• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED *OFFICIAL* Kaby Lake Overclocking results thread!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You do realize, RPierce, outsode of a couple games and and activities ram that fast really doesn't matter, right? So long as you know that and don't care... go with your bad self on Super fast ram. I just didn't want you buying it expecting improvements.

You do realize, RPierce, outsode of a couple games and and cavities ram that fast really doesn't matter, right? So long as you know that and don't care... go with your bad self on Super fast ram. I just didn't want you buying it expecting improvements.

Yes sir. Im aware. But its always fun to see how fast we can get something :)

Im fairly new to this OC thing (this is my first rig I have messed with it on to be honest) but it sure is addicting!!!

The 3600 kit over the 3866 kit? Will the 3600 kit OC to the same (or better) clock and timing numbers as the 3866? (Im running an MSI Z270 M7 gaming board for reference, with a i7-7700k currently over clocked to 5.1 @ 1.385 on water)

These sticks will probably run 3866 at XMP timings with a slight voltage increases. To me they look slightly better binned than the 18-19-19

So, for the time being Ill hold off on that RAM purchase, as with a little more voltage (OK, a lot, currently at 1.490 DRAM, 1.260 on SO and IA) its stable in bench testing. RAM is cool to the touch. Not sure how these speeds look though with that loose of timing?

R_Pierce / i7-7700k / 5.1 @ 1.392 / 3733 + 20-20-20-41-2T / MSI Z270 Gaming M7 + Bios 1.2 / No / Havent tested stability with AIDA 64 yet, will do and update later.

*might have to right click and open image in new tab, then click to zoom, as I have a 4k monitor*

NnnuV5I.jpg

What memory kit do you have ?
On MSI Z270 Gaming max fully stable will be ~3866 ( with some luck 4000 but I wouldn't expect more ).
Re that linked memory, Trident Z 2x8GB 3600 CL16 will overclock the same as 3866 CL18 or 4000 CL19. What more 2x8GB 3200 CL14 or 3000 CL14 are on the same memory chips. All is matter of luck, some will overclock a bit better, some a bit worse but generally all Trident Z based on 8GB single sided modules will make 4000+. You can check some tests in my thread ( in sig or sticky in memory section ).

I'm not sure if changing this memory has any point. If you play some more with timings then you can probably set them tighter but it will take some time. I would try DDR4-3600 and something like 16-17-17 or 16-18-18. If you make it work then it will be faster than 3733/3866 CL20. Still for games it won't make any special difference.

I'm not sure if changing this memory has any point. If you play some more with timings then you can probably set them tighter but it will take some time. I would try DDR4-3600 and something like 16-17-17 or 16-18-18. If you make it work then it will be faster than 3733/3866 CL20. Still for games it won't make any special difference.

Ended up not getting to mess with this tonight, had to build a rig for my girls son. Wish I would have had a rig like his when I was 11. Ill mess with this a bit more when I get home in the morning, see what we can do!

When I was about 11-12 then I burned CPU clock/frequency display thinking I'm overclocking CPU. At the end all was working without changes except I couldn't see CPU frequency ( turbo or normal mode ). It was about beginning of overclocking for me.

Alright, did a little more playing around tonight. Got the ram at 3600 like woomack suggested and was able to get it stable at 16-17-17-28-CR2. It wouldnt post at 15, or 16-16-16.

P6w7qRk.jpg

Last edited:
Just did a delid (repasted with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) on my i7 and prime95 temps went from 85C after 30 mins down to 54C after 30 mins at 4.8ghz, looks like I now have some more wiggle room to hit 5.0...

Back