• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

odd ram problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

first time building a PC in a decade, my 20's got in the way

threw together an i8400, MSI-B360-A Pro and some patriot viper ram 16gb (2x8gb) in a case and decent power supply

question 1) is the PCIE-PWR connector mandatory? I'm going on board video to start, I'll pick up a mid range video card in a bit, but oddly my EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 doesn't have that plug. I thought it was a good power supply, am I wrong?

question 2) the computer won't boot with ram in dim slot 1 or 2, it'll work fine with either stick in slot 3 or 4, and I can even load both sticks in 3 and 4, but that doesn't get me dual channel ram. I've tried testing sticks one at a time and no luck. thoughts?

Thanks for the help

First that PSU should have two of the 6+2 PCIe power cables according to the specs. You won't need that for the iGPU.
If the RAM isn't working in 1 and 2 likely there's a bad channel on the motherboard. You can try resetting the BIOS, they should work in slots 2 and 4 if they don' and the ram is fine it's your board.

Ditto on the PSU. I have one and my GTX 1070 uses both 6+2 plugs. The plugs should be marked PCI-E. The manual calls for dual channel DIMMS to be in slots A2 (slot 2) and B2 (slot 4) on that board.

+1 on the memory in the correct slots according to the manual. Otherwise it might not post. Sometimes the slot pins are making poor contact with the memory try cleaning with a clean toothbrush.

Back