• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random shutoffs/restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vorok

Registered
I have a TruePower 430W power supply, which came with my case. It has worked fine, up until recently. Suddenly, the computer is spontaniously turning off and restarting. Whether my CPU is at full load or entirely idle, it will randomly happen. If it shuts off, I usually have to turn off the switch on the back of the PSU, then flick it back on, before I can turn the computer back on.

It has happened in Windows XP, Windows XP install (thought it was a software glitch earlier), in BIOS, and at any time while booting the computer (even after it's been off for hours). This is certainly not a heat problem.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. I'm pretty sure that the psu is responsible.

Voltages (averages reported by MBM 5):
+3.3: 3.28
+5.0: 4.84
+12.0: 11.26
-12.0: -12.12
-5.0: -5.12

Voltages (high/low range reported by MBM 5):
+3.3: 3.26, 3.28
+5.0: 4.81, 4.84
+12.0: 11.13, 11.49
-12.0: -12.19, -12.11
-5.0: -5.14, -5.09

Temperature Info (idle, currently not overclocked):
Case temperature: 22C
CPU temperature: 37C

I'm currently running on stock speeds, which I started doing once the problem started.

There seems to be nothing at all in common. I could be typing, doing nothing, BOOTING, sitting in BIOS, etc. I also tried memory test software (MemTest-86 v3.0) to rule out my RAM, but even that couldn't escape and it shut down in midtest. The computer being on is the only common element.

Hmm....can u try with a different stick of RAM?

Or if u have a spare PSU, u can try out the system with it. If the system runs fine with the different PSU, u've got the culprit. Otherwise it's back to the components...

I swapped in a 256 MB stick of RAM I was going to give to my girlfriend. No changes. Unfortunately, I have no spare power supplies to test on.

The +12 concerns me. It can dip as low as 11.07. Could that be my problem?

Edit: It just now dippled to 11V. This is my main concern and reason that I suspect the powersupply. Also, the fact that the system refuses to turn on until I flick the power switch in back leads me to suspect my psu.

Also, I've noticed that my motherboard's fan doesn't like turning on after I make ANY changes inside. That includes changing RAM, apparently, as both times I swapped, the fan refused to start. I pressed on the power connector between fan and MB a bit and it turned on both times.

Last edited:
The fan in question is one of those tiny ones that comes attached to the MB. Its connector is right next to it on the MB.

The PSU came with my Antec case, which I purchased in November of 2002.

Update: I'm going to ask my neighbor (a network admin for a hospital and has tons of computer parts in his "garage") if I can borrow a power supply from him. If it works with the new psu hooked up, I can be sure that's the problem. Otherwise, it would probably have to be the motherboard.

Frankly, I'd rather it be the power supply. It'd be a real pain to have to switch mbs again, whereas I can just slap in a new psu. I'd suspect the motherboard except for the readings on the +12V line.

Not sure how you are measuring your votages but I have read that you really can't trust software voltage monitoring programs.

Your 12v rail is definetly low if you are using a multimeter to read it. I have also read that most psu's have an acceptable 5% voltage fluctuation allowance. If my math serves me correctly then anything below 11.4 or above 12.6 would be out of spec.

Sounds like you are out of your warranty period now and would have to reach into your pocket for a new one but that would be alot cheaper than a new motherboard. I have read good things about the Fortron 530W psu,s and they are cheaper than alot of others also.

Good Luck.

Hae, I had the exact same problem. I had a Okia 420ATX 420 W. I'd just be sitting here doing nothing but reading, and the computer would shut down. Sometimes restart itself, but mostly just shut down. I would have to turn the switch on the back on and off before I could boot back up. Well, it finally got to the point where it wouldn't come back on. So I took the old 220W power supply out of my old GateWay, so far working great, no more shut downs!!
I do need to get a higher wattage power supply tho :)

99% is the 12v.
i had the same prob a few months ago and the PSU was responsible for this.

but i didnt buy a new one,i just changed all capasitors inside
and repair some cold soldering.
due to the heat soldering brakes easily after 12-20 months in
every power supply.

Update: Unfortunately, my neighbor didn't have any psus big enough (he has lots of old computers in his garage) to actually fit into my case. Old 200W ones, so I'm stuck on this computer for now.

I think I'll order a new one as a replacement. I'll also check with Antec about the warranty, which I believe is 3 years. If it's still covered, I'll send it for repair/replace and place what I get back in my Box of Stuff for Girlfriend Computer Upgrade Bonanza. :cool:

My replacement options are: Another Antec 430W, a Fortron 530W, or an Antec 480W. All are within my price range, so does anyone have any suggestions? I might consider the latter two, since I have the chance now to buy something stronger anyway. Any suggestions before I make it final?

Back