gave my AGP frequency upwards of 100. I plan on getting a NF4 chipset and dual channel memory controller. Maybe I can do something with that :shrug:.

Your AGP frequency went that high? Wow, I never even knew what the heck kind of gain you get out of raising that (more bandwidth, but who needs more bandwidth on AGP these days?).

I have never heard of what performance the other -5B (X) models get. I had the C, dunno about the D or G, but I have seen someone push 3.3v to his C, and get some serious overclock.

I have modded BIOS for this DFI too that puts vdimm at 4v but I have to do volt mods to the mobo for the BIOS to actually run that voltage. The funny thing is, is that I have seen people hitting 3.2GHz plus on this cpu and I can't break HTT of 260 using a divider.

i've got the ram running prime stable at 240 2-2-3-11 1T with 3.2v. the modules are staying cool, but i am going to make a ram cooler to put on top of them just to help out further.

my mobile barton is a complete and utter dud for overclocking so i have it sitting stock at 2.0ghz and 1.45vcore, where it seems to run best. maybe one of these days if i can find a good week and stepping mobile barton that can do 2.5 or 2.6 on air i'll consider picking it up. it's not like i have a bad cooler for air, the heatsink and fan are both beefy; but this mobile won't even do 2.3ghz @ 1.7vcore :-/

this ram has got me over 1gig better memory read bandwidth then what i was getting and i'm really psyched about that :attn:

next year when the dualcores come down in price some more i'll start building an a64.

Back