• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oem x6 heatsink for OC x4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

96shox

Registered
I have a x2 555 unlocked to a x4 b55 @3.4Ghz on stock heatsink. Idles around 40c.

If I can get my hands on a oem x6 heatsink, the one that has 4 copper heatpipes, for around $15, would that be a good deal or is there a better aftermarket one for around $20?
20sy9he.jpg

I can't go too tall on aftermarket coolers because I have a sidefan (NZXT alpha case)

Nothing for $20. Everything I can find at that price is just crap for people who care more about flashing lights than performance.

You should be able to mount the LOKI either north-south or east-west configuration.

Theoretically you can also mount the side fan on the outside of the case window. That's what I did with my Armor after I upgraded the side fan.

You should be able to mount the LOKI either north-south or east-west configuration.

Theoretically you can also mount the side fan on the outside of the case window. That's what I did with my Armor after I upgraded the side fan.

Thanks, but Im trying to see how it could mount all ways. It seems like the heatpipe will get int he way of the AMD mounting system if you try to turn it.

Also, is there a back plate that needs installing for the large aftermarket heatsinks for AMD?

It will only mount blowing front to back. And, yes, it does require removing the motherboard to install a back plate.

Attachments

• Xigmatek.JPG
    Xigmatek.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 171
It will only mount blowing front to back. And, yes, it does require removing the motherboard to install a back plate.

i think you mean up and down, because the bracket goes up to down

No, I meant what I said and I said what I meant. If you look at the diagram from the owner's manual, you will see the longer side of the rectangle formed by the retention bracket holes is parallel to the face of the cooler. On AMD boards the long sides of the retention bracket are parallel to the front and back edges of the motherboard. So, the face of the cooler is going to be parallel to the front and back of the motherboard and the case. To put it another way, the I/O ports in that diagram are not visible but would opposite the back of the cooler. You can see the main power plug connector and the ram slots parallel to and in front of the other cooler face and you can see the top edge of the board just to the right side of the end of the cooler. I think you were misjudging the visual aspect of the manual's picture. The bottom edge of each illustration shows the front edge of the motherboard so that the view is the front of the motherboard to to the back.

Attachments

• cooler.JPG
    cooler.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
So the metal bracket that normally runs through the middle of the heatsink on AMD fans is NOT used on this heatsink? Because if it is, I dont see how it can allow the fan to point front or rear. The heat pipes would be in the way.

Maybe the CPU slot on my mobo is rotated from others?

This one doesn't have a metal bracket that runs through the center of the heat sink and then snaps onto the retention bracket nubbins. This one has brackets that are attached by little screws to the base plate edges of the cooler. Then the ends of the brackets are pulled down by the retaining nuts at each corner. Have you gone to the manufacturer's website and actually looked at the manual?

Last edited:
Thanks, ya in that case I can see how it can be mounted in that orientation. I figured all AMD heatinks just used the stock style clips/bracket.

Thanks again

Go with a refurbed CM212+. On their website they're going for $15+like $9 shipping, pretty cheap to get a solid cooler.

Go with a refurbed CM212+. On their website they're going for $15+like $9 shipping, pretty cheap to get a solid cooler.

unless I can get conformation from someone with a NZXT alpah case that this cooler fits, Im pretty sure it wont being 120mm.

Yes, the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ will fit in that case. It will fit in essentially any case that is at least 8" wide or greater from side panel to side panel outside measurement. The NZXT Alpha is 8.2" wide. This is true of any of the 120mm fan-based tower coolers. And an excellent suggestion for a cooler, I might add.

Yes, the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ will fit in that case. It will fit in essentially any case that is at least 8" wide or greater from side panel to side panel outside measurement. The NZXT Alpha is 8.2" wide. This is true of any of the 120mm fan-based tower coolers. And an excellent suggestion for a cooler, I might add.

I have a side fan that will interfere with large CPU coolers.

I have a side fan too in my Antec 300 but it's low enough down on the side panel that it's not in the way of my huge TRUE cooler. It depends on where the side fan is located and it may also depend on whether the case provides for top mount or bottom mount PSU placement. Besides, you can always remove the side fan. Good CPU cooling is the higher priority IMO.

I agree though my side fan is inline with my cpu cooler. And while I believe in function over form, i dont want a hole in side of my case and the fan actually blows right on my graphics card which helps it a lot so Im not planning on removing it.

Ill have to find some NZXT Alpha owners and see what coolers they have successfully used

Somebody over in Classifieds had a Corsair H70 water system for sale for $30. They're roughly about as good as good aftermarket air.

Back