• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

official worst tech experience thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
These stories are a lot of fun... Ill just give a couple of records

- broke 2000 Instances in Ad-Aware
- As far as viruses go I think my record is 300ish
- One customer wanted a monitor with a copy of windows xp on it. After many many times of explaining to her.... She came in and purchased a 17" and an oem copy of xp home.... on top of the box. :D
- Had an old HP box come in from a dog kennel. Had been outside for like 6-7 years and never cleaned out.. so nasty.
- I got a free laser printer beacause... Couple brought in the printer and said it worked fine when you first turned it on but would cut off after a few minutes.... power saving features. They refused to pay the 25$ service fee so I kept it.
-

I am so glad that I do tech for one company now instead of retail. I may do the flyer thing though... never hurts.

Last edited:
As a customer, Dealing with Mcafee [making quotes in the air with my fingers] customer support [/making quotes in the air with my fingers]. Sorry, uninstalling and reinstalling for every problem is NOT an acceptable solution to fix.

Gabbiani said:
- As far as viruses go I think my record is 300ish

my record: 462 instances on the computer that held the accounting database at a university :D

'Customer Service is like chewing on broken glass. Only a hundred times less fun'

'Even Satan wouldn't use customer service as a form of punishment'

Lucas, www.ctrlaltdel-online.com

I've been battling with the customer service of UPC (our cable / broadband provider) ever since we got connected.

My worst tech experiance was with Adelphia internet.
I just got my fisrt copy of XP and got it all set up and progams goin to my liking. This is about the time when a virus was going after the RPC.
Ok after like 6 hours of getting XP setup (first timer and all). I went to connect to cable internet. Nothing. Kept getting 192., so I called my provider and mentioend the issue. The final advice (against my better judgement) was to drop my firewall protection. Within 5 seconds my pc was getting the RPC restart. "I don't want to drop my firewall for security concerns." He assured me it was ok and he needed to have me do this so he could check my connection. I then told the tech "your instructions just cost me my install". He denied it was his fault.
I asked for a level 2 tech, told her what happened, she told me "why in the hell did you drop your firewall?" I told her the name of the rep, and what transpired. Man oh man was that a nightmare. I lost 2 days on my very first install of XP and connecting to cable. That was the worst tech I ever undertook. Minus trying to talk to HP/Compaq support.
The rest for me repairing pc's is just run of the mill issues. Gross living conditions in homes I entered, or just plain strange folks.

This is my worst Tech support story

First some background, I work for a small computer company that sells VERY high end systems to major and minor league teams, as well as stadiums and arenas. Our systems are designed to run the jumbo tron and video screens.

So any way i get a call from a customer and he says that he is having major problems with his two systems. After working through all the standard problems we discover that they did not like windows 2k and "upgraded" to Windows NT because it a supported operating system on their network. Our systems require specialized hardware and cannot be assembled or installed by just any one. Needless to say i told the guy he was going to have to send the systems to me.

Three days later Fedex shows up with a couple of cardboard boxes that don't sound too good. I opened them up and the idiot had shipped $90,000 worth of computer parts in two small cardboard boxes with NO PACKING at all, no newspaper, packing peanuts, foam anything. So i open up the two systems to see what is still salvage able and find that one of the full length video cards in his replay system has come loose and the pcb has had all the chips, resistors, and caps sheared right off. The replacement cost on just this one card is around $8000.

While i was looking for any working parts the guy calls me and asks if they have arrived yet, so i tell him yes. He then asks how long it will take me to fix them, to which i respond that its going to take two weeks and around $35,000. This did not make him happy, first he ******* at me for 30min and when i finally get him to understand that it was his packing job and had nothing to do with me... well i could almost hear the color draining from his face.

After about two days of work i was able to salvage one system out of the two broken parts, i reinstalled and repaired his data, and shipped it back. He calls about a week later and has a question about how to make something work, on the phone he sounded very desperate for help and revealed that his boss was in a meeting to see weather he was going to have a job any longer, and he wanted to try to do something right to try to save it. Well that was the last i ever heard from this guy and to this day i have sitting in a box in many broken pieces a $45,000 replay computer system. I don't think he kept his job, and i don't think the stadium he worked for can yet afford to repair the unit.

So the morel of the story... Any time your shipping $90,000 worth of computer equipment pack it in a real box, with foam and get insurance on the stuff it could be your job.

threeme2189 said:
NeVeR TuRn OfF yOuR fIrEwAlL!!!!!!!

I turn mine off once in a while when something won't work and I can't configure it to let it work. Never had a problem. Could be that I'm over a router w/ hardware firewall though.

By turning off my firewall agianst my better judgment. I got 3 months of cable for free. It was fresh install so no real harm done. Some trouble shooting is done without a firewall running. It was when the RPC thing was new and shiney so you could go without a firewall somewhat safely until that time it got automated. MS didn't even have the patch out yet. Needless to say it was a nightmare.

Back