• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd Windows 10 login behavior

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

A client whose computer I am servicing does something I have never seen.

As soon as the last character of her Windows password is typed in the Windows 10 login screen it loads the Windows desktop. You don't have to hit the Enter key or click on anything. This isn't a setting is it? Can't find any info on the net about it.

This computer was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 several weeks ago. Several days ago it began to exhibit erratic behavior. I restarted it and it did a disk check and repaired some stuff but his login issue persists.

Right now I'm scanning for malware and after that I will do another chkdsk /f /r and sfc /scannow scan from command prompt.

Any ideas?

I have upgraded many Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machines and this is the first time I have encountered this. If it were normal, why haven't I seen this before?

I'm assuming it's your first time using a pin instead of a password.

Yeah....I cannot find anything online, either technet or otherwise on this issue.
There are auto-login options of course, but this obviously isn't one of them. Gonna keep digging cos this one is interesting.

Well, I think so. Now you've got my attention. Please explain. What's the difference?

A pin is set for a Microsoft account, then you can use it to log in faster without typing a complex password every time.

I'm assuming it's your first time using a pin instead of a password.
Yep.. did this to me on the pin as well. Normal. :)

The difference is it's a pin, numeric, versus a password, alpha and numeric. It's an option you setup in windows (to use a pin or pw), I believe associated with MS account too.

^
And it seems that some people are able to have it so that when they enter the correct pin, it simply logs them in.
And others, it doesn't work.

The only page I could find on the issue was from a technet insider preview thread where someone was wondering how to turn the login without hitting enter back on.

Yep.. did this to me on the pin as well. Normal. :)

The difference is it's a pin, numeric, versus a password, alpha and numeric. It's an option you setup in windows (to use a pin or pw), I believe associated with MS account too.

Yes, it is associated with the MS account from what I found out in researching the PIN option.

- - - Updated - - -

^
And it seems that some people are able to have it so that when they enter the correct pin, it simply logs them in.
And others, it doesn't work.

That's good to know, that you won't find this behavior necessarily when using PIN login. So many Windows behaviors are like that. They are found with certain hardware combinations and not with others. Can be frustrating. It's the reason for a lot of patches and updates I suppose.

The only page I could find on the issue was from a technet insider preview thread where someone was wondering how to turn the login without hitting enter back on.

Yeah. Think this is just another reason I am likely to hold off on migrating to 10 for a while. Should not have so many conditional behaviors.

It's meant to function that way, what's the problem?
If you don't want a PIN, don't set one up....................................

Meh, there are other issues, but other threads for that, and not the tin-hat thead either lol.

i run it on all of my machines no real issues that are caused by 10.. besides the govt stealing my identity and what not.

as for the OP i too was surprised when that happened... i eventually just set all my accounts to local much easier to manage unless you use the sync for settings and what not.

I use a PIN for my user account, as it's more or less the family account. It's set to "0000", and as I press the fourth "0", nothing happens. However, when I press "0" again, it logs me on. Weird, right?

I stripped that account of all administrative rights, and I created another Microsoft account that's linked to my main email that will eventually serve as the admin account for every machine in the house once they're all finished. This account has a strong password that will remain uniform across all of my machines, regardless of which machine I change it on when that time comes.

I use a PIN for my user account, as it's more or less the family account. It's set to "0000", and as I press the fourth "0", nothing happens. However, when I press "0" again, it logs me on. Weird, right?

I stripped that account of all administrative rights, and I created another Microsoft account that's linked to my main email that will eventually serve as the admin account for every machine in the house once they're all finished. This account has a strong password that will remain uniform across all of my machines, regardless of which machine I change it on when that time comes.

Are you pressing a key before typing "0000" to get the lock screen out of the way and actually typing in the PIN?

Yes, but I'm not including that. All together, I press "0" (lock screen), then "0000" (PIN) and a final "0" (effectively "enter") before it logs me in.

Yes, but I'm not including that. All together, I press "0" (lock screen), then "0000" (PIN) and a final "0" (effectively "enter") before it logs me in.

Just making sure as that was the first thing that came to mind.
I'm honestly not sure what would cause that, have you tried another PIN?

No, it doesn't really bother me, I just mash the "0" button until I see the desktop anyway, lol.

Just thought it was interesting.

Back