• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok I am gonna give 2x256mb gskill a try

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
crimedog said:
zzzzzzzzz

hopefully this thread doesn't become like his ultimate winchester thread (which he never updated with results.) why was that anyway? because they were so bad?
In short since he wont talk about it...yes thats why. I try to be honest when things dont go well as you all know. Hopefully he will do the same this round :-/

2x256mb has its uses and 2x512mb has it uses depending what I run. I really wish I could stick with just 2x512mb for everything but it just doesnt clock high enough. Maybe when OCz or some other company makes really good 2x512mb ram that can do ddr600+ at 2.5-3-3-x I will sell all my tccd and buy just that ram. what bios setting change? all I would need to do is lower my fsb for my 2x512. I wont have to swap often, maybe twice a month, id stick to all the games that like 2x512 then when I swap, I play all the games that dont need more than 2x256 ram, back and forth twice a month. as for my winchester thread, I have said plenty, it was getting heated with flames so I didnt bother. some even went as far to refuse to believe I had a winchester so I said forget it, they are too stubbon.

Overclocker550 said:
2x256mb has its uses and 2x512mb has it uses depending what I run. I really wish I could stick with just 2x512mb for everything but it just doesnt clock high enough. Maybe when OCz or some other company makes really good 2x512mb ram that can do ddr600+ at 2.5-3-3-x I will sell all my tccd and buy just that ram. what bios setting change? all I would need to do is lower my fsb for my 2x512. I wont have to swap often, maybe twice a month, id stick to all the games that like 2x512 then when I swap, I play all the games that dont need more than 2x256 ram, back and forth twice a month. as for my winchester thread, I have said plenty, it was getting heated with flames so I didnt bother. some even went as far to refuse to believe I had a winchester so I said forget it, they are too stubbon.

Nearly everyone but you clocks their 2x512 kits to acceptable performance levels. If I had 2x256 it wouldn't matter how fast the memory was because I'd be seeing more pagefile usage to slow me down anyway. So basically you're either going to be swapping memory kits all the time or letting your memory dictate which programs you run?!? OCZ doesn't need to make the ram you described for DDR600 2.5-3-3-x 1T because they already made VX to do 250+ at 2-2-2-x 1T which is as fast or faster in nearly everything but sandra's bandwidth test. Those high memory speeds you're chasing so desperately aren't nearly as beneficial as you're making them out to be. If you have to waste $150 on more memory to come to that conclusion then so be it.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever to support this claim about 50Mhz in ram frequency equating to a 16.7% increase in bandwidth or 250Mhz in cpu clock frequency? There are probably people reading that right now getting the idea that ram frequency is far more important than it is.

Last edited:
Overclocker550 said:
I dont care much for suicide screenies, I was able to get to windows up to ddr500 with my corsair value but it wasnt stable at even 215 unless I took 1 stick out. My ondie controller can load windows at 280fsb with this patriot ram but its not stable much past 250. I could probably get ddr600 easy at 2.5-3-3 but it being stable or even 3dmarkable is another story. I bet all those guys getting crazy screens like 320-350 were suicide screens, if they could bench 3dmark they would tear the orb down with insane scores, I would get 24k with my eyes closed at those bandwith

there were some questions as to the validity of some of the multi/fsb. some mb's will show those speeds but arent really running that fast. im getting a dfi/a64 in the next week or 2. im gonna mate that with a prommy and some speed tested pc5000 from komusa. so, ill know for sure how fast the best tccd will run (STABLE)

bandwith scales almost linear but I find that each MHz higher ram bandwith is worth 4 to 5MHz on the cpu. Also keep in mind my cpu clocks will go up with ram clocks, right now I run 262x9=2.36GHz because the ondie controller cant handle 2x512mb higher so rather than running async in order to get my cpu higher, I get the same performance 1:1 with lower cpu clocks but more ram bandwith. 285x9=2.57GHz is my most realistic goal, I will be gaining 210MHz cpu clocks and 23MHz more ram bandwith and gonna shoot for 24k marks. 2x256mb always clocks higher than 2x512mb. Its not a waste of $150 because I will use that ram to speed up whatever I am doing, also I take fun in benching. One more thing, samsung stopped making gskill so my $150 ram will probably actually make me profit as prices soar very soon

Once again do you have ANY evidence to support your claims? How about trying 313x8 w/ a 2/3 memory divider and 2-2-2-x 1T timings. This should result in a CPU frequency of 2500 & mem speed of DDR416 and even your lowly 2x512Mb sticks can surely handle that. Additionally the tight timings will make up for the "lost" bandwidth you seem to prize above all else. No sandra won't show a huge bar under the bandwidth heading, but I'll just bet if you run p95s benchmark or 2001se you'll find the scores are very impressive.

Once again I've tested this and the difference between 2-2-2-x 1T and 2.5-3-3-x 1T is about 50Mhz in memory speed which seems pretty steep to me.

yes ive tested this and I score much better at ddr500 2.5-3-3 vs. ddr400 at 2-2-2. I only need 25fsb to make up for slightly loser timing. Your system is different but mine seems to really value bandwith. why dont we wait till I get this 2x256 gskill la and lets see how much my score goes up with bandwith. By the way I have a 21.7k score at 250x8, 22.2k at 262x8. I am hoping to get near 22.5k at 2GHz with 333x6=2GHz by the way there is no point arguing, each system is different. what works for me may not work for you, simple as that. its all in the configuration

Same architecture, same motherboard, same memory chips, same settings, but your results are so drastically different than everyone else's? Please show me proof of just one solitary thing you've said in this thread. The whole 16.7% thing, the 50Mhz = 250Mhz thing, this 2-2-2-x = 2.5-3-3-x +25Mhz thing. Anything. You make these very specific claims, but you never offer anything to back them up. Post up your p95 or 2001se scores at 313x8 2-2-2-x 1T. I'm not trying to argue with you, I just want to learn and share information. Some of the stuff you say makes no sense to me and I'm fairly certain confuses others as well. I simply seek validation of some of your claims.

i agree

wholeheartedly with the proof.

also, OCC550, I will bet your motherboard has more to do with the higher HTT than your CPU.

but, continue on with your quest, this is interesting to say the least, it would be nice if you just once ran some tests for bandwidth and posted them, your rig, not some copy and paste from somewhere else, so that we could actually see what you are trying to prove. that way you would be presenting imperical evidence as to your claims.

print screen, paint, upload to a free hosting site, postage. pretty simple.

or, use some of the storage your ISP offers, that is where I park my files and pics for viewage.

whatever.

baldy :-/

well my gskill 2x256mb came early! wish me luck!!!!!!!! By the way I think I have another trick up my sleeve(reguarding gpu clocks), if it works I could be looking at 24.5k with this softmodded 9500np! :eek: right now I am of course at "only" 23.1k which honestly isnt bad at all for 262x9=2.36GHz Wish me luck everyone on breaking 24k and beyond :D :eek: :cool:

Good luck. Did you burn them in at all or just goin' for the gold?

Oc550, please provide us with some actual proof of your clocks with the G. Skilll, and not just a 3D Mark orb shot.

deception``

It's possible he's always very short on specifics...for some reason.

Back