• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK Wolf, my silverstone Zeus Came in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
zeimbo said:
ive seen a dual xeon sli board that has onboard raid 10 i believe and ive heard that there is a quad opteron board with sli and scsi as well. whats the retail on those badboys?

Saw the Zippy listed once for $899.

Well, I got my 56ZF last night, installed it, and I am definitely satisified with it. Didn't seem to suffer from the low voltages on the 12v and 5v rails that the early models had. At idle, the 12v is at 12.13 and the 5v is at 5.09, under full load it drops to a perfect 12v and 5v. Of course, I am taking this with a grain of salt as I am without a multimeter for the time being and have to "trust" the Jetway MyGuard readings.
Whatever the case, it is a hell of a lot more stable than the Antec TP-480 I was using beforehand. I have yet to see any of the voltage fluxuations on the Zeus that I saw on the old TP-480 all the time...

zeimbo said:
ill have to teach you how to sleeve one of these days :santa:

Oh my, single most frustrating thing I had to do for my pc, lol! Of course it didn't help that I was missing a good amount of the "right tools." I could have REALLY used a hot knife, extra hs tubing, and some more zip ties. :(

Jod said:
Oh my, single most frustrating thing I had to do for my pc, lol! Of course it didn't help that I was missing a good amount of the "right tools." I could have REALLY used a hot knife, extra hs tubing, and some more zip ties. :(

hehe yea, the atx connector is the biggest b1tch ever. always have a scalpal, a heatgun and a 6pack to help me through my sleevejobs. sometimes i just say screw it and pay the sites (performance-pcs, frozen, etc) to do the sleeving

zeimbo said:
...a 6pack to help me through my sleevejobs.

Aha! I knew I was missin' somthin' important! :bang head

Second sleeve job below. Didn't have to mess with the nasty cable, woohoo!

IMG_0526.jpg

*Update, Feb. 10th*
Upon continual testing of tweaking the pot on this PSU I confirmed RedDragonXXX's claim of 12.60 on the rail. Complete adjustment of the pot to its maximum confirmed a result of over 12.6 to 12.67 and a 5 volt of 5.19

To put that into perspective it came stock at below 12 volts and 5 volts and I was able to make a full precise adjustment at multiple levels all the way up to almost 12.7 on the 12 volt rail and 5.20 on the 5v. Not like I will ever be needing that amount of voltage but for testing purposes I included these results anyway. :santa:

The 5v and 3.3v do not move at all and they stay exactly the same under idle and load situations.

The 12v rail fluctuates within a .04 margin from idle to load.

Let me continue to state that this PSU is most definitely badass, and let me once again thank OK Wolf for the recommendation.

Dom

zeimbo said:
but it doesnt glow under teh uv light :(

Bastage!!! Yes, I found out Vantec made UV ones the next day. To top it off my board at the time was a DFI Lanparty UT 250Gb... :bang head As you can tell from my tone...I DID not resleeve. :shrug:

RedDragonXXX said:
BTW...Jod good job on that PSU :thup:

Yea! My ewee thanks you. :cool:

And grats on your pc Dom. Isn't it great to get something that just...well...works?

*cough*
gateway 2185
*cough, cough, HACK*

GáTê©rÀ$Hë® said:
sO aDjusTing tHe pOt woUldn'T voiD thE waRrantY?
i hAve the saMe PSU but With muCh mucH loWer voltAge on The +12 (11.71 idle - 11.64 load)

wAs it tRickY to Open up the PSU cAsing?
Wolf reccomendEd this PSU long long time aGo, n i guess i Got the early rev.

wOulD this Be the rEason a US$4000+ worth of rIg bloWing up?
hehe

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=444834

LMAO... :santa: Absolutely not man. The PSU had nothing to do with my short. The power button is directly connected to the motherboard POWER SW pins and isnt anywhere near the viscinity of the PSU. BTW- My rig is fine, the case and motherboard were fried. Simply adjusting the pot on my PSU has nothing to do with the static electric discharge built up on my finger. I think it was just plain old bad luck, my fiance said I gave her a shock just kissing her when she walked in the door that night as well.

To the warranty issue. You need to call up Silverstone and explain to them your situation. Tell them you are somewhat knowledgable on the subject and see if they let you tweak the pot.

Dom

dominick32 said:
To top it all off, the damn PSU is making loud squeeling noises when the video card is under full load. I just dont know what to do with this PSU situation anymore. I am getting fed up. :bang head

What happened with the squeeling? Did that go away with the voltage adjusted?

dominick32 said:
**UPDATE**
:) <---------Yes, thats a smile on my face.
It turns out that OK Wolf was right about some of the original units being underadjusted from the factory. There is one adjustment under the hood on this bad boy. Silverstone states that this single adjustment increases the 12volt and 5volt simultaneously. Here it is:

16.jpg

I slowly adjusted it, rebooted the PC, adjusted it, rebooted the PC again until I found a decent voltage. Initially it let me adjust the 12 volt rail all the way up to 12.40 @ idle. That was way too high for me.

The way my voltages sit right now are just about perfect:

Load readings were taken with one instance of Prime95 torture test, one instance of CPU Burn-in and one DRIBBLLERR..lol for the video card.

12 = 12.06 idle, 12.01 load
5 = 5.03 idle, 5.03 load
3.3 = 3.28 idle, 3.28 load

For some reason, they only built this PSU with one adjustable pot that only allows adjustments on 12v and 5v. But I am not worried about my 3.3 anyway because it doesnt even flinch during load.

Well, my day is a little better now.
Hope this helps others considering the Zeus 560 Watt 38Amper in the future to figure out low voltage problems. The rep from silverstone said that all of the newer revisions do not have this problem.
Dom
do u know if this can be done on my psu bc i realy dont want to buy a new one?

DeepScience said:
What happened with the squeeling? Did that go away with the voltage adjusted?

To tell you the truth. The noises honestly just went away. I dont actually think it was the PSU anymore making the noises, I think is was one of the capacitors on the X1900XT video card because every once in a while using 3dmark05 the squeel will come back for a second or two during the opening of "firefly forest". Once my voltages were in line after adjusting the pot everything seemed copasetic.

Dom

EvilT said:
do u know if this can be done on my psu bc i realy dont want to buy a new one?

Call up Silverstone. Yes, it can be done but not without voiding your warranty. I dont know how happy theyre gonna be about multiple members calling them up asking for warranty breaks though... :santa: After my thread it seems a lot of people had the early version of the PSU. I would definitely call them up and see if they will allow you to tweak.

Dom

Supershanks said:
Oooops Guilty as charged :shrug:

Got mine the other week Which has best Beefy PSU Wolf kindly pointed out the fix. Very pleased with unit. Vrzone.com Article: Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF is a good review - probably less contentious than Toms Hardware :) :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for posting the pics. :thup:

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad Silverstone resolved your situation. They seem to be playing along with an honest corporate role.

Dom

My previous psu was the tagan 480 which was featured as quiet, i'm pleasently suprised that i have noticed no extra noise from the silverstone. I think it's the Zeus ST65ZF that had a reputation for being loud, judging from the reviews & my own experience the ST56ZF is quiter.

another review :-
SilverStone Zeus ST56ZF and Strider ST56F Power Supplies

They seem to be playing along with an honest corporate role.
Yes was very impressed by their prompt reply 2 my Email & practical resolution. Nice to see a Case maker make decent PSUs :p

Back