• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh No!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if i do try that and turn it on wont it just fry. It was a clean break for the most part except for like 2 tiny wires that frayed out a little bit.

I'd say at this point, it's worth a shot. The card's pretty much toast anyhow. I dont see the risk in trying.

You could try tossing it in the oven with theram chip RIGHT over where it broke off.. the solder should melt and then let it cool down and harden. I've heard of people doing this but I don't know if its actually ever worked. I'd imageing that everything else soldered on would fall out.

well considering what the bottom of the chip looks like i dont know if i can solder that small. I was thinking my best bet would be if i just took it off altogether and hope that it ran with 192mb of memory instead of 256 bit thats just wishfull thinking as i dont think that could be realisticly made.

apu318 said:
You could try tossing it in the oven with theram chip RIGHT over where it broke off.. the solder should melt and then let it cool down and harden. I've heard of people doing this but I don't know if its actually ever worked. I'd imageing that everything else soldered on would fall out.

Just think about what you said.....if the solder melts under the ram chip, then the solder on the rest of the board will too. All your surface mount components will slide out of place or fall off. If you wanted to honestly try to repair this (I'd say it's hopless though...especially if there are "wires" poking out of the board.) you'll need solder paste and a hot air solder gun. Since it's toast, I'd say go for it, but expect it to remain "fubar'd."

corruption said:
Just think about what you said.....if the solder melts under the ram chip, then the solder on the rest of the board will too. All your surface mount components will slide out of place or fall off. If you wanted to honestly try to repair this (I'd say it's hopless though...especially if there are "wires" poking out of the board.) you'll need solder paste and a hot air solder gun. Since it's toast, I'd say go for it, but expect it to remain "fubar'd."

Well I guess you missed this...
apu318 said:

ok here is what i am going to do or at least try....

I looked at the card for about 30 minutes thinking about what to do. Im going to buy some liquid defogger repair paint stuff or whatever the trace pen that you can get at radio shack and try to dot on every one of those little dots as seen in the picture. Then stick it on and pray.

It fits back on like a puzzle piece so i think this might have an actual chance at working. The problem is getting those little wires in the right spot. There are 3 of the wires that got pulled up slightly.... One of them got pulled up quite a bit. I have laid them back to where i think they went. and put little dabs of super glue on a part to keep it down. I will go to radio shack and try this tommorow. Any thoughts... I dont really have a lot to loose.

I don't know if its woth a shot. I have had video cards kill motherboards before (and ironically it was a Viperjohn 9500 modded card. Wasn't his fault though. The dude on ebay's fault). Is it worth the risk? Just ebay it. Surely someone else can try it.

No but I sell all my broken crap on ebay. I sold a broken a7n8x-x motherboard for like.. 3/4 the price. People like to try and fix crap that is broken. I am sure some of them try to use it to RMA stuff, but since it doesn't work, I don't worry about that. Might as well try it at least. IF it goes for 10 bucks, its 10 bucks more than you have.

well i did the circuit writer thing... i started off doing it very carefully but i soon relized how impossible of a task i was try to do. I quickly finished it and let it dry for a while. Popped it in an old asus 266 and booted to a bunch of artifacts, a loud beeping, and the smell of burning something. Pretty much what i expected. Oh well. Maybe i will try again later or let it dry more.

Well, next time you want to remove anything epoxied, turn your freezer down to the coldest setting, put the videocard in a zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer overnight. Then twist the heatsinks off. It has worked for me on videocard cores as well as memory chips.

Back