• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost copy and paste functionality Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
Odd issue with a fresh install of Windows 10 (installation is about two weeks old)

-Copy and paste initially worked fine
-I've rebooted yet the problem persists
-When I attempt to copy and paste all I get is a short noise from windows
-I have one mapped drive to my NAS, but the problem is also local to the machines SSD
-I've tried sfc /scannow and chkdsk
-Also tried a command prompt with the echo off switch, and still no luck

Any advice would be appreciated!

What apps are the source/destination?

Can you copy/paste from other apps to other apps (something different is the point there)?

What apps are the source/destination?

Can you copy/paste from other apps to other apps (something different is the point there)?
No dice, not able to copy or paste either from the network drive OR from the local SSD.

-When I try to copy files from the mapped drive I just get the short noise and nothing gets copied
-Unable to copy/paste from USB thumb drive
-Unable to copy/paste using test folders on local SSD only

The source was originally from the mapped network drive. Also just created a new user account (with admin prev) and the same thing happens so this is beyond something wrong with just my profile.

Ok, so to be clear, it is just FILES that are not working, but you can copy/paste text from MS Word to Notepad? Or URL from tab to tab in a browser, for example? Just trying to gauge the scope here.

Does windows error reporting tell you anything? If you get a 'short noise' (which I am assuming is the halt noise) I would imagine there to be a log entry.

Do you have remote desktop connection up by chance? Or get a windows update recently (try rolling back to a restore point from just before when it happened)?

No remote desktop I have that disabled on the local machine. You are correct, copy/paste works from word to notepad so it's just FILES that don't work.

Event Viewer has some interesting errors but nothing appears to coincide with the actual time of attempting the copy/paste procedure. Looked in other logs as well.

No updates recently as this Windows 10 installation media is of the latest build

Problem seemed to crop up a few days after setting up my local area network here and mapping the network drive, but that could just be coincidental.

I recently installed Crysis 2 and that's what I've been playing lately. Other use for the PC is a media center for my picture library (I have 10,000+ pictures on my NAS)

So I do a lot of copying and pasting from the network back to the local machine.

Only thing I did which could be considered suspect is that I installed Windows 10 on the machine while overclocked to 3.8Ghz

This is a 960T processor unlocked to a hexacore Thuban running at 3.8Ghz (daily driver settings and it's stable so I don't think it's connected, but you never know)

No updates recently as this Windows 10 installation media is of the latest build
that doesnt mean minor updates havent come in... not sure how you manage those/shut them down. I ask as a quick Google brought me to RDP being an issue as well as a windows update.

Does the problem remain if you take the machine off the network? Would it the allow you to copy and paste to a thumb drive for instance? Can you still drag and drop to and from another drive using only the mouse instead of menus?

Does the problem remain if you take the machine off the network? Would it the allow you to copy and paste to a thumb drive for instance? Can you still drag and drop to and from another drive using only the mouse instead of menus?

If I disable the network adapter the problem remains. Even if I use the mouse only to copy/paste the problem persists.

To give you a little network topology I have the LAN adapter assigned to 192.168.1.10 and that's how I connect to my NAS (which has a static network address of 192.168.1.250)

My Panda wireless card gets a dynamic address for connection to the internet, on a different subnet than my LAN. And again, even if I disable both network adapters the problem persists.

One odd little coincidence is that I occasionally here a noise like a USB thumb drive being disconnected, but I know it happens even if I don't have the thumb drive inserted. Once every 30 minutes or so I hear this noise even if I am not working on the computer.

And I'm holding myself back from a complete re-install of Windows 10 because I'm going to lose all my progress in Crysis 2 :D

You can copy the save game file(s) and drop them back in the new install in the same path??

One odd little coincidence is that I occasionally here a noise like a USB thumb drive being disconnected, but I know it happens even if I don't have the thumb drive inserted. Once every 30 minutes or so I hear this noise even if I am not working on the computer.
you should find some sort of system event associated with that... I'd keep looking... also check those updates.

Last edited:
You can copy the save game file(s) and drop them back in the new install in the same path??

you should find some sort of system event associated with that... I'd keep looking... also check those updates.

It's more than just the saved game files. My Crysis 2 install disk has been corrupted so I don't have any pathway to re-install the game itself.

I would have to seek out another option like TPB or something like that, and I don't want to do that if at all possible.

Just curios if it works with a drag and drop instead of copy and paste?

Just curios if it works with a drag and drop instead of copy and paste?

That's a negative. Cannot drag and drop either. But keep in mind, if I open a text document I can copy and paste in there so the clipboard is working, albeit with limited functionality.

RDP isn't running at the moment. And I did confirm that some updates did in fact go through, so I'm sorting through that right now to see if any of them would create a problem like this.

Capture_rdp.PNG

List of updates installed on the local machine:

Capture_updates.PNG

Kind of sounds like file explorer may be partially broken. Is this a spinner or flash storage? How old is the drive? Have you checked the SMART info with say Crystaldiskinfo? Was this problem present before you did the clean install mentioned in post #1?

Kind of sounds like file explorer may be partially broken. Is this a spinner or flash storage? How old is the drive? Have you checked the SMART info with say Crystaldiskinfo? Was this problem present before you did the clean install mentioned in post #1?

No the issue was not present before the clean install. It has just cropped up in the past week or so. The local drive is a solid state Intel. (DC 3500 series) - I've checked with Crystaldiskinfo and everything looks good but the drive is pretty old. The NAS uses two 500GB Hitachi Deskstars in Raid 1.

I found a video with the sound I'm getting. Go to 2:56 and listen to the "background" sound and that's what happens whenever I try pasting.

If I cant get going by the end of the day I'm just going to go ahead and re-install Windows 10. Really bizarre problem with apparently no resolution. Never seen anything like it before.

I would certainly disconnect the machine in question from the network and disconnect all internal drives except the one the OS is going on before you re-install Windows. Windows installations do some strange things sometimes when multiple drives are connected.

Back