• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ PC3200EL Plat. Rev2 warranty questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sevendevilhell

friend just set up a box for himself. here are the specs.

MSI K8N Neo4 Ultra
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester core
1 GB OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Edition rev. 2 (running dual channel)
Leadtek GeForce 6600GT "Extreme Edition" PCI-x16
Fortron Blue Storm 500w PSU
Western Digital 80 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache, SATA 150
ThermalTake Tsunami case

we decided to overclock a bit. added 5 MHz to the FSB (no overvolt or anything), and prime95 hit an error after 2 minutes and memtest got 6 errors in its first 30%.

so it's a memory problem. any chance this RAM has problems overclocking in dual channel? it shouldn't though since it's sold as a dual-channel set and it's guaranteed up to DDR540, 3.0 vDIMM and 2-2-2-5. one thing i just noticed though is that we never ran prime95 without overclocking, so i'll try that and then post back later.

Last edited:
I am confused.....DDR540 at 2-2-2-5 and 3.0v? I can promise you that you are mistaken. Got a link to this ram? Raise the voltage a little bit, and go from there. Usually, a small voltage bump will take care of errors in memtest. I wouldn't lose faith in OCZ just yet :)

-Collin-

you really should be more thorough in your testing before posting things like this.ive found accusations like this get more negative responces than posative help.

im gonna say the error is your fault in bios settings.
it also seems you have alot of to learn about ocing as you dont just pop the HTT up and say there,this ram sux it dont work.

What volts are you running currently?

And, if its 3200, then its only guarranteed up to DDR 200 2.xvDIMM @ 2-2-2-5.

They may cover the RAM ran @ 3.0VDIMM and 540(Like, if it literally stops working) but I doubt they will guarantee an overclock.

No one does, unless you buy the 3700... 4000...4200...4400... 5000 etc. etc.etc.

What are you talking about???? :confused:

Maybe you should change the title of your thread, cause it's WAY off.

Where did you EVER read that your PC3200 was Guaranteed to 540MHZ 2-2-2-5 at 3.0volts, There is NO ram that will do that at 3.0 volts. :rolleyes:

There's no point in pointing fingers until you do more testing. Try memtest at default speed and voltage. If you get errors then you'll probably want to contact ocz.

Yeah, they haven't even had the opportunity to "live up to their warranty". Now if it wouldn't perform to spec and you called for an RMA and they told you to go jump in a lake, then your post title would be valid.

Also there is NO GUARANTEE that the mem will OC. If it's DDR400 then it must perform to spec at 200mhz without error, not 201mhz but 200mhz.

It could even be your memory controler, i had some GEIL Golden Dragon that would never past memtest in my NF2 rig but when i put it on my A64 NF4 and 875 it passed every time at the stock specs. Now i have differnt memory in my NF2 and it passes memtest at 260fsb so go figure it just did not like my GEIL.

Like many other people have stated here, that ram is spec'ed for 2-2-2-5 at 200 fsb and doesn't guarrantee that it will overclock higher than that with 2-2-2-5 timings.

My experience with OCZ and their support has been great. I had bought a 1 gig kit of PC3200 VX a few months ago and it turns out that 1 stick of it was bad and wouldn't even run at 200 fsb and 2.5-3-4-10 timings, much less tighter timings and OCZ not only gave me great RMA service but I just got the replacement kit in this morning and they upgraded my PC3200 VX to PC4000 VX sticks. I call that great service myself.

Even if it turns out that you do have a bad kit of ddr, give OCZ a chance to make it good. I've had bad ram from Corsair and Crucial also, and they both made good on their warrantee too. You know the old saying "Stuff happens".:D

wtf.gif
icon_smile_screwy.gif

it's not that i don't know what i'm doing...

overvolt?

it was a 5 MHz bump. but actually, i haven't lost any faith. i just found it a bit odd.

but i started the prime95 test over again and it's running fine at a few hours now.
so i don't know what went wrong with that first test.

moved it to single channel and it declocked the RAM to 175...

FSB is at 210 and memory is at 175.

this BIOS is odd...

ok so we tried the memory in slots 1 and 4, and now it's running the 210 FSB stable with the memory up to sync, but it's in single channel.

we think it may be that slot 2 on the board is gone wrong somehow, so we'll see if slots 3 and 4 give us dual channel with a stable overclock.

Last edited:
and it works!!!

slots 3 and 4, we've got 210 FSB, memory sync and running stable in dual channel so far. about to begin prime95 testing and leave it overnight.

ok so this motherboard seems to be the thing acting weird. we've got the RAM in slots 3 and 4, with the tabs open on slots 1 and 2. it's in dual channel at 210 FSB, RAM up to sync and 2-2-2-5 timings. no voltage bump or anything and it did over 18 passes of memrest stble. last time we checked prime95 had 6 hours stable when we were originally getting errors at no more than 1 hour. we got sandra for him, but haven't tested the memory with it yet. his bandwidth in dual channel is sitting around 5 GB/s. so hopefully we've figured out the problem.

Last edited:
motherboard is the problem. it won't run higher than 219 FSB.

so we're switching that mug to DFI.

Back