• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd Sata Hd problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aeiou

My Sata hard drive has just started to have some issues. It was running just fine untill I unhooked the computer to clean oput the dust. When I Hooked everything back up (I had not even really touched either of the hd's, let alone mess with the conectors or settings) the sata drive started to make wierd noises, like a really old loud hd used to make with kind of a beeping sound. The first time I was able to get back into windows, but It was a bit unstable, even though it is on the other hd, but the swap file is on the sata, I think. Anyways. it was unstable and I had to reboot. I unplugged each drive to see which one it was and wasn't able to get into windows again at all with the Sata drive plugged in. Fortunately, I was still able to just run the one drive. I really need that drive for my pictures (been tough to get them backed up like they should be, but i think I have most of them on cd somewhere) and for tv recordings. Any ideas as to what it could be, how it could be fixed? I think this happened to my other drive a while back, too. It worked again after sitting for a while, so maybe I'll try that.

Hmmmmmm....
Now it seems to be working fine....
Copying all important stuff to the other hd though, bfr anything else goes wrong!

hmmmmm...
its doing it again...
I put it back in the computer (had taken the enclosure with the 2 hdds out to easier work on it, got it to work fine out there. Put it back in and it made them same symptoms. At least my data is safely on the other drive, though.

I don't think it is an overheating problem because they were getting the exact same cooling outside as inside the case, as the fan for the hdd's is right in front of the drive cage. Must be something with the drive itself.

anyone have any suggestions? It is still doing the same thing. I tried running the seagate diagnostics tool but when I booted into it it seemed to crash. Odd....

Back